VOGONS

First post, by Killermac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, I'm having a little trouble choosing a sound card for my Windows XP 32-bit computer. Could you give me some light on this matter?

I found a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx 7.1 at a relatively high price, but possible.

I also found a Creative X-fi Fatal1ty which is confusing me. In the specification it says: "Creative X-fi Fatal1ty Eng Cli-8". I'm not so sure if "Eng Cli-8" means anything or is just some vendor marking. It is absurdly expensive, however, it is new in the box. https://www.omegavariedades.com/placa-som-cre … 1ty-eng-cli-8/p

I also found an Audigy 2 ZS for a very cheap price. It is used but very well maintained. The only problem is that I planned to use it on a Windows 98 SE computer to play some DOS games, and I didn't want to repeat the hardware.

Unfortunately, a Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion is not accessible where I live. I didn't find any ads and the outside ads I found are completely unviable.

Among these, which ones would you suggest? Are these compatible with Windows XP 32-bit and an ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 in the first place? My use will only be for Windows XP and Windows 7 (the machine dual-boots both operating systems).

Thank you.

ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K
Noctua® NH-U12S chromax.black
EVGA® GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Creative® Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 7.1
Western Digital® WD_BLACK 1 TB
Crucial® MX500 1TB
Corsair® Dominator 4x4GB 1600MHz

Reply 1 of 18, by Killermac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:

I also found an X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 SB0550EP, which is very close to the value of the new Creative X-fi Fatal1ty, however, this Elite Pro is used and does not come with that control device.

ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K
EVGA® GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Crucial® MX500 1TB

Reply 2 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The X-Fi series of cards is generally a mess to sort out. If you do go for an X-Fi card you want one with the EMU20K1 or EMU20K2 processors.

Ultimately it comes down to which versions of EAX you want to have. The Audigy series supports up to EAX 4.0 whereas the X-Fi series (EMU20K1 or EMU20K2) supports up to EAX 5.0.

There aren't many games that support EAX 5.0 (see this list: https://list.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_games_with_EAX_support). Unless there are specific EAX 5 games you know you'll be playing, an Audigy 2 ZS will be fine.

The only caveat about the Audigy 2 ZS is that it is prone to capacitors failing. I had issues where there would be a static noise during initial bootup. The static would go away after a minute or so, but it did interfere with the Windows XP startup sound. Replacing four capacitors on the card fixed the issue.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EAX 5.0 hardware applies some quality improvements to previous EAX versions. So X-Fi is always better than previous DSP.

I also found an X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 SB0550EP, which is very close to the value of the new Creative X-fi Fatal1ty, however, this Elite Pro is used and does not come with that control device.

Elite Pro has better analog output and external module is not required for it to function. Although you probably can buy it separately, if you're patient enough. Elite Pro is also comptatible with 5.25 inch bay, although headphone jack has worse output.

If you mainly use headphones, you also can buy any regular X-Fi plus external module from Elite Pro for best sound quality.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-07-05, 02:04:

There aren't many games that support EAX 5.0 (see this list: https://list.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_games_with_EAX_support). Unless there are specific EAX 5 games you know you'll be playing, an Audigy 2 ZS will be fine.

That list may not be fully up to date compared to the one on the Vogons Wiki. Ours has been regularly maintained, and some previously unknown games have been added recently.

As for EAX5, I concur with what The Serpent Rider said. Most notably, you get a much better resampling algorithm on X-Fi hardware. This can make older games which use lower quality samples sound nicer than on Audigy cards. A surprising number of early WinXP titles fall into that category, using 22 KHz sound samples and such.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-07-05, 07:16:

That list may not be fully up to date compared to the one on the Vogons Wiki. Ours has been regularly maintained, and some previously unknown games have been added recently.

Good to know. Looks like there are a few more EAX 5 games in the Vogons list, though still not many EAX 5 titles overall.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 8 of 18, by Killermac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-07-05, 02:04:
The X-Fi series of cards is generally a mess to sort out. If you do go for an X-Fi card you want one with the EMU20K1 or EMU20K2 […]
Show full quote

The X-Fi series of cards is generally a mess to sort out. If you do go for an X-Fi card you want one with the EMU20K1 or EMU20K2 processors.

Ultimately it comes down to which versions of EAX you want to have. The Audigy series supports up to EAX 4.0 whereas the X-Fi series (EMU20K1 or EMU20K2) supports up to EAX 5.0.

The only caveat about the Audigy 2 ZS is that it is prone to capacitors failing. I had issues where there would be a static noise during initial bootup. The static would go away after a minute or so, but it did interfere with the Windows XP startup sound. Replacing four capacitors on the card fixed the issue.

To be absolutely honest, I've never had a sound card before in any computer. I don't know the difference between the EAX but looking at your list there is no 5.0 game I want to play.

On the other hand, I care about 7.1 audio (my headphones will be a Steelseries 9h), and my speakers will be a Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II. I haven't had time yet to research whether EX has any connection with 7.1 audios, I need to study on this subject.

About the Audigy 2 ZS capacitors, are they easy to change for a beginner if I need to, or will it be a real pita?

andre_6 wrote on 2023-07-05, 03:19:

I would take a look at an Auzentech Meridian or Mystique to see the availability/prices around your parts. Can't beat that quality for XP imo

They seem to be very cool, but apparently these auzentech cards don't exist where I live, and the amount of fees I have to pay to import one... =\

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-05, 03:26:
EAX 5.0 hardware applies some quality improvements to previous EAX versions. So X-Fi is always better than previous DSP. […]
Show full quote

EAX 5.0 hardware applies some quality improvements to previous EAX versions. So X-Fi is always better than previous DSP.

Elite Pro has better analog output and external module is not required for it to function. Although you probably can buy it separately, if you're patient enough. Elite Pro is also comptatible with 5.25 inch bay, although headphone jack has worse output.

If you mainly use headphones, you also can buy any regular X-Fi plus external module from Elite Pro for best sound quality.

This Elite Pro is beautiful. I'm trying to build "more or less" a windows xp ultimate rig, so the idea of ​​buying it pleases me a lot. Can any X-Fi controller support an Elite Pro? I'm referring to the front I/O drive. I will use headphones and speakers.

RandomStranger wrote on 2023-07-05, 06:30:

I'm using an SB0460 in my XP PC, it's an EMU20K1. You can generally get them cheap and I'm satisfied with it.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but apparently it's a more musically inclined card. Would I be missing out on something with games if I chose her? I took a look and it really is pretty cheap in my area.

ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K
EVGA® GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Crucial® MX500 1TB

Reply 9 of 18, by Killermac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: I bought an Audigy 2 ZS with the justification that, eventually, it will leave this Windows XP/7 machine and go to a machine dedicated only to Windows 98/DOS Gaming

So what would be a great "upgrade" if I want to have something more high end with 7.1 headphone support? I remember having found it in some other topic, I believe @chinny22 saying that the ultimate soundcard for Windows XP would be the Elite Pro, are there official drivers for Windows 32-bit?

ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K
EVGA® GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Crucial® MX500 1TB

Reply 10 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All regular (Platinum, Music, etc) X-Fi PCI cards have connector for I/O external drive from Elite Pro package. I/O drive have its own DAC for headphones.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2023-07-05, 16:01. Edited 2 times in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Killermac wrote on 2023-07-05, 15:44:

To be absolutely honest, I've never had a sound card before in any computer. I don't know the difference between the EAX but looking at your list there is no 5.0 game I want to play.

If you're just getting started with EAX, this might interest you: EAX appreciation thread

On the other hand, I care about 7.1 audio (my headphones will be a Steelseries 9h), and my speakers will be a Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II. I haven't had time yet to research whether EX has any connection with 7.1 audios, I need to study on this subject.

It varies. Some games don't support surround sound without some form of audio acceleration.

Other games only support certain speaker configurations through EAX. For example: Doom 3, Quake 4 and Prey need EAX to work properly with 7.1 speakers. You can read about that here.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 12 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About the Audigy 2 ZS capacitors, are they easy to change for a beginner if I need to, or will it be a real pita?

They're through-hole components so the soldering skill needed is pretty basic. If you're never soldered before I'd recommend practicing on some solder project kits first.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 13 of 18, by Killermac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-07-05, 15:58:

All regular (Platinum, Music, etc) X-Fi PCI cards have connector for I/O external drive from Elite Pro package. I/O drive have its own DAC for headphones.

Oh, notes taken. Thank you!

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-07-05, 15:59:
If you're just getting started with EAX, this might interest you: EAX appreciation thread […]
Show full quote

If you're just getting started with EAX, this might interest you: EAX appreciation thread

It varies. Some games don't support surround sound without some form of audio acceleration.

Other games only support certain speaker configurations through EAX. For example: Doom 3, Quake 4 and Prey need EAX to work properly with 7.1 speakers. You can read about that here.

Thanks so much for sending me this guide. I read it before work and now, after it, I saw some things again and started to understand. Many more questions came up, but I'm determined to dive a little deeper and figure it out for myself. Apparently some of the games I'm interested in playing support 7.1, which is sweet!

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-07-05, 16:08:

They're through-hole components so the soldering skill needed is pretty basic. If you're never soldered before I'd recommend practicing on some solder project kits first.

Yeah, I've never soldered before. But apparently it looks like a fun thing to do and learn! The biggest challenge I have, in the end, will be after having practiced a lot in other parts to have the courage to do this with my Audigy, if necessary.

Thanks for the heads up, Shponglefan. I don't think I've mentioned this before, but my build is inspired by yours in many ways. I have your Windows XP topic saved in a fixed tab on my phone so I can always read the discussions you had about it. I even thought of asking you one of these days if that SimCity 4 printscreen you have in your topic is how a game with 1600x1200 resolution would look on a 1920x1200 screen. I tried looking up what the width of the black bars is in this app and screen resolution and couldn't find it.

But, guys, i REALLY hate being that kind of person, because I feel like it's hurting my ability to enjoy the experience of building a computer and overcoming all these adversities, to be honest, I stopped posting in several questions I had because, sometimes, I feel insecure that somehow I'm bothering by always asking absurdly simple things that I should have more willpower to research.

but I'd like to ask anyone who has time to spare:

https://support.creative.com/Products/Product … X-Fi%20Fatal1ty

I found this board new, with the front panel, everything perfect. The value is relatively affordable, but I swear I exhausted all my research sources (I appealed to chatGPT, such desperation) trying to understand if this card is compatible with Windows XP in the 32-bit version of 2002, and I couldn't find nothing talking about it. I couldn't even find that identification number that most people use (SBXXXX). I also looked on daniel_k's site and couldn't find any mention of it. Could someone please tell me if this card would work on my operating system?

ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K
EVGA® GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Crucial® MX500 1TB

Reply 14 of 18, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Killermac wrote on 2023-07-06, 23:07:

but I'd like to ask anyone who has time to spare:

https://support.creative.com/Products/Product … X-Fi%20Fatal1ty

I found this board new, with the front panel, everything perfect. The value is relatively affordable, but I swear I exhausted all my research sources (I appealed to chatGPT, such desperation) trying to understand if this card is compatible with Windows XP in the 32-bit version of 2002, and I couldn't find nothing talking about it. I couldn't even find that identification number that most people use (SBXXXX). I also looked on daniel_k's site and couldn't find any mention of it. Could someone please tell me if this card would work on my operating system?

Do you mean Windows XP SP1 by "Windows XP in the 32-bit version of 2002"? All the minimum requirements I've seen have listed Windows XP SP2 as minimum for X-Fi. If you are running 32-bit WinXP SP2 or SP3 then all X-Fi cards other than X-Fi Titanium HD will work just fine.

I don't know is SP2 truly a forced requirement for X-Fi drivers, but since you mentioned running an Ivy Bridge platfrom you probably should be running Windows XP SP3 anyway as there is a good chance it understands multi core CPUs of that era much better than earlier WinXP versions.

Reply 15 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Killermac wrote on 2023-07-06, 23:07:

Thanks so much for sending me this guide. I read it before work and now, after it, I saw some things again and started to understand. Many more questions came up, but I'm determined to dive a little deeper and figure it out for myself. Apparently some of the games I'm interested in playing support 7.1, which is sweet!

Before playing any game from the WinXP era, I always look it up on the PC Gaming Wiki. It usually has all the relevant info on sound and graphical settings, as well as any patches or tweaks that might be needed to get the game running correctly. In particular, the audio subsection often lists the supported EAX versions and surround sound capabilities, if available.

I even thought of asking you one of these days if that SimCity 4 printscreen you have in your topic is how a game with 1600x1200 resolution would look on a 1920x1200 screen. I tried looking up what the width of the black bars is in this app and screen resolution and couldn't find it.

I can't speak for Sim City 4 specifically, but I play 1600x1200 games on my 24" 1920x1200 monitor all the time, and they look awesome. You do need working aspect ratio scaling in the GPU drivers to make everything appear correctly. Nvidia has some issues with this, but I managed to get it going over a DVI connection. Not sure if it can be done over HDMI though. Of course, VGA will work fine without any driver settings, if your monitor supports aspect ratio correction in its firmware. But the image quality at 1600x1200 over VGA is somewhat lacking, so I prefer to use DVI.

BTW, Phil has a detailed video on using such a monitor for 1600x1200 gaming, in case you're interested.

Could someone please tell me if this card would work on my operating system?

Every X-Fi card works on Windows XP 32-bit, except for the Titanium HD. The HD version only officially supports Win7 and up. Regular (non-HD) Titanium X-Fi cards work fine under WinXP too. As to which service pack specifically you need to have installed as a minimum requirement, I have no idea, but the latest SP3 is definitively supported. To clarify, I'm talking about the standard PCI and PCIe versions of X-Fi cards. Not sure about the USB and embedded variants.

Reply 16 of 18, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would like to extend the original question since it fits the topic:
1.) Do PCIe-cards have any advantages over the PCI-version? There are X-fi cards in both variants
2.) Any experience with cards from other manufacturers? e.g. the ESI Prodigy X-Fi NRG

Reply 17 of 18, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanSolo wrote on 2023-07-07, 10:25:

Do PCIe-cards have any advantages over the PCI-version? There are X-fi cards in both variants

At one point, there were supposedly some latency issues between PCI X-Fi cards and certain motherboards. I'm not too familiar with this, and just remember reading about it, so someone else will have to chime in and provide more details.

This was fixed with PCIe X-Fi cards, so there's that. However, those cards have a different problem with OpenAL in certain games, if newer drivers are used. I have experienced this personally with OldUnreal (fan patch) and its OpenAL implementation, but it seems to affect some retail games as well. It can be solved by using an older driver from 2010, specifically version 2.17.0008 which can still be found on Creative's website.

Lastly, PCIe X-Fi cards have more X-RAM on board than the non-Elite/Fatal1ty PCI versions, but I'm not sure that even matters.