VOGONS

First post, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi All

Picked up a Gateway 2000 P4D-66 today as I was nostalgic for the case 😀

However it has been upgraded interally and it's actually got a P5A-B motherboard - I should have spotted the Asus sticker on the front 😒

Silver linigs though as it's a decent/colectable board and had a S3 Trio 64V+ in one slot and an unbranded ISA soundard in there too. The CPU is a K6-2/450 which is nice...

But it's not what I was after!

I'm going to keep my eye peeled for an original spec motherboard - does antyone know a better/alternate sourcve to eBay? Even better, does anyone have one they want to sell me?

Thanks...

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel that I really got bit by that retro bug now, since I caught myself thinking "yeah, that is a cool case! 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 9, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, no luck finding a Gateway branded motherboard - it's possible they were not ever branded in that way.

Does anyone who has one mind letting me know which motherboard manufacturer is in their machine - I'd like to get an accurate replacement as possible...

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 9, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be this, explaining the P4D in the model number.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/anigma-p4d-420ex

As well as a short piece of info I found about the model numbering on those, taken from the VCFed forums:

Andrew T wrote:

PCI-bus 486 systems in Gateway parlance were "P4D-66," VLB systems were "4DX2-66V," and "4DX2-66" would have denoted ISA-only systems with a minimum of bells and whistles.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 9, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2023-07-12, 10:20:
It should be this, explaining the P4D in the model number. […]
Show full quote

It should be this, explaining the P4D in the model number.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/anigma-p4d-420ex

As well as a short piece of info I found about the model numbering on those, taken from the VCFed forums:

Andrew T wrote:

PCI-bus 486 systems in Gateway parlance were "P4D-66," VLB systems were "4DX2-66V," and "4DX2-66" would have denoted ISA-only systems with a minimum of bells and whistles.

Amazing! Thanks.

Reply 5 of 9, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like I've been lucky - I've managed to bag a Vivitron 15, period-correct keyboard and what I think is the correct motherboard! Not sure the latter is working as haven't tested it, but was sold as working so fingers crossed.. .

Just feels like aI need a 1.2MB floppy now...Not totally period correct, but I don't have a mchine with one yet and would be better than the CD-RW?

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice find ! Can you post a picture of the back the case ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 9, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-08-12, 22:31:

Nice find ! Can you post a picture of the back the case ?

Attached...

Looks bad due to the change in motherboard, but hoping to restore to former glory!

Attachments

• 20230813_172258.jpg
    Filename
    20230813_172258.jpg
    File size
    40.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20230813_172253.jpg
    Filename
    20230813_172253.jpg
    File size
    55.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20230813_172244.jpg
    Filename
    20230813_172244.jpg
    File size
    64.34 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 9, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: I've now obtained all the parts I need and I'm about to restore this to it's former glory.

A knock on effect is that I need an AT case to put the P5A-B into. Not a lot of choice on ebay.co.uk and not what I'd call reasonably priced. Anyone have a dsktop or small tower case for my lonely P5A-b that I can have at a sensible price? I realise "reasonable/sensible" mean different things to different people when it comes to collecting 😀

Thanks