VOGONS

First post, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey friends, I started piecing together my ultimate DOS build. Sadly I'm stuck at the very beginning stages of getting it to function. Help appreciated 😀

The problem is this: When I turn the computer on, there is nothing displayed on the monitor at all (it doesn't even wake up), and there is no sound from the PC speaker.

When I remove all the RAM and turn the computer on, it beeps over and over again. I've tried removing various RAM sticks but no combination seems to work.

I've tried two VLB video cards, and I've tried them each in either VLB slot.

I think I might be having a tough time with the jumpers. Either that or the board is toast. Either way, I would appreciate some help getting to the bottom of this 😀

I have two processors:
1. AMD Am5x86-P75 AMD-X5-133ADZ
2. Intel Overdrive PODP5v

I'd be happy with either of these working as expected, though I'd prefer the one with better performance. For what it's worth I'm not super well versed in DOS builds, I never had anything beyond a Gateway 2000 as a kid. So there could be a competency issue on my part. If folks have a recommendation which CPU I should focus on, I'm all ears.

My mobo is a rev 2.0. I have 256k cache. Beyond that, help figuring this out is appreciated. Anyone know how I can just cut to the chase and see if the mainboard is toast?

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by karakarga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pentium Over Drive processor is a better performer in general, but at specific software or games AMD Am5x86-P75 rarely performs better. Check the cache state of both. If Pentium Over Drive processor works at Write Through mode, AMD Am5x86-P75 may work better this time in general, if it works at Write Back mode.

Last edited by karakarga on 2023-06-11, 09:01. Edited 1 time in total.