VOGONS

First post, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to install drivers for my PCI cards in DOS, one is a RTL8139 NIC, the other is a YMF724 sound card. My motherboard has no compatibility issues with them, since they worked perfectly well under Windows 95, which is my previous OS before. Now, my OS is DOS/WFW 3.11. The NIC can be used by WFW3.11 pretty well. There is no Win3.x driver for YMF724, however. In DOS, after installing the YMF724's DOS driver, it says "Error: Can't find YAMAHA DS-XG". The lines added in Autoexec.bat are the following:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
copy C:\DS-XG\DOS4GW.EXE \
chcp 437
C:\DS-XG\SETUPDS.EXE /S
del \DOS4GW.EXE

In the other hand, after installing the RTL8139's DOS driver(Microsoft Network Client v3.0 for MS-DOS with the NIC's NDIS driver), it says "No Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter Found! | Driver Not Loaded". The lines added in Config.sys is:

DEVICE=C:\NET\ifshlp.sys

and in Autoexec.bat:

C:\NET\net initialize
C:\NET\netbind.com
C:\NET\umb.com
C:\NET\tcptsr.exe
C:\NET\nmtsr.exe
C:\NET\emsbfr.exe
C:\NET\net start

I have thought it could be an issue related to IRQ conflict, but they worked well in Win95. As they share the same IRQ10(my mainboard forces the 2 PCI slots to use IRQ10/11, but IRQ11 is dead), I tried to take out the NIC and the YMF724 still couldn't be detected.

I have no idea what to do next, please help!

Constantly looking for the driver for Acer Magic v1 MPEG decoding card.

Reply 2 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are different revisions of the RTL8139 chip. Early drivers do not support or recognize cards with newer RTL8139 chips. If your Realtek network card has an RTL8139C+ or RTL8139D, this is likely why the DOS driver doesn't recognize your card.

Reply 3 of 7, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-07-19, 18:40:

There are different revisions of the RTL8139 chip. Early drivers do not support or recognize cards with newer RTL8139 chips. If your Realtek network card has an RTL8139C+ or RTL8139D, this is likely why the DOS driver doesn't recognize your card.

Thanks for your reply.
I followed this YT video. The guy managed to install the DOS driver for his PCI RTL8139D card.

Reply 4 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. You don't need the DOS4GW.exe lines for the Yamaha card unless you have to use DSDMA. Those default lines for DOS4GW are dumb either way as there is absolutely no ready to copy it, run it, and then delete it.

From DOS, without booting into Windows, run SETUPDS.exe. this will either day the card is not detected or open up the configuration utility.

What are the specs of the rest of your system?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:30:

From DOS, without booting into Windows, run SETUPDS.exe. this will either day the card is not detected or open up the configuration utility.

It says"the card is not detected".

What are the specs of the rest of your system?

Motherboard: AVT 586 GX LITE V2
CPU: Cyrix MediaGX GX-166BP
RAM: 4MBx2 EDO RAM (60ns)+ 4MBx2 FastPage RAM (70ns)
HDD:WDAC1210-21F 210MB 3300rpm
Video Card: Trident TVGA 9000C (ISA)
Sound Card: Sunflower YMF-724 (PCI)
NIC: DataLink Realtek RTL8139D (PCI)

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say that I know my motherboard doesn't support SB-Link or DDMA, but the card's SBPro emulation should still work.
Beside that, I have tried the DOS driver from its OEM driver CD and a modified version got from this forum, which I don't remember which version it is though.

Reply 6 of 7, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:30:

1. You don't need the DOS4GW.exe lines for the Yamaha card unless you have to use DSDMA. Those default lines for DOS4GW are dumb either way as there is absolutely no ready to copy it, run it, and then delete it.

I have removed the following lines in Autoexec.bat as you suggested:

copy C:\DS-XG\DOS4GW.EXE \
chcp 437
del \DOS4GW.EXE

Now at boot-up, it says:

Stub exec failed:
dos4gw.exe
No such file or directory

Reply 7 of 7, by GunKneeNeon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried using some PCI examination tools under DOS to check the PCI cards and it proved that the hardware were present.

This is the output of the RBpci. I used the -bN (bypass BIOS) option to list the devices, without it the output was empty.

Filename
LOG.TXT
File size
5.35 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license
Public domain

And this is the output from PCISleep, the Realtech NIC and the Yamaha sound card are listed:

pci.png
Filename
pci.png
File size
350.19 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain