VOGONS

First post, by insanitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to have resurrected this iBase MB800H motherboard from the dead by replacing 1 big MOSFET and three smaller MOSFETS.

Air heat has a tendency to take those itty bitty caps and resistors and make them fly away or go places where they have never gone before and they will never return maybe.

So I took a spare motherboard and I took the parts from that board (which conveniently has a slightly different design) and installed those parts.

Did I install the right parts? I’m damned if I know.
Did I install parts which it needs? I’m still damned.

I don’t know what I should do now so I guess I’m seeking advice.

Is there an efficient way to test this thing for the sake of maybe I fixed it right?

When I go, the smiles and the laughs go with me.

Reply 1 of 4, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put a CPU in it and run some extended memory tests maybe? Like memtest86, it will stress CPU and make sure the memory is good at the same time, several full passes will take hours to a day. It'll also test CPU to memory bus and quality of power supply because if anything is bad it will start causing errors so it's a great method to test if you want a stable system anyway (this is also good for testing various performance enhancing BIOS settings).

Worst case scenario something is going to catch fire so preferably don't leave this unattended near anything flammable and don't put any rare or expensive CPUs or memory sticks (or other cards) in that mobo until you are happy with the testing results.

In future consider buying and using capton tape (plus some aluminum foil too) to both protect other parts from the heat/airflow and hold them down.

Reply 3 of 4, by insanitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-07-12, 12:21:

I took a look at the pics.

I think I’ve made a few corrections to the components but the main thing was I installed a capacitor where there should have been a resistor so thanks!

Time will tell the rest of the story but one thing I’ve discovered is that the two versions of motherboards have components of different values so I definitely went a bit liberal in replacing stuff but correcting that capacitor mishap was the important thing.

When I go, the smiles and the laughs go with me.