VOGONS

First post, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello i got a motherboard QDI Legend Advance 9 with a Pentium 3, everything works as intended, except the keyboard ( ps/2 ). It does not respond, the three LED at the keyboard just randomly flash at the same time, and that's it. I tried with another keyboard, same thing, so it's something hardware related.

I sprayed some WD-40 at the connector, maybe because some corrosion, but nothing. Any ideas ? Thanks

Video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rAasENnnpqTa … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 1 of 5, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only suggestion I can offer is to look carefully at the components on the motherboard near the PS/2 connector. See if anything looks like it’s burnt out or anything. As I understand it, it can be bad to plug and unplug PS/2 devices while the computer is on, and that can cause damage.

Reply 2 of 5, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
danieljm wrote on 2023-07-19, 18:57:

The only suggestion I can offer is to look carefully at the components on the motherboard near the PS/2 connector. See if anything looks like it’s burnt out or anything.

Or maybe it's just the connector that went bad.

Reply 3 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would try cleaning the PS/2 socket with electrical contact cleaner. If that changes nothing, I would very carefully inspect the traces going to the PS/2 socket.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like danieljim said

Maybe there's a blown fuse/coil on the mainboard near the ps2 connector, and the keyboard is now drawing power over the data lines which isn't enough to power the keyboard properly.

I've had a similar experience and I didn't notice the broken/burnt coil until I measured its continuity and upon desoldering it came off in two pieces.

Measure between pin 3 & 4 on the ps2 connecter to verify you have 5v there while the system is on.

edit: I remembered incorrectly. the coil was broken, but did still have continuity yet it was high resistance. Thus when a load like a keyboard was present, the voltage would drop and caused that strange behaviour.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 5, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended up disassemblingthe ps/2 ports, as result....there was nothing wrong with them, metal pins where fine and there were not corrosion.

Also i see no ruined capacitors / fuse, only very tiny chips or whatever are those, the motherboard don't recognize USB keyboards aswell, so i think it's time to toss that away.....