VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a problem with an acer laptop from 2005. The plastic all around the keyboard has gotten sticky and it cant be affected by normal cleaning like IPA. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? I was considering trying some kind of abrasive to try get rid of the sticky layers but I was worried about causing even bigger mess and I would prefer being able to preserve the original stickers on the laptop. Bottom of the lap top is fine and lid and bezels around the screen are also fine. No idea what has caused only the plastic around the keyboard becoming like that. I have not used the laptop for years.

Any ideas what would be the best thing to do?

P_20230725_051025.jpg
Filename
P_20230725_051025.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit: This picture might give you some idea of how sticky it is.

Reply 1 of 16, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just watched YT video on this .. and it was two Acer laptops too, but whoever made this video didnt put laptop/plastic/acer in the title so I cant find it 😒
from my failing memory (I avoid anything with this sticky material so didnt pay attention) he took both laptops completely apart, then dunked plastic parts in IPA for "some" time, then scrubbed and scrubbed and scruuuubbed for over an hour

I found older Julian Ilett video on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgcqDbTeEVo

Edit: it was Compaqs after all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzWf1kFxayA. Now I need to figure out why my browser history search fails to find words laptop/restoration/sticky in page titled "Vintage PIII laptops Repair & Restoration. MOBO repair, respray, sticky rubberized paint"

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2023-07-25, 02:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 16, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a plasticizer leak problem and is probably going to affect every rubberized surface like that. I have few thinkpads that are going to go bad like this in future. From what I have gathered you only can deal with it using mechanical means but I have found that using deep freeze helps the process since it temporarily stops the stickyness and allows less terrible removal 🤣

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lemon essential oil from doTERRA makes pretty quick work of that sticky junk.

Generic (any other brand) of lemon essential oil will work as well.

Put a drop or two on and rub it around in a small-ish area for a bit and then wipe it off.

Make sure to try on a piece that doesn't show because some plastics are not very resistant to citrus oils.

I haven't had any problems with any computer plastics but I guess there could be some that is really cheap and won't hold up.

When you do wipe it up, make sure to get it mostly dried as if it stays on there long enough it has a better chance of causing issues.

Non-diluted essential oils will evaporate pretty quickly which is why I only recommend doTERRA.

If you don't have access to good essential oils, you can also use a citrus based furniture polish. It just takes a lot longer for it to break down the sticky junk.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Murphy's oil soap is meant to be the miracle cleaner for this... I was convinced enough to grab a small bottle, but haven't tried it yet.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen it with a few things including mice.

My old 2010 ASUS G73JH notebook melted too. I experimented with some fixes but in the end bought an aftermarket skin set to apply over it.

Reply 7 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, if you can cover it over it's FAR quicker, we had a P4 compaq with a large expanse of thickly coated wrist wrest area and on finding out it took over an hour to get one small test corner completely free of any trace of the damn stuff, we just covered it over with clear "stickyback plastic" film.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 16, by Rwolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a sticky plastic/rubber surface on one similar keyboard (not the keys themselves) and after ordinary cleaning failed, I just applied some potato starch to the surface, and it seems to have worked out for me.

Reply 9 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A long while back I powdered a couple of things in the initial stages of sticky with talcum powder, before we knew that you can't necessarily guarantee that it hasn't got forms of asbestos in it, and that held it off for a while... if it's something you forget about for a bit though, it goes right through the "little bit tacky" to La Brea Tar pit/Tasha Yar's doom kinda thing.

Reply 10 of 16, by goofyahhuncle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At our office, we had a similar issue with a laptop that had been sitting unused for quite some time. The cleaning company we hired, Going Green, approached it delicately, using cotton balls and Q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol to gently remove the sticky residue. They were careful not to saturate the area, as we didn't want alcohol seeping into the switches.
If you try this method, remember to be gentle and cautious. Rubbing alcohol can dissolve sticky residue effectively, but it's important to avoid getting it on the screen, as it could cause damage. Also, take care not to rub too hard, as abrasive cleaning could damage the plastic or the stickers you want to preserve.

Last edited by goofyahhuncle on 2024-04-24, 19:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 16, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As long as you are cleaning a metal chassis, plastic ones are going to deform quite a lot...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12 of 16, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-07-25, 02:44:

This is a plasticizer leak problem and is probably going to affect every rubberized surface like that. I have few thinkpads that are going to go bad like this in future. From what I have gathered you only can deal with it using mechanical means but I have found that using deep freeze helps the process since it temporarily stops the stickyness and allows less terrible removal 🤣

my IBM Thinkpad 760EL is getting quite sticky in certain areas, mainly the palm rest area.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 13 of 16, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
goofyahhuncle wrote on 2024-04-23, 09:54:

Agree with the acetone. Really helps.

I'd be really careful with acetone on computers and peripherals. It literally dissolves ABS and similar plastics. At least find out what kind of plastic the shell is made from, and check its chemical resistance chart before trying acetone.

I've successfully used a combination of mechanical removal (old credit cards and guitar picks are useful tools) and ethanol/IPA to remove sticky rubber coating. Sure, it's no wonder medicine, it'll need some work, but at least it's safe with most if not all plastics used in computer equipment.

Otherwise chlorinated hydrocarbon based gasket remover works really well. It is however also very aggressive to plastics in general, so the same precautions as for acetone applies.

Reply 15 of 16, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This plastic degradation happens on lots of items after their expected service life...had the same happen on Saitek X52 joysticks and similar items, on Canon cameras and so on. I guess it will at some point affect any "soft touch" plastic.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 16 of 16, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've dealt with my share of soft touch surfaces and find it hard to believe that IPA won't work here. There's quite a bit of wiping involved (try to avoid hard rubbing, it won't help remove the coating but may hurt the surface), but so far it's always done the trick eventually. And it doesn't even interact with prints (e.g. logos, button labels) that may be on there (well, so far at least - ymmv). Unlike acetone, which will not only smear prints but will often also dissolve and destroy the surface.