VOGONS

First post, by GTA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello guys i have a Toshiba Portage 320CT with its docking station and i have a problem with charging in its DC power charging it in my Toshiba Portage 320CT while it is connected in my docking station, months ago i think it is was the last time i was using the docking station with my Toshiba Portage 320CT while it is was connected in my docking station and the DC power charging was working fine, and in my Toshiba Portage 320CT without it connected in my docking station it is charging and working, and the docking station does working i was using it with my Toshiba Portage 320CT with its battery running without charging, does anyone knows or experienced a problem like this with this old toshiba docking stations? thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What power supply are you using? I've found Toshiba laptops in the 90s have quite conservative fuses on the power inputs - I broke DC charging on my T4900CT for a bit because I connected a 19v 4a psu to it and it's rated for 2 amps.
Make sure to use a power supply with both the right voltage and amperage.

It could be dirty contacts though, use some IPA on a cotton bud / piece of paper to clean up the terminals on each side of the dock connector.

Reply 3 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That could be part of the problem then, especially if you've got the battery fitted because of how battery detection / charging works on Toshibas from this era. Providing more current / amperage than what the label on the underside of the laptop / dock states will cause the laptop to get upset.

Get the correct 15v power supply with 2 amps output.
If that doesn't help then it's possible a fuse has blown in the dock or the laptop itself and you'd need to get that replaced by someone good at repairing surface mounted electronics.

Reply 5 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To update this - I have now experienced that same problem with the dock's power input failing after some time, while the laptop's regular DC input jack works fine.

It was a fuse in the dock that is something pretty low like 2 or 3 amps. If you use a charger with higher amperage than what the laptop came with and the battery is installed, the laptop will try to draw maximum amperage to charge the battery and that blows the fuse. But only if there's more amps available than the spec says - doesn't happen using the original charger.

Replacing the fuse with the same type resolved the issue.

To avoid the problem occurring again after the fuse is replaced, either make sure to use a Toshiba PSU of the same amperage or less than what it says on the bottom of the laptop / dock. Which is 15v 2.0A on the Portege 300 series.
Alternatively - only plug in the DC jack when the laptop has the battery removed, so it won't try to charge it and therefore won't blow the fuse.