VOGONS

First post, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I purchased this on a whim, at a decent price, for a board that had an ISA slot.

The only details I had on the lisinting were - HP D7580-60003 Intel Socket 370 Motherboard, Celeron 466 CPU and 64BM RAM and includes a 4MB SGRAM SODIMM module.

From my research, I believe this is a motherboard from an HP Brio, possibly from their BA series, I suspect maybe BA400, as the specs are similar, however the motherboard manual for that series shows a board with a different outlay, mainly the ATX connector being in a different position, so I'm struggling to ID this board, and therefore find the drivers that I need?

Any ideas? Also, the 4MB SGRAM, never seen this before, i assume this is video memory, maybe something to do with the SIS 5595 chipset, some sort of SIS integrated video? If do, wonder if this can be upgraded to 8/16MB.

Attachments

• s-l16004.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16004.jpg
    File size
    261.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l16003.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16003.jpg
    File size
    402.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l16002.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16002.jpg
    File size
    423.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    374.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor

Reply 1 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DrLucienSanchez wrote on 2023-06-26, 10:39:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

I purchased this on a whim, at a decent price, for a board that had an ISA slot.

The only details I had on the lisinting were - HP D7580-60003 Intel Socket 370 Motherboard, Celeron 466 CPU and 64BM RAM and includes a 4MB SGRAM SODIMM module.

From my research, I believe this is a motherboard from an HP Brio, possibly from their BA series, I suspect maybe BA400, as the specs are similar, however the motherboard manual for that series shows a board with a different outlay, mainly the ATX connector being in a different position, so I'm struggling to ID this board, and therefore find the drivers that I need?

Any ideas? Also, the 4MB SGRAM, never seen this before, i assume this is video memory, maybe something to do with the SIS 5595 chipset, some sort of SIS integrated video? If do, wonder if this can be upgraded to 8/16MB.

According to the HP Brio BA Supplementary Manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/275159/Hp-B … -Ba.html#manual) the 4MB SGRAM SO-DIMM is upgradeable to 8MB

Also, the board seems to match with the one in the HP Brio BA Upgrade Manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/359247/Hp-B … Ba.html?page=38)

Reply 2 of 5, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-06-26, 13:02:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

According to the HP Brio BA Supplementary Manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/275159/Hp-B … -Ba.html#manual) the 4MB SGRAM SO-DIMM is upgradeable to 8MB

Also, the board seems to match with the one in the HP Brio BA Upgrade Manual (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/359247/Hp-B … Ba.html?page=38)

Perfect, thanks for that, exactly what I need!

The bios that's loaded is from 1998, so hopefully there is an update I can have to use a 100Mhz FSB Coppermine PIII, but not too fussed about that.

Curious about the SIS super AGP onboard, so will look at that, but already have an Mx440 PCI GPU in case I need more grunt.

Thanks again.

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor

Reply 3 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DrLucienSanchez wrote on 2023-06-27, 09:25:
Perfect, thanks for that, exactly what I need! […]
Show full quote
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-06-26, 13:02:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

Perfect, thanks for that, exactly what I need!

The bios that's loaded is from 1998, so hopefully there is an update I can have to use a 100Mhz FSB Coppermine PIII, but not too fussed about that.

Curious about the SIS super AGP onboard, so will look at that, but already have an Mx440 PCI GPU in case I need more grunt.

Thanks again.

If we have the correct series (seems to be from the original Brio BA range) then the link below is the latest BIOS I could find - the notes mention CuMine Celeron support but only for 66MHz FSB

https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … driverid=850150

Reply 4 of 5, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Brio, IIRC, is the "low end professional" line from HP, and the board does vaguely resemble (while having tons of differences, mind you) the later and higher-class Vectra VL400;

As for the SGRAM card, the only thing that immediately comes to mind is the trayloader iMac G3 😀
Said Vectra does have its spiritual successor though!

Reply 5 of 5, by Confused UngaBunga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Brios were very cute. Short case with only one 5 1/4 bay and one 3 1/5 bay. I remember almost buying one celeron 300, but then I went with no brand.