VOGONS

First post, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm replacing the CMOS battery on a newly acquired Toshiba Tecra 550CDT. I see it has two batteries on the motherboard, a 2.4v 30mhah battery I think is the CMOS battery and seems readily available on eBay, the second is a 7.2v 30mah battery I'm not sure what it does? It seems I saw something somewhere it's possibly for sleep, but can't find that now. I assume it's safe to leave it unplugged.

I also notice it seems like the pins and connector has a little bit of what I assume is green corrosion that has made it up the wires. I'll clean it up, some vinegar and alcohol?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a thread about these 7.2V batteries, my theory is they keep the DRAM powered in sleep mode. Another one (not mutualy exclusive) was the ability to swap the main battery in sleep or standby mode - if done quickly (30s or so).

As for the green stuff, yes that is corrosion. If you open one of these packs you'll see why, those things leak corrosive electrolyte. Even just the fumes are bad. Something acidic like vinegar, then water rinse, and then perhaps alcohol to help it dry can remove it but there's always a risk of using too much vinegar and causing more corrosion. So a good rinse and a few days of drying (because of all those nooks and crannies) is very much recommended.

I've had a laptop in my hands in which these connectors were pretty much done - somebody tried to pry off the battery plugs and caused damage on top of significant corrosion that almost ate the contact points completly. Frankly not much can be done in such case other than replacement. And that is not easy - multilayer board densly populated with various parts.

Reply 2 of 2, by Jason21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I'll clean it up and replace just the 2.4v cmos battery. Luckily doesn't seem like really spread beyond the connector. It's interesting to see it actually followed the wires down into the board. I'll just leave the 7.2v battery off