VOGONS

First post, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this cool socket 7 board a while ago but I can't seem to get it to work. I got this as a complete system with case and matching PSU. It's a very unusual small form factor. The board reads MB-5BLTP, which is a type I cannot find anywhere online. There's this Russian site where someone looked for info on the BLPT-2 variant, but apart from that this is a very unknown system. From what I could research, it's a late era socket 7 (from 1998) and has a i430TX chipset . It came with a 200MMX. I could use some pointers on what to try next:

QIfDow5.jpg

I've inspected the board for damage but it seems clean. The only odd part is this bodge wire that looks very much done by the factory. The wire seems to connect the VGA chip to a jumper. There's one cut trace and a resistor soldered.

pjvr2gP.jpgmghhkPL.jpgx2c1gSs.jpg

Stuff I've tried so far:
- Verify that the CPU is working (in a different system)
- Verify that the RAM is working (in a different system)
- Check voltages on PSU rails (ok!)
- Check voltages on vcc2 and vcc3 (ok!)
- Put in post analyzer card (no post codes or beeps whatsoever)
- Try various jumper settings across the board (doesn't help)
- Check the contents of the BIOS chip (seems good)
- Check the RAM voltage (is ok, 3.3v)

I've touched all chips to see if any of them stand out when it comes to heat. Most of them just get a little warm. The most heat seems to come from this network chip, which seems odd. It's not burning my finger but certainly hotter than the other chips. Not sure if this is reason enough to take it off the board entirely. I think it should do at least some kind of posting even with a bad network chip?

O5yTCIZ.jpg

Any idea's on what to do/try/check next? Could really use some help and guidance to get this baby working again 😀

Last edited by Hezus on 2023-06-23, 12:39. Edited 4 times in total.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 1 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

do you have the proper riser card for it ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesnt look like PC, more like one of rack mounted network appliances. You could try dumping bios and trying it in emulator.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 7, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2023-06-22, 21:30:

Test the CPU voltage regulators and capacitors in that circuit. Your CPU isn't initializing.

The VRMs are outputting the right voltages, so I'm not sure how they could b faulty. For testing caps I probably have to desolder them and test them individually.

Last edited by Hezus on 2023-06-23, 11:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 7 of 7, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2023-06-23, 02:20:

RAM could be working but incompatible. What happens if you try to start it without any RAM? Does it beep or show anything on the POST card?

Without the ram there is no post code or beeps. Seems it's not getting past CPU init

Visit my YT Channel!