VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a lc-550 mac it uses scsi 50 pin interface

The one I used to have was was a 160mb quantum hard drive.

One of the things I refuse to compromise on with this build is it HAS to have that same sound.

I was kinda surprised to find that a 500mb version sounds basically the same.

Any chance that anyone knows what the largest hard drive is that would sound like that is? I would love to give it more capacity!

Attachments

• IMG_3498.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_3498.jpeg
    File size
    7.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those would be the Quantum LPS SCSI drives iirc. Think the 540MB was the biggest of that series but there are other scsi HD's that have a similar sound, Quantum Fireball, Micropolis and IBM did.
I know what you are thinking and I took my XT/3 and swapped in IBM 200MB scsi drive for the original 20MB MFM/RLL <dead> and it sounds almost the same.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As luck would have it, (not all pictured) I ended up getting four scsi examples from this lineup

160mb
250mb
500mb
1222 mb

They all basically make the same sounds but the 1222 is quieter for some reason.

The drive spin up click pattern is identical which is what I always remembered back in the 90’s

I also have many ide examples, they also make these sounds.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0090.jpeg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 4, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Be careful with those, a lot of these Quantums have internal rubber bumpers on the magnets for the heads to land against, which turns to goop. Lots of 'em die because of it, you can try opening them up and removing the bumper, and replacing it with something that fits (an example is silicone tubing as seen here).

Some also have a bumper under the platters, which is far more tricky to replace. Of course, opening the drive for repair comes with risks, but if the drive's going to die from rubber goop, the benefits of an attempted repair far outweigh that.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 4 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed. I am aware of the defect. So far so good. Odly enough I have a lot of these now, most being 250mb but most of them are IDE. All of them so far have been okay. 🤷‍♂️ my quest was for scsi ones

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-