VOGONS

First post, by jimnastics

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm planning to replace the original AT PSU in my Gateway 2000 P5-75, as it sounds somewhat like a jet engine. I'll be putting in an ATX PSU and use the common ATX to AT adapter available on ebay.

I have a few old-ish but fully working ATX PSUs tucked away in the cupboard, and wondered if there's anything I should know about using an ATX PSU in an old AT machine before using one of these? Any particular issues I should be aware of? The PSUs I have in the cupboard are:

Super Flower Leadex Gold 1300w (SF-1300F14MG)
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000w (RS-A00-80GA-D3)
Super Flower Golden Green HX 650w (SF-650P14XE)
Corsair HX 520w (CMPSU-520HX)

I'm thinking perhaps the SF Golden Green HX 650w or Corsair HX 520w, as the other two are surely overkill, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd be very grateful.

Reply 1 of 1, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Watt wise they are all overkill, Doubt the currant one is even 200w

Mostly the same rules apply as if buying for a new PC.
You pay for what you get cheap rubbish PSU's aren't going to out put good clean voltages and you may have been better off with the original PSU.
All PSU's slowly go out of spec, although a 5-10 rear old ATX is still much younger then a AT power supply which is probably closer to the 25 years.

You'll want to double check how the power button works. These were part of the PSU in AT and not always compatible with replacements and sometimes you had to get creative.
Obviously modern PSU's have "useless" connectors for SATA, PCI-E, etc.
The most important consideration is old PC's use 5v rail a lot more then modern PC's and and such modern PSU's aren't designed for heavy 5v usage but if we are talking about a standard Pentium, spinning rust and optical drive and few cards any decent brand PSU should be ok.