VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not microATX, Actual ATX.

Crucially, with floppy drive mounting bay. And the older, numerous mounting holes for mounting either AT or ATX board.

All I know is I have one but this one is in use for our family members and this was mine which used to house PII 350 stuff long ago from since new. And I do have another empty case but this is reserved for PIII for early windows 98SE. If I do so need to scalp this ATX case, I have to buy another modern case and transfer the guts into another to reuse this.

Plain look is preferred.

Planning to plant my pentium or MMX SBC stuff in one. SBC plane board does not fit into mATX case due to mounting holes and slots is different.

Had a look on ebay and found nothing, expensive or built up computer for sale.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a few thru Craigslist for cheap, yes they were 1/2-2/3 complete tower systems but for $15-$35 the cases were worth it. The last 2 missing HD and cdrom but had mobo, cpu, ram, psu and floppy...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 11, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in the same boat, looking for a bigger case for my high end P4 win98 rig. Been hitting the usual outlets ebay, fb marketplace, yard sales
and flea markets. Ebay is the last resort due to high shipping costs but saw a few that were interesting.

This Zalman case is tempting: https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-T6-Case-Black/d … 913197982&psc=1

Granted it's not beige but as long as it has a 5.25 bay it fits my needs plus it's fairly reasonable.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 6 of 11, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote on 2023-06-22, 16:11:
ATX cases like these? […]
Show full quote

ATX cases like these?

kSozWXjl.jpg

Yes, much harder now to locate any.

These three sets of ATX cases are awfully fanciful for my taste. 😀 Did artfully stated plain cases with floppy bay.

Well, I have suggestion for others having this same problem:
If anyone needs a mATX case with floppy bay, Get Dell Vostro 230, which can fit a full length GTX if one wishes, swap PSU if required but still perfect for AGP or PCIe motherboard, plenty power left or swap PSU, and swap out the board for another of your choosing, rewire buttons LEDs.

For Vostro 260, to make room for long GPU card, Relocate the hard drive cage upwards to right under the floppy cage but this takes work with tools and some material, the chassis is exactly same as all of the optiplex line that uses these like 990, 7010, 9010 eg and does have floppy bay. All these recommended models has snap out rear i/o panel.

There are plenty of mATX from other models including Dell. For example: Vostro 470, XPS 8500 motherboard are designed to take a 2 slot wide GPU without blocked by anything on the motherboard. Still need to jumper the front panel header pins to keep in correct mode. Details are out there for this and power and LED assembly out there as well. Just watch for one with standard ATX power connector.

Alternatively; you don't mind rougher look, remove the Optiplex front panel and USB port with LEDs and relocate that or something safer place, install floppy there. Or cut a opening in the front panel for floppy. Change out the motherboard for another.

For no mods like these with optiplex, these are perfect for AGP cards and mATX motherboard with AGP slot. Longest video card one I know of still fits without relocating the hard drive cage. For this, I really like Optiplex 990 and similar models style and great cooling.

Workstation boards uses proprietary pinout for power supply, so watch out for these and use HP to ATX converter adapters. This rearranges pins and convert 5V to 12V standby power included. Did like that for low budget ivy bridge PC using Elitedesk 8300 motherboard in another ATX case, used a HP SFF heatsink, with nuts and nylon washers. Needed jumpers on front panel connectors. Didn't to use it as was sold to another guy who needed one few years back. HP Elitedesk 8200 (sandy bridge) and 8300 (ivy bridge with USB 3.0) boards are full ATX with ATX standard mounting holes.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 11, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can afford the shipping, this case is pretty good. I just bought one and I really like it. My only issue is that the holes on my gotek don't line up with the 3.5" drive bay (a real floppy drive fits just fine).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175492093873

Prices for all of this stuff are insane.

Reply 8 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smtkr wrote on 2023-06-23, 02:10:

If you can afford the shipping, this case is pretty good. I just bought one and I really like it. My only issue is that the holes on my gotek don't line up with the 3.5" drive bay (a real floppy drive fits just fine).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175492093873

Prices for all of this stuff are insane.

$50 for a Chieftec CX-01B-B-B-U, if this is anything similar to the Chieftec Dragon (and by the looks of this case it is), this thing will be very heavy. Can't imagine what shipping cost would be but if I saw such a case for sale for €50 locally, even I would seriously consider getting one even though I don't need one.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 11, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The seller charged ~$80 for shipping, so I spent a lot on this case.

I think the drive mounting is different from the Dragon (which I owned 20 years ago). From what I remember, the Dragon had plastic mounts you screw onto the sides, and then you slide your drive in and the mounts click into place. This case has special screws you attach to the drives and then they slide along a rail and click into place.

Otherwise, it's basically a Dragon with a few other differences: 1. single 120mm in the back instead of two 80mm, 2. a big sideways rack in the front for a bunch of drives, and 3. a ton of 90mm case mounts (two blow hole options for your motherboard and then it looks like it has three more mount points for fans on the front right side of the case).

I'm just planning on running it with a single 120mm in the back.

Reply 10 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ouch if it had to be shipped but very nice !
Just looking thru local craigslist again I see this, InWin ATX Case+ DVD writer 500w $30. Actually a nice mid tower for the price. One of the Sellers pictures
Local pickup is the way to find fair priced stuff IMHO.added: would have to drive about 20 miles one wat to get it.....

Attachments

• inwin case.jpg
    Filename
    inwin case.jpg
    File size
    84.34 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Horun on 2023-06-30, 12:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 11, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could get a Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Amazon has a $20 coupon and then Cooler Master is offering a $40 rebate.

Get creative like someone did and make it a beige box. (front grill was 3d printed I believe)

aT7UvOTh.jpg

Technically its an older ATX case since it came out in 2012.