Reply 40 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanSolo wrote on 2023-07-13, 17:02:
NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2023-07-12, 18:10:
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-07-12, 17:58:

What is the reasoning behind wanting a super low wattage Windows 98 machine?

Countries like Germany have very high energy prices because of the Ukraine war, so I can understand that.

It's around 40 Cent/kWh. So if the system including monitor (which is a significant part of the calculation) draws 100 Watts that's 4 ct per hour. Nothing I worry too much about 😀

And during winter all the heat from the system will be heat that you won't have to generate by your central heating system (or whatever it is you use to warm your house).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 41 of 54, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2023-07-17, 00:24:
HanSolo wrote on 2023-07-13, 17:02:

Countries like Germany have very high energy prices because of the Ukraine war, so I can understand that.

It's around 40 Cent/kWh. So if the system including monitor (which is a significant part of the calculation) draws 100 Watts that's 4 ct per hour. Nothing I worry too much about 😀

And during winter all the heat from the system will be heat that you won't have to generate by your central heating system (or whatever it is you use to warm your house).

Resistive heat basically. It’s handy in winter, detrimental in summer. Best to make the heat using a heat pump though. More btus per watt that way than using a computer. (3-4 times the btus per watt) but if the watts are doing useful computing work that at least counts for something

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 42 of 54, by GokuSS4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤡
not because of the war, it because of the politics who forced the phase-out of nuclear energy. germany is going to deindustrialize fast 😀

but BTT:
what about an notebook instead of a desktop?

Win10 Ryzen 7 5800X | TUF B450M-Pro | 32GB DDR4-3800 CL16 | RX 6800 XT
WinXP Core i3-3220 | H77 Pro4-M | 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | X1950 Pro
Win98SE Pentium E5800 | 775i65G R3.0 | 512MB DDR1-400 CL2 | X850 XT

Reply 43 of 54, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why don't you use some Atom platform if it will be only for retro games?

Sphere478 wrote on 2023-07-15, 17:12:

You could make a solar powered setup

This is not economically justified as it will never make up for its investment in solar panels, charger, inverter and batteries, unless the unelected cowardly so called leaders of the eu and the countries in eu sponsor him personally. He'd better start sending his electricity bills to schultz or von der lier (or whatever are their names).

GokuSS4 wrote on 2023-11-02, 01:13:

🤡
not because of the war, it because of the politics who forced the phase-out of nuclear energy. germany is going to deindustrialize fast 😀

Indeed. Plus the "green" racket inposed only in eu. Glad to see an adequate German here 😀

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 44 of 54, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Laser wrote on 2023-07-13, 03:56:
please note that if you want energy efficienciy you must go for modern hardware yes or yes those old pentium 3 waste lot of ene […]
Show full quote
Confused UngaBunga wrote on 2023-07-12, 16:21:

What parts would you choose to build the most efficient, yet compatible, windows 98 pc?

My first thoughts were a 18W TDP 700 coppermine and a 15W Voodoo3, but maybe you can point me in a better direction?

please note that if you want energy efficienciy you must go for modern hardware yes or yes
those old pentium 3 waste lot of energy in idle , also those old motherboards alone waste lot of energy in idle and in use

in desktops PCs : the best intel generation for energy efficiency is the kaby lake and sky lake generation
from there they began to waste energy again pressured by the market to increase single core speed

ie you can purchase just by a few bucks a kaby lake/skylake mobo and a core i3 or core i5 low power , this is very efficient in idle and in use
then you can add for example a geforce 6600 pci expreess or any other member of the geforce 6 series because are the last which have drivers for win 98

if you want more energy efficiency add just a geforce 6200 instead

Yes, but on them under Windows 98, such software tools for slowing down / increasing speed as Intel SpeedStep, for example, will not work, which are limited in terms of Win9x support, if I remember correctly, to the most mobile Yonah (however, ASUS also released a desktop model for these processors). Probably some of that. What will give the maximum performance per watt and at the same time be able to slow down / accelerate depending on the load conditions.

Reply 45 of 54, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-11-02, 08:12:

Why don't you use some Atom platform if it will be only for retro games?

Those Atom CPUs themselves were really efficient, but they were paired with power-hog chipsets, at least on early boards (D945GCLF etc). 4W for the CPU is great until you see that 945GC eating >20W. I upgraded from D945GCLF to a Core i3 and actually reduced power consumption as idle draw of the i3 together with H61 chipset was half that of the old board.

Sphere478 wrote on 2023-07-15, 17:12:

You could make a solar powered setup

This is not economically justified as it will never make up for its investment in solar panels, charger, inverter and batteries, unless the unelected cowardly so called leaders of the eu and the countries in eu sponsor him personally. He'd better start sending his electricity bills to schultz or von der lier (or whatever are their names).

The leaders of the EU are elected by the leaders of the member states. Go blame your local govt if you don't like them or you feel processes are not democratic enough.

As for what is economically justified, it totally depends on power sources and pricing and that varies wildly between countries and locations, particularly once you factor in fiscal policy. Solar is presently the cheapest power source per kWh generated in most cases, the challenge is that most power is generated at times you don't need it (middle of the day in summer) and storage, particularly seasonal, is anything but cheap and easy, meaning the end-to-end price can be much higher once you factor that - or cost of backup sources on a cold dark winter evening - in to the equation. The trick to making it efficient is *not* to use an inverter but to do everything DC-DC. That increases efficiency by at least 25%, sometimes twice that. You can easily run a low power ATX system with PicoPSU using 12V or (better) 24V DC, drawn off truck batteries and topped up by the panels.

Someone living in southwestern US, southern Spain or even better - for this calculation - in the Sahel region of Africa (very dry, very sunny and day/night differences between seasons not too huge) might well find solar to be the best choice by a very wide margin. Someone on Iceland with almost constant cloud, weak sun at best and very dark for a few months probably less so (although they can just tap the magma up there of course 😉 ). Storage is more an urban-rural thing. Up in an apartment block, there are essentially no individual options beyond a battery good for 24h cycles at best, and collective ones are usualy thermal (pump excess heat into ground in summer, withdraw it in winter), not electric. In the boondocks, water and terrain are your friend. Pump water uphill when you have too much energy, let it run down over a generator when you have too little. In extreme cases you can even manage seasonal storage this way - plus any rainfall you might get also helps. Of course, in a flat desert this is also limited, but there you probably have enough sun in winter so don't need seasonal storage - once again what is possible and what is best really needs examining on a case-by-case basis.

Reply 46 of 54, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-11-02, 11:57:

Those Atom CPUs themselves were really efficient, but they were paired with power-hog chipsets, at least on early boards (D945GCLF etc). 4W for the CPU is great until you see that 945GC eating >20W. I upgraded from D945GCLF to a Core i3 and actually reduced power consumption as idle draw of the i3 together with H61 chipset was half that of the old board.

Interesting. Didn't know this about the Atom's chipsets as I never own one of these.

The leaders of the EU are elected by the leaders of the member states. Go blame your local govt if you don't like them or you feel processes are not democratic enough.

/off - I hate politics and I don't need masters

Who's elected von der lier? Which puppets are eu-countries "leaders"?

As for what is economically justified, it totally depends on power sources and pricing and that varies wildly between countries and locations, particularly once you factor in fiscal policy... blah-blah-blah...

My first engineering degree was into electrical science (plus I've 25+ years work experience in TPP), so, excuse me, but don't try to sell me some "green" energetic agenda nonsences as you personally have no idea of what really is a sustainable electricity system. Thank you!

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 47 of 54, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DoZator wrote on 2023-11-02, 09:18:

Yes, but on them under Windows 98, such software tools for slowing down / increasing speed as Intel SpeedStep, for example, will not work, which are limited in terms of Win9x support, if I remember correctly, to the most mobile Yonah (however, ASUS also released a desktop model for these processors). Probably some of that. What will give the maximum performance per watt and at the same time be able to slow down / accelerate depending on the load conditions.

Generally it's not too hard to make this kind of program. (At least on WinNT or DOS. I never tried doing low level hardware access on Win9x.)

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 49 of 54, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GokuSS4 wrote on 2023-11-02, 01:13:
🤡 not because of the war, it because of the politics who forced the phase-out of nuclear energy. germany is going to deindustria […]
Show full quote

🤡

but BTT:
what about an notebook instead of a desktop?

I second the laptop idea. It can be powered by a single DC voltage, also.
If requires between 15v and 18v, it might be possible to use a lead-gel battery and a solar panel to operate it fully independently from the mains.
Radio amateurs usually use 12v to 13,8v to power various equipment in their shack.
Ideal for emergency radio purposes.

PS: About the price in Germany.. It's complicated. Or rather, a comprehensive matter.
It has political reasons (Fukushima, protesting of citizens, conflicts etc), but also technical ones.
Our nuc. power plants are among the best (well, they used to be in the 1960s), but there's a catch.

a) There's currently no depot available to store the nuc. waste. The primary storage, the salt mine Gorleben is breaking down, water sneaks in. Existing waste must be "rescued" already.

b) The reprocessing/refreshing of elements is done by our French neighbors, which is a political balancing act.
It also involves castor trains moving back and forth, which is dangerous in those times.

c) There's no money and/or political support to build new power plants.
The existing ones used to be great, but that was decades ago.
They now fall apart, also due to wear out. The materials have a limited lifetime.

Meanwhile, our modern, but scrapped power plant designs are being evaluated in places like China. Using small, individual nuc. "pellets" as a failsafe mechanism is an interesting concept, too.

d) We have educated/capable nuc. experts, but they're leaving to other places.
Understandable. It's a common practice to study in Germany, then leave. I can't blame them.
Who ever has worked in education or social institutions knows how little people are actually being valued.
It's a social problem, we can't blame politics here. Not completely, at least.

My home town is nice for work/shopping, but not exactly to raise kids/to live. Too much bureaucracy, I think.

Too few people who raise their heads, stop walking and consciously realize their surroundings once in a while.
Watching the birds or squirrels, hearing the sounds of leaves rattling in the wind.. These kind of things.

By comparison, things were much brighter in the 90s, or so it seemed.

I kinda miss those old silly people who play with their grandchildren or do other silly and irrational things.
Ironically, these oldtimers were less squarely than my generation or that of my father or my sister.

When I see the current generation raising their kids, I'm in horror.
They talk to their children as if they were pets, maybe even lesser than that. I see this so often when riding the tram.
That's when I feel ashamed of my generation. We got so much love, why can't we pass it on? *sigh* 😔

(Edit: I'm not trying to say that people are generally cold-hearted or something. That's not how the country is.
No, there are many kind souls around, of course.
But the parenting style has somewhat changed, it seems. Please let me elaborate:

Ok, you see a child and it's mother on the tram station. The 5 year old child is crying, maybe because it's tired or thirsty.

Child: Cries at high volume, while stamping with the feets (hyper active? Parents deny attention?).
Mother (not facing the child):"No, I don't give you something now, Florian. Stop crying! Do you listen? You're embarrassing me. Florian! Stop crying, or.."

Back in the 90s, it was more like this.:
Mother/Grandma (facing the child): "Florian, why are you crying?"
Child (uttering at low volume): "Th-irsty. I want drinking."
Mother/Grandma: "Nah, I don't have something to drink now, my dear. But we're home soon. Just wait a bit longer."
Them hugging and entering the tram.)

Anyway, maybe it's just me. Complaining is very German, after all. Let's be proud to not to be proud. 😉

Edit: About the power/electricity thing..
Europe has a common power grid, which is electrically connected.

Member countries do support this common grid according to their current capacity.
So it's unlikely that one country "goes down" so suddenly.
However, prices may sky rocket for the weakest country in desperate need for electricity.

That's also why the nuc. "exit" of Germany is a bit of a problem here.
France continues to use nuc. power plants. So "we" indirectly still continue to make use of nuc. power, which might be ethically questionable.

Edited.

Edit: A "sun oven" would be a fine replacement for a conventional nuc. power plant.
Engineers are already working on it, but a real world use is still in the future. Not so far anymore, though.
Maybe within the next 20 years.. If we're still around by then.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2023-11-03, 14:10. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 50 of 54, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many laptops will actually run off 12V or 13.4 car voltage, but will fail to charge their batteries. However, "12V" solar panels will climb to 16-18V in full sun also. So just plugging into a simple 12V panel direct may charge batteries during the day, without a "house" battery. It will be a bit hit and miss though if you want several hours of operation every evening.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51 of 54, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-02, 20:18:

Many laptops will actually run off 12V or 13.4 car voltage, but will fail to charge their batteries. However, "12V" solar panels will climb to 16-18V in full sun also. So just plugging into a simple 12V panel direct may charge batteries during the day, without a "house" battery. It will be a bit hit and miss though if you want several hours of operation every evening.

+1

It's better to use a solar regulator, there are good and better ones.
Some can charge 12v rechargeable batteries without harming them on the long run.

_
I also forgot that some laptops need the battery for buffering,
the power brick alone might not have enough power/amps to handle the laptop on its own.

If that's the case, a stronger power brick might solve the problem (if the laptops internal PSU is fine with that use case).

PS: Some Thin Clients are Windows 9x friendly and use a DC input.
Next are older internet set-top boxes (some run of the mains). 486/Pentium class. They need some extra modding, though. BIOS, IDE ports etc..

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 52 of 54, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-11-02, 12:12:

Interesting. Didn't know this about the Atom's chipsets as I never own one of these.

Later Atom CPUs (Goldmont architecture onwards) had integrated DRAM controllers and performed much better, 4-6W for complete SoC and no additional chipset needed. You don't see those on ITX boards as much as the older ones, unfortunately.

As for what is economically justified, it totally depends on power sources and pricing and that varies wildly between countries and locations, particularly once you factor in fiscal policy... blah-blah-blah...

My first engineering degree was into electrical science (plus I've 25+ years work experience in TPP), so, excuse me, but don't try to sell me some "green" energetic agenda nonsences as you personally have no idea of what really is a sustainable electricity system. Thank you!

This old dog is teaching himself new tricks with an electrical engineering degree right now, specializing in energy delivery systems. Maybe time for a refresher... This stuff is the future - politics aside, it's vastly more efficient to get energy directly from primary sources rather than taking a detour via a bunch of plants and micro-organisms that died aeons ago - less conversions is always better. There are huge challenges in generation and distribution in models that rely on something other than 'burn stuff in a combined cycle gas turbine', but that sort of thing is what makes engineering fun. Fully agree that decommissioning existing nuclear was insane though.

Reply 53 of 54, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^It's also a historical "problem" here, I think.
Germany used to be the "land of the philosophers and thinkers", but after war it was different.

Just look at the cities. Before war, the cities were playful and diverse, with ornaments and pretty facades on the houses.

After war, things had to be rebuild. Quickly. That was when purely functional design took over. Mass production of homes, so to say.
On both sides, East and West of Germany.

That also had influence to the industry.
Coal power plants and nuc. power plants got the primary drivers.

Especially in East Germany, the cheaper quality brown coal was used to generate electricity.

They also had nuc. power plants, highly modern for their time (with control room like being a set from Space:1999).
The Soviets were very interested in GDR's progress in that field, too.

Other businesses were steel industry and automobile industry.
With the latter being very dominant in politics.

That's why Germany never evolved, despite having good engineers and engineering samples.
Too much old dirty hands holding on onto coal industry and car/oil industry.

We had proper electric cars in the 1970s already, even with digital dashboards.
Prototypes and small series were being made by all the major car companies at some point.

The technology wasn't the problem. It was the refuse to change.
The industry didn't want clean energy, not profitable to them.

The only reason we have hybrid cars and electric cars now is because conventional cars are being "uncool".
The industry knows it has to change, but tries to delay things as much as possible.

The climate change isn't new, either. We kids had been teached about this issue in the 1980s/1990s already ("green house effect").

About the ozone hole of its time, too. After FCKW was banned, it got smaller and things recovered.
So much for humans not having an effect on the environment.

Movies like Silent Running addressed environmental issues in the 1970s already, as well.
Books talked about this, too.
The principle of the hydrogen fuel cell was known for ages, too.

Seriously, technology isn't the problem.
There are enough people who have various ideas to handle things in a environmental friendly way.

However, the society always laughs about them or even hates them.
I often feel like we want to believe that we can't change this, anymore, so we don't have to take action and responsibilities.

Age is also a factor. If you're young you have ideals and the urge to improve things.
But at some point in life, you're stop being flexible and are stuck in a fixed thinking-pattern.

You don't want the world to change anymore, you want do continue "business as usual".
At this point, your getting very arrogant and feel superior to the young. You know it better, even if you don't.
That's an subconscious self-protection mechanism of the mind, maybe, not sure.

Corona/Covid was an excellent example here. Too many people refused to accept the facts, even if the police stood in front of them, telling them to wear their masks in public.

Anyway, maybe I should stop here now.
Some people reading this may don't want to hear this, no matter if it's the truth or not.

//My video channel//

Reply 54 of 54, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-11-02, 19:56:
Edit: About the power/electricity thing.. Europe has a common power grid, which is electrically connected. […]
Show full quote

Edit: About the power/electricity thing..
Europe has a common power grid, which is electrically connected.

Member countries do support this common grid according to their current capacity.
So it's unlikely that one country "goes down" so suddenly.
However, prices may sky rocket for the weakest country in desperate need for electricity.

That's also why the nuc. "exit" of Germany is a bit of a problem here.
France continues to use nuc. power plants. So "we" indirectly still continue to make use of nuc. power, which might be ethically questionable.

Edited.

Edit: A "sun oven" would be a fine replacement for a conventional nuc. power plant.
Engineers are already working on it, but a real world use is still in the future. Not so far anymore, though.
Maybe within the next 20 years. If we're still around by then.

Hey, Jo22, please, better off comment something like how to measure power consumption of my old undervolted and underclocked Celeron 600 with Watt (power) meter, because...

About electrical power speculations here

Things with electricity production and its distribution are not that simple as you imagine. It's not like "we have a retro lanparty with one hub let's connect all the PCs to it with some wires and the network is done". Or like "we have a big excess of electricity due to large number of NPPs in France, let's pull up some wire to Greece to feed them with electricity as they have no powerplants anymore". There are things like reactive power that is produced by electrical power synchronous generators (some of them may consume reactive energy while producing active energy, but it depends on the generator construction and parameters for its nominal long-time working conditions) and consumed only by electrical motors, and capacitive-reactive power is also generated by long power HV-lines (they act like enormous air capacitors) and the frequency of the alternating current depends on power factor (cos phi) and this reactive power. Power generators are not asynchronous thus they all produce alternating current with fixed frequency (50 Hz for European countries) and even not so big fluctuation of this frequency (+/- 2 - 3 HZ out of 50) in the power grid (due to extremely fast loading or offloading with power consumers or power generation) can cause generators to go out of synchronous mode and the system will breaks down. It is impossible to have a concentration of power sources (or only very big power sources as NPPs) in one part/region of the power distribution grid and a large number of consumers in another part, there must be a power balance of the whole system. I won't mention in details things like long-distance electricity transmission losses, the need for "fast" replacements (i.e. hydroelectric power plants on dams) for accidentally cut-off large capacity power generators and a bunch of other related stuff to be assured stable and balanced electrical power distribution grid. With the prevalence of "fans" (wind generators) and solar panels it is also impossible to build a robust and sustainable energy system/grid/infrastructure at the country/state scale as these're not sure, constant and predictive sources for generated power.

The subject is specific, it is (or was - in the past age) studied in a separate discipline "power grids" as part of the electrical engineering courses in technical universities. Unfortunately I can't explain in more details and with correct terminologies in English, as this language is not my native.

These essays you have written are at the level of a Brussels bureaucratic corrupted blo*kheads (don't get it personally). I have already noted not to speculate on this subject by technically incompetent people for this matter. Thank you!