VOGONS

First post, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there. This is just a question out of plain curiosity. I am considering getting such mainboard because I have already made up my mind and will get a finished p3 1.ghz system or self made sempron 3100 system.

While browsing around for mainboards I found socket 1 Tyan Tiger 100 Mainboard that was equipped with 2 pentium 350mhz cpu and geforce fx 5500.

Sounds like a rather rather anachronistic configuration to me but as noob I might be wrong.

How common where these dual cpu mainboards back then and where they seen a decent alternative to enhance the life span of pentium 2 for gaming when the Pentium 3 was already out ?

Reply 2 of 5, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info. As I said that's just pure theoretical question. I have other plans for my upcoming retro rig as of now. But yes at some point in the future my theoretical interest might turn into practical curiosity as well. But only time will tell if that is going to happen for real.

Reply 4 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can play games, but:
1) Need to use NT OS, preferably Win2k, to avoid major pain in arse to setup everything.
2) Essentially, second CPU can give some breathing room for background tasks during gaming. Should improve performance in some minor way and that's about it. But when one CPU is double the speed of two, SMP benefits are irrelevant, not on Slot 1/Socket 370 anyway.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.