VOGONS

First post, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have two computers with Windows 98 and I am testing the same CD-Rom unit.

I have problem with CD Audio.

Both machines appear to have VXD sound card driver and I have disabled Digital CD Audio over IDE cable because I don't want it. I want analog audio or digital via SPD/IF cable (which works on Sound Blaster Live with CD_SPDIF).

Now one computer plays CD audio perfectly and shows CD content as usual - cda tracks.

But second computer plays CD only sometimes and when you list content it shows directory structure with Mono/Stereo and 8khz / 16khz / 22khz / 44khz subfolders. These subfolders contain wav files. These wav files seems to play over digital cd audio over IDE cable in Winamp. While in Windows Media Player 9 I have force checked Analog Audio Play & Record, so here it does not play at all.

I suspect I did install some WDM sound card drivers in the past, then replaced sound card and now I use VXD drivers as well. The second machine sometimes does not play audio cd because of that.

Is there some kind of Windows 98 ASPI / ATAPI CD driver reset or some kind of manual registry entry to disable digital cd extraction over IDE? The first machine is ok, so I can even copy some DLL files from System folder.

Also due to this subfolder digital cd audio reading, autoplay won't work correctly. For some reason it tries to play some files in the first subfolder, which is 8khz mono and that won't work. I don't want to reinstall whole machine because I have some other work there.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found Adaptec ASPI driver in Installed programs. This is Windows98SE with some patches & updates applied. After uninstalling Adaptec ASPI driver, the drive in explorer correctly shows only cda files and no subfolders.

But it still does not play in Windows Media Player, even though I set it up to use Analog for all CD drives. Second Win98SE (also patched) works out of the box.

Reply 3 of 3, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, this seems to be what you have, no idea about what you can do about it 😀 http://web.archive.org/web/20041209091837/htt … atecdfsvxd.html
(Install it on a clean system with a classic "uninstaller" program that logs the changes and then figure out what to restore on the other? Just reinstall windows as period accurate?)