-486 DX2/80 CPU (40 MHz bus)
-UM4980 VLB motherboard, 256k cache
-20 Mb RAM (1x16Mb, 1x4Mb 72 pin SIMMS)
-VLB video (Trident 94xx series, IIRC) 1 Mb RAM, integrated I/O
-CT 4170 soundblaster card
-Quantum 1.2 Gb IDE hard disk
-16x BTC CDROM IDE
-1.44 Mb floppy

DOS 6.22 works great. No issues. Installed with Official Disks. Doom/ROTT/Jazz/Descent..all working fine

Installed Win 3.1 with no issues with official disks. No issues with Install

On the surface, 3.1 works fine. All default programs run OK, no issues, no glitches.
When first loading Win from DOS though, it takes a LONG TIME (about 5 mins?)
Then If I try to install any program from CD, or Hard Drive (i've tried installing various MidiSoft Programs, AOL 2.0, Microsoft Office 3.0, various Win 3.1 games from 94) I run into various issues.

No enough Memory,
Segment Load Failure
General Crash of any program that isn't Paint/Clock/Minesweeper/Solitaire etc
Insufficent Memory
Etc

Not sure what is going on

Reply 1 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! Did you run MemMaker already? Maybe it helps (make backups of autoexec.bat/config.sys first).
It also can make more memory available to Windows 3.x..

You have 20MB of RAM. That's fine as such. But maybe the cache is too small ?
If the motherboard cache is small, 8 or 16MB is all it can cache.

These are just ideas. It's late, I must go to sleep now. 😴

Good luck. 😀 🤞

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 16, by AmbassadorCosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-06-18, 01:04:

Are you using the plain VGA video driver or a Trident SVGA one?

I haven't touched any of the Drivers in 3.1 yet. I'll try installing the Trident T9440 Win3.x one?

Reply 4 of 16, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AmbassadorCosh wrote on 2023-06-18, 01:28:
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-06-18, 01:04:

Are you using the plain VGA video driver or a Trident SVGA one?

I haven't touched any of the Drivers in 3.1 yet. I'll try installing the Trident T9440 Win3.x one?

Oh, I was going to suggest the other way around so no fix there.
You might try disabling the Memory Relocation feature in your BIOS if you use the Trident driver (or if not).

Reply 6 of 16, by AmbassadorCosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
unBIOSed wrote on 2023-06-18, 02:38:

Idk but for some reason I'm thinking about whether you've checked your swap file configuration. Is swap active? How much swap do you have available?

15970KB Permanent (using BIOS)

Reply 7 of 16, by unBIOSed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AmbassadorCosh wrote on 2023-06-18, 02:50:
unBIOSed wrote on 2023-06-18, 02:38:

Idk but for some reason I'm thinking about whether you've checked your swap file configuration. Is swap active? How much swap do you have available?

15970KB Permanent (using BIOS)

That sounds fine.

Could you post your config.sys, autoexec.bat and "mem /c" output?

Also stumbled across this from a Windows Resource Kit about troubleshooting Windows 3.1: https://www.tech-insider.org/windows/research … 20221/6TRBL.pdf , might help.

Reply 9 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

5 minutes seems awfully long to load Windows. It should be more like 5 seconds. I’ve seen this kind of hang when there are driver issues…usually related to network, but sometime the mouse.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 16, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd try reducing the amount of physical RAM to below 16MiB. Preferably 8MiB for testing. See if that fixes the problem or maybe changes the wait time. Did you install any networking protocols and do you have any network cards installed?

Reply 11 of 16, by AmbassadorCosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-06-18, 03:50:

Are you trying to use 32-bit disk access with an HDD and cd-rom sharing one IDE cable?

I'm not sure how to change the 32-bit disk access setting. It should be in the control panel with the Enchanced 386 stuff right? I don't see it.

Regardless, the floppy and CD are on one IDE cable into the Trident marked "VESA IDE" (vertical one)
The HDD is on a separate IDE cable going into the other IDE connector on the Trident (horizontal one)

Reply 12 of 16, by AmbassadorCosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-06-18, 09:17:

I'd try reducing the amount of physical RAM to below 16MiB. Preferably 8MiB for testing. See if that fixes the problem or maybe changes the wait time. Did you install any networking protocols and do you have any network cards installed?

I pulled out the 16MB stick and left the 4MB in. I deleted Win 3.1 and did a fresh install.
Same thing.

No network card

Reply 14 of 16, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that 486 a Cyrix CPU? I seem to vaguely recall something about bugs in Win3 kernel init (when it tries to recalibrate loop counts for delays) - this had to do with much faster CPUS but there was also something Cyrix-related there due to timing differences in mul/div execution. Try different CPU if you have one, or reduce the bus speed to say 25MHz (to get DX2-50), see if that changes anything. Other than that I'm also out of ideas.

Reply 15 of 16, by AmbassadorCosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-06-18, 20:02:

Is that 486 a Cyrix CPU? I seem to vaguely recall something about bugs in Win3 kernel init (when it tries to recalibrate loop counts for delays) - this had to do with much faster CPUS but there was also something Cyrix-related there due to timing differences in mul/div execution. Try different CPU if you have one, or reduce the bus speed to say 25MHz (to get DX2-50), see if that changes anything. Other than that I'm also out of ideas.

It is a Texas Instruments 486 yes, which I believe is a modified Cyrix.

Reducing the Bus Speed, is that through jumper settings on the mobo?
I'll try another CPU if I can find one.

Reply 16 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AmbassadorCosh wrote on 2023-06-18, 16:07:

Regardless, the floppy and CD are on one IDE cable into the Trident marked "VESA IDE"

This is a typo, right? Surely your floppy drive is not connected to IDE.

I think lowering bus speed is also a good test. Two vlb cards at 40Mhz technically isn’t in spec.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium