VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a 486 motheboard recently that has sixe 1/2 AA 3.6V lithium barrel battery so there is no any leakage at least yet. The battery is non rechargeable and seems to be glued to the motherboard in addition to being soldered to it. When the system is turned on multimeter shows 3.7V at the terminals but when the system is turned off the voltage at terminals gradually goes down and I have measured only 0.6V the next day. For some reason the system seems to be still keeping the bios settings. I know the battery must be very old since the voltage goes that low when system is turned off. It says it is non rechargeable but I wonder if it is recharging it since the voltage goes up when the system is turned off.

Main question is that would it be safe to leave the battery on the motherboard? I know that lithium batteries dont often leak but I also know that they can be rather volatile in some circumstances. The motherboard itself looks very pristine like it has not been used much and I dont see any corrosion anywhere. I know that if I solder a new battery there it is not going to look as pristine anymore and not sure how hard it is to remove all that glue that is used to glue to battery there.

Reply 1 of 4, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would remove it and use an external battery, most of the time there is a designated 4-pin header for that. Should be located close to the battery. 4-pin with one key (missing pin).
Also set the battery type jumper accordingly.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2 of 4, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PD2JK wrote on 2023-07-07, 04:23:

I would remove it and use an external battery, most of the time there is a designated 4-pin header for that. Should be located close to the battery. 4-pin with one key (missing pin).

Wasn’t there a project around here for a pcb that allowed a coin cell on the mobo in place of the barrel battery?

Need to look that up, I have the same need as OP RN for my sxl2 build

At OP:

I wanted to leave those batteries on my mobos for originality I thought that I would see it start to leak and intervene before issue, but just the other day I noticed that one had blown up and messed up some traces. No, off they all come now. They are the plague. It’s true what people say about these things.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 4, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NiCD batteries leak and at this time probably most have leaked and made damage if not removed. Lithium barrel batteries weren't used much and I haven't seen any leakage.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-07-07, 04:33:
Wasn’t there a project around here for a pcb that allowed a coin cell on the mobo in place of the barrel battery? […]
Show full quote
PD2JK wrote on 2023-07-07, 04:23:

Wasn’t there a project around here for a pcb that allowed a coin cell on the mobo in place of the barrel battery?

Need to look that up, I have the same need as OP RN for my sxl2 build

At OP:

I wanted to leave those batteries on my mobos for originality I thought that I would see it start to leak and intervene before issue, but just the other day I noticed that one had blown up and messed up some traces. No, off they all come now. They are the plague. It’s true what people say about these things.

Exactly same lithium batteries are still sold online and it would last about 10 years based on the datasheet so that is one option for me.
There is also battery holders for 1/2 AA size batteries, but I dont think it would fit because distance between the pins is 4mm more than pins in the battery itself.
https://media.distrelec.com/Web/Downloads/_t/ … 350_eng_TDS.pdf
https://media.distrelec.com/Web/Downloads/_t/ … 058_eng_tds.pdf

There is also external battery header but retroweb manual does not have any jumpers for battery marked for it but it has lots of factory configured jumpers that the manual does not tell what they do.
if I remove the old battery what is the best way to deal with the big blob of glue that is under the battery without causing any damage to the motherboard?