VOGONS

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm contemplating the (re)purchase of lga 771 hardware. I used to own an Intel serverboard, s5000vsa4dimmr, and really liked the fact that it ran Windows 2000, also XP, 2003 server, and even 2008. There are a couple of drivers for 08 currently available for download. Now SM has a similar board, conveniently not eatx (only a smidgeon wider then plain atx), has lots of connectivity, more then I'd need. But no sign of support for 2008. SM doesn't even have a page for it, only a chart for os compatibility. The issue of it not supporting 2008, at least not officially, is not a real issue, as the reason I want it is to run 16/32 bit crappola. It would be nice though to run something reasonably modern. It also only supports 24gb, the Intel 32gb of ram.

Deep in my soul I feel an Intel board is likely an all around better choice. But I'm phishing for opinions of those who've owned boards from both companies regardless of era (but nothing real modern). The sm board is cheaper also. Both have their oops and doons. I watched Mary Queen of Scots last night, I've developed an inclination to Scootish pronunciation. It was a really good movie but also a pos at the same time.