Rank

Hey Vogsphere people!

I could use some help.
I'm building yet another retro PC, it has the following specs:
- Asus p8p67-m microATX motherboard
- Intel i5 2500k Sandy Bridge
- 16GB of DDR3 RAM
- Nvidia Quadro M6000 12GB
- Crucial MX500 SSD (Windows XP) - connected to the 6Gbps SATA-1 port on the motherboard
- Silicon Power SSD 128GB (Debian GNU/Linux) - connected to the 6Gbps SATA-2 port on the motherboard

I was able to install Windows XP configuring the SATA ports in IDE mode in the BIOS. I have installed the WXP Intel drivers manually, and also using the "Snappy Driver Installer" tool.
Problem is, when I flip the switch and configure the SATA ports in AHCI mode, I get a blue screen that I cannot even read as the PC just reboots itself really quick.

Booting into the Linux kernel, I can see the SSD drives are connected to:
SATA Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 series chipset family 6 port Desktop SATA AHCI controller (rev 05) [AHCI 1.0]
By the way, Debian works in both IDE and AHCI mode.

I couldn't find appropriate drivers I can put in a floppy drive to use them during the WXP installation ("hit F6..." prompt), so I can avoid IDE even during WXP set up.

Also, I've got a SATA PCIe card based on the Marvell 88SE9215 chipset. It works great, it has drivers for XP and I can boot from it.
Problem is, this microATX board only has 1 PCI slot and 1 PCIe slot I can use. I'm trying to find a X-Fi Sound Blaster in good shape. Using this PCIe SATA controller will be limiting me. So, I was hoping I could configure the SATA ports on the motherboard in AHCI mode and make them work in XP.

Any comments, recommendations, guidance will be really appreciated.
Thanks!

Be free!

Reply 1 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When switching from IDE to AHCI mode I've always followed this procedure: https://www.prime-expert.com/articles/a11/cha … ing-windows-xp/

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Install in IDE mode
install AHCI drivers when done
change the SATA controller settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\"whatever the driver for the SATA is called" from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0 forget which.
Reboot into BIOS and switch to AHCI mode.

Thats what I had to do for Win7 anyway.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need modded AHCI from Fernando. Intel stopped providing AHCI support for Windows XP after some version of ICH south bridge, if I remember correctly.

Alternatively, there's another project, which is focused on providing universal AHCI solution -http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/uni_ata

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2023-06-09, 00:58. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fernando of the Win RAID forum maintains threads with storage drivers and probably has what you need for F6 floppy and everything else.

I have a Z68 board but I really don't recall if I've used XP on it...

Reply 5 of 8, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a proper and a not-quite-proper way of installing AHCI drivers in Windows XP.
See: Re: Slipstreaming appropriate SATA drivers to install XP

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote on 2023-06-09, 00:56:

Fernando of the Win RAID forum maintains threads with storage drivers and probably has what you need for F6 floppy and everything else.

I have a Z68 board but I really don't recall if I've used XP on it...

Agree ! Have been a big fan of Fernado's work for a decade or more. From one of his posts:
" a) For users with an Intel ICH7R/M, ICH9M, ICH10R/D, 5 Series, 6-Series or 7-Series (except X79) Southbridge AHCI or RAID system:
If you are going to install the 32bit version of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, I recommend to download the following official 32bit Intel textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL dated 05/30/2012:
>32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL
Users, who want to install the 64bit version of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, should download and unzip the related 64bit Intel textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL:
>64bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL
Note: These are the latest and probably best conventional Intel RST drivers." -->> Unmodded, was no need.

You want thos v11.2.0 to create the proper F6 floppy disk during install.
Go here (still on Intels website) https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/downl … -intel-nuc.html
I can confirm they are exact as originally posted in 2012. Added: Fernando also has some recent mirroring (just checked)....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 8, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't exactly remember the procedure, but few months ago I managed to succesfully switch from IDE to AHCI on existing winXP installation. It was installed in IDE mode (so no extra drivers needed at install time) and after that I did some of the changes needed and AHCI works now. The platform is Core i3 Ivy Bridge and Asus H61 board.

I know this doesn't really help you, but it is a proof it can be done. 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 8 of 8, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, appreciate all the replies.
Unfortunately, the motherboard is not in a good shape.
I’ve ordered a “new” one. In the meantime I’ve to put this project in the freezer, but more to come I’m sure!

Be free!