VOGONS

First post, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just been fixing an MSI MS-6147 motherboard from a Packard Bell Club 85. The board is listed here:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/msi-ms-6147-bx7

It's a slot 1 440BX board with an ATi Rage Pro Turbo (looks to be AGP 2x) and Creative ES1373. It looks like the PB version is slightly different from the standard board. The main difference is that there are a couple of jumpers that disconnect one of the two rear USB ports and connects it to an internal header, which can then be used for a front panel USB port.

J16 is a 6 pin header between PCI slots 2&3. If jumpered 2-3 and 5-6 then both rear USB ports are connected. If jumpers 1-2 and 4-5 then USB is on J15 (next to the other front panel connector JFP).
J15 is a 10 pin header with 2 pins missing and 2 pins that seem to be not connected to anything. There are 3 Ground pins, 1 +5V pin and the USB D- and D+ pins.

. o GND
D- o o GND
D+ o o N/C?
. o GND
+5V o o N/C?

There are also several missing headers, such as fan headers (other than the CPU fan), the temperature sensor and keyboard power on.

The larger capacitors had all failed so I replaced everything above 470uF (15 capacitors in total).

Interestingly, some SDRAM that I'd modded from registered to just buffered, which works fine in a Via Slot A board, doesn't work. I suspect something is actually checking the SPD and deciding to not to try using it.

Installing W98 worked with no problems. W2k had a problem with using the AGP port. It claimed it couldn't find enough free resources to use it, but also had no resource conflicts. Changing the PC type to standard from ACPI fixed the problem. I'd guess a problem with the ACPI stuff in the BIOS maybe? The BIOS version is 2.0 and there is a 2.1 version which I haven't tried.

I've attached photos of the front and back, along with a copy of the 2.0 Packard Bell BIOS.

Attachments