VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I need an adaptor to turn a PLCC-68 female socket into a PGA-68 female socket? Does such an adaptor exist?

I have this 286 board with a PLCC-68 socket that is surface mounted to the motherboard. I'd like to plug in PGA-68 CPUs and PGA-68 upgrade adaptors into the motherboard.

Alternately, I thought about swapping the PGA connector on the upgrade adaptor, but I don't have any male PLCC-68 sockets with through-hole mounts. Anyone know where I can find these?

Attachments

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The second link posted by SDumas looks correct, but it is $63 USD, plus who knows what fancy ass shipping service they are going to use. Let's say another $40. Add Canadian brokerage [because of their fancy ass shipping method], that probably brings the total to around $140 USD. Hoping for something a little more economical.

Reply 4 of 25, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://us.warwickts.com/4405/W9327-68-Way-PL … 5c13b06f50d061c

$21 - order the ZC160 variant, as it is the lowest height.

Then design a $3 SMD to PGA adapter board for it to put the chip in.

The Winslow plugs are good. I used one for a PLCC84 plug to board adapter and they're high quality. (used for my Amiga 500/2000 Agnus chip RAM upgrade board)

That's as cheap/easy as it is going to get. I looked at all options for a few months, even designing a custom diy plug that was extremely hard to solder together with a triple stack pcb and individually soldered pins.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 6 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-20, 20:24:

or desolder the socket?

I think I mentioned in the original post that the PLCC-68 socket is surface mounted, so I cannot easily swap it with a PGA-68 socket, that is, unless you know of a surface mounted PGA-68 socket? That would probably have to be BGA mounted.

If you are referring to swapping the PGA-68 male with a PLCC-68 male, I don't know where to find those either.

Reply 7 of 25, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was thinking desolder original socket to solder custom made adapter in place. Alternatively you could take random/broken PLCC-68 chip, mill the middle out and solder custom pcb directly to wireframe. But thats too much work in light of @wiretap find. That $21 plug is a steal considering this is niche product targeting debugging/testing industrial uses, usually in >$200 territory

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2023-06-20, 07:58:

The second link posted by SDumas looks correct, but it is $63 USD, plus who knows what fancy ass shipping service they are going to use. Let's say another $40. Add Canadian brokerage [because of their fancy ass shipping method], that probably brings the total to around $140 USD. Hoping for something a little more economical.

This is one of the things that I really hated about living in Canada. Considering we're an American vassal-state, with a large part of our industry bought out and controlled by Americans, you'd think that we'd get a break on customs (we are part of NAFTA afterall). In my experience if you bought two equally priced items from China and the USA, the Chinese one would end up being far cheaper once all the extra fees are tacked on.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-20, 23:04:

I was thinking desolder original socket to solder custom made adapter in place. Alternatively you could take random/broken PLCC-68 chip, mill the middle out and solder custom pcb directly to wireframe. But thats too much work in light of @wiretap find. That $21 plug is a steal considering this is niche product targeting debugging/testing industrial uses, usually in >$200 territory

Learning KiCAD is on my 'before I die' bucket list, but is pretty far down the que. By the time I get to it, I expect to be telling some AI bot my specs and it does all the work.

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2023-06-21, 00:49:
feipoa wrote on 2023-06-20, 07:58:

This is one of the things that I really hated about living in Canada. Considering we're an American vassal-state, with a large part of our industry bought out and controlled by Americans, you'd think that we'd get a break on customs (we are part of NAFTA afterall). In my experience if you bought two equally priced items from China and the USA, the Chinese one would end up being far cheaper once all the extra fees are tacked on.

Considering how closely this country follows the royal family, how often said family comes to visit Canada, and that the King of England is our official head of state, I'd say Canada is more of a British puppet state, but will follow changes proposed in the US if allowed to do so. British Columbia, for example, voted overwhelmingly (~90%) to stay on daylight savings time almost 4 years ago, but the change didn't take effect because the provincial government is waiting for the Americans to come on board.

Yes, when a Canadian company starts doing well and has gained some market, they will sell themselves out to an American company.

By the way, that company wants 35 GBP ($45 USD) to ship to Canada. What has everyone been using all these years to connect PLCC based upgrades in PGA motherboards and PGA upgrades in PLCC motherboards?

Reply 10 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2023-06-21, 04:44:

Considering how closely this country follows the royal family, how often said family comes to visit Canada, and that the King of England is our official head of state, I'd say Canada is more of a British puppet state, but will follow changes proposed in the US if allowed to do so. British Columbia, for example, voted overwhelmingly (~90%) to stay on daylight savings time almost 4 years ago, but the change didn't take effect because the provincial government is waiting for the Americans to come on board.

Yes, when a Canadian company starts doing well and has gained some market, they will sell themselves out to an American company.

Yes, once upon a time Canada was "British", but whatever influence that remains is superficial (also depends on what part of the country you're in). I'm kind of surprised that Canada opted to keep Charles as head of state, seeing that he's about as popular as second-hand underpants. Some commonwealth countries are considering calling it quits, and it's likely Canada will follow suit at some point. Canada is less than 20% Anglo and that demographic is rapidly shrinking.
Try telling an American that Canada is "British", and they'll just laugh right in your face. Back when I used to believe we were still sovereign, I did...and that's exactly what happened.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In this era of truth and reconciliation, I don't think Canada will opt out of the commonwealth anytime soon. I was hearing on the news that many first nations have treaties with the monarchy from before confederation and want to keep these treaties in tact by keeping the monarch. Even if there is a workaround for keeping the treaties valid post-commonwealth, apparently some (many, I think) first nations want to keep the monarchy, perhaps for historical or personal reasons.

I don't find Canada to be very American in culture, at least not where I live. Whenever I travel to the USA, after 2 weeks, I've had enough southern hospitality. The difference is stark. Wife feels the same way.

There were parts of Canada that were still part of the UK as late as 1949 (Newfoundland). At least they kept the British spelling over there, rather than this hodgepodge jambalaya of weird American spelling mixed with British English. Try telling a Newfoundlander that they are more American than British.

Reply 12 of 25, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is what i have for one of the 286 upgrade modules.
Hand-soldered PGA to PLCC conversion.

20230620_225933.jpg
Filename
20230620_225933.jpg
File size
299.08 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

retro bits and bytes

Reply 13 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where did you obtain the PGA-68 male to PLCC-68 male? This would be a fall-back option for me. Ideally, I'd get a proper converter so that I don't have to keep desoldering connectors on my CPU upgrade boards.

Reply 14 of 25, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2023-06-21, 04:44:
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-20, 23:04:

Learning KiCAD is on my 'before I die' bucket list, but is pretty far down the que. By the time I get to it, I expect to be telling some AI bot my specs and it does all the work.

I could probably design the adapter board in a few hours. I'll put it on my github and post it in this thread when I get some free time to make it.

My Github

Reply 15 of 25, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PLCC-68 cam from another 286 upgrade kit (that was dead).
PGA-68 is part of the adapter on photos.
I simply aligned the pins (they had to be tilted) and soldered them in place.
This was time consuming. : )

retro bits and bytes

Reply 16 of 25, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you go.. double check dimensions, mounting, pin config, etc before ordering. If not, you can edit the design.

https://github.com/wiretap-retro/PLCC68-to-PGA

My Github

Reply 17 of 25, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2023-06-21, 21:24:

Here you go.. double check dimensions, mounting, pin config, etc before ordering. If not, you can edit the design.

https://github.com/wiretap-retro/PLCC68-to-PGA

now turn it inside out and divide into two pieces 😀
- first PCB lands on smd footprint for PLCC68 and solders using castellated pcb edges or just surface to surface https://www.ironwoodelectronics.com/products/ … cence-solution/ . It routes all the signals to inside island of pads
- second PCB has holes on the inside island to solder to the pads of the first, routes them outside to the PGA-68 footprint

alternatively dont remove plcc socket from the motherboard, make the adapter itself PLCC, warning EXTREME PCB pr0n: https://www2.hdl.co.jp/en/index.php/products/ … c68-series.html https://www.reddit.com/r/KiCad/comments/etdrk … chip_like_this/

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 18 of 25, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried that already. For the first one, I tried to source the j-hooks, but they can only be sourced in runs of $1000 or more. For the second link, you aren't getting that made cheap because it requires high end PCB fab. Those don't always make good contact with PLCC sockets either.

My Github

Reply 19 of 25, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what do you need jhooks for? idea is to solder first pcb directly to motherboard, then solder second pcb to first one 😀