VOGONS

First post, by retrofan011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently made a dual boot (Win98 and Win 7), on my Core2Duo machine from 2007, with Intel 945G + ICH7 chip set and 2Gb of Ram.
I followed all the procedures described many times and everything went surprisingly well, except for one thing.
When I chose Windows 98 from boot menu it doesnt detect the floppy drive at all, unless I manually set C partition as active.
It just doesn't see it at all, even mounts the CD ROM drive as A:, apparently treating it as the first free letter.
As a dual boot manager, I use EasyBCD, which keeps the boot files on the Win7 (D:) partition.
Win98 is naturally installed first on C and Win 7 later on secondary (D:) partition.
it works quite normally from boot menu, but without any sign of the floppy drive, which of course works perfectly with Win7.
So, If I want to have access to the floppy drive on Win98, I have to manually set the C: partition as active and reboot, but then I lose the dual boot menu and win7, because the computer directly boots Win98 only.
Then, If I use FDISK and change the active partition back to D: (Win7), I have a boot menu, both OSes boot, but the floppy drive is completely invisible to Win98 and its DOS 7.1
Interestingly, the CD ROM works normally in both cases, only the floppy is not available, when I start win98 from the boot menu.
My hard disk is connected to the SATA controller, but I overcome this with R.Loew patch and there were no problems with the installation.
IDE legacy mode is set in BIOS, the floppy controller is of course enabled, as well as the corresponding model (3.5" 1.44Mb).
I've been scratching my head for days about this, as I'm not much of a PC expert.
If anyone has an idea, how to get access to the floppy drive and keep the boot menu, please help.
btw, I also tried the desperate move, to place the EasyBCD boot files, on the win 98 partition and use the boot menu from there.
Although the C: partition remained active I still have no access to the floppy drive when I start win98 from the boot menu.
Maybe there is a conflict with the EasyBCD boot manager, but I don't know what kind.
Only when I manually set C: as active and reboot floppy drive becomes visible to win98/Dos, but then the computer acts as if it only has win98 on the hard drive and ignores win7 and the boot menu completely...

Reply 1 of 5, by retrofan011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the meantime, I found a temporary workaround with FDISK /activate and alias command from FreeDOS, to quickly change the active partition.
I don't know if its possible to insert an FDISK command into config.sys, so that it changes the active partition to C at the very beginning ?
When I want to go back to the boot menu, I just set the D partition as active again and perform a reset.

Reply 2 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could put the fdisk command in the win98 autoexec.bat file. Wonder why 98 wants the CD as A: at all. What happens if you boot straight to Win98 DOS mode, does the floppy work proper ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 5, by retrofan011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-06-11, 18:42:

You could put the fdisk command in the win98 autoexec.bat file. Wonder why 98 wants the CD as A: at all. What happens if you boot straight to Win98 DOS mode, does the floppy work proper ?

As soon as I start Win98 from the dual boot menu, I lose the floppy drive completely in both win or DOS mode, its completely non-existent in the system.
The only partial solution I have for now is this active partition switch, which I'm trying to automate, because for now I'm more or less doing it manually with the fdisk command.

Edit:
Today I installed FreeDOS on the C: partition, instead of win98 and it behaves the same way, the floppy is not detected at all, until I boot the OS directly, without the boot menu.

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofan011 wrote on 2023-06-11, 21:26:
As soon as I start Win98 from the dual boot menu, I lose the floppy drive completely in both win or DOS mode, its completely non […]
Show full quote

As soon as I start Win98 from the dual boot menu, I lose the floppy drive completely in both win or DOS mode, its completely non-existent in the system.
The only partial solution I have for now is this active partition switch, which I'm trying to automate, because for now I'm more or less doing it manually with the fdisk command.

Edit:
Today I installed FreeDOS on the C: partition, instead of win98 and it behaves the same way, the floppy is not detected at all, until I boot the OS directly, without the boot menu.

Ahh maybe the boot menu is interfering with the irq or port for floppy some how....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by retrofan011

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-06-11, 23:36:
retrofan011 wrote on 2023-06-11, 21:26:
As soon as I start Win98 from the dual boot menu, I lose the floppy drive completely in both win or DOS mode, its completely non […]
Show full quote

Edit:

Ahh maybe the boot menu is interfering with the irq or port for floppy some how....

Quite possibly, the boot menu is suspicious to me from the beginning, as a possible cause.
The question is, how can I determine this precisely and is it possible to solve it somehow?
From what I could see in the win98 hardware properties, there is no conflict in the IRQ ports, although this also happens in pure DOS, so I don't know where to look.
There are various settings in BIOS "PNP/PCI Configuration" section related to IRQ, but I didn't change anything there, because I don't know how it will affect the system.