VOGONS

First post, by k24a1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I own one of these weird hp e-pc systems from 2001 and I have the e-pc 42. I tried replacing the optical drive as the original CD-ROM drive was broken (not even adjusting the pot helped...) and I am met with an error from the BIOS telling me that the optical drive is not present or reports an error, even though the drive I have is perfectly fine. I looked further and it seems HP has put in a whitelist or lockout system for installing a replacement optical drive, which is honestly bonkers. The successor to this machine, the Compaq Evo D510 e-pc, states a similar kind of thing in the spec manual "extremely secure! optical drive cannot be replaced" or something along the lines of that. Honestly this feels stupid to me and it's basically iPhones locking other parts out before it happened. The drive does get detected under windows but I would love to install a fresh copy of windows on a larger hard drive. Has anyone worked with these e-pc machines before? Has anyone replaced an optical drive in one while still having it boot? Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry no. I stay away from those SFF of that era from certain companies as they were designed for commercial office use and are "throw away" when they die, the only thing standard is the HDD and RAM..
If you still have the original CD/DVD drive I suggest you try to track down the actual manufacture as there may be a similar model that will work...with the proprietary BIOS....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 11, by k24a1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-08-04, 02:44:

Sorry no. I stay away from those SFF of that era from certain companies as they were designed for commercial office use and are "throw away" when they die, the only thing standard is the HDD and RAM..
If you still have the original CD/DVD drive I suggest you try to track down the actual manufacture as there may be a similar model that will work...with the proprietary BIOS....

I do. I'm not sure if the BIOS ever stores the model of the original drive or something so if a new one is installed with a different model, it wouldn't work... but also I'm not quite sure either way. I'm honestly confident the BIOS could be modified or the check could be disabled somehow but again I'm not sure how all of that works. :^)

Reply 3 of 11, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whitelists are generally based on PCI IDs but of course that's not a thing for disks, if there really is one* it's probably based on the ATA(PI) identity data... that's assuming they didn't go as far as having custom firmware with custom commands on the drive (which frankly is not implausible, the Sandybridge Dell 7010 I'm using right now has a custom version of a Samsung laptop drive, albeit with apparently no functional differences)...

* May it be an equally stupid configuration affair? I have a Teac CD drive with an actual 44-pin IDE connector instead of that weird thing that's standard on IDE laptop drives, on the side you can find the jumper connectors (like on a 44 pin HDD) but they're nonstandard, with no jumper (which should be master) the drive works as slave and that's only if I don't have a master connected...

Phoenix is not the worst bios to modify or even to use (see Insyde) but not as much as AMI/Award, and even then dealing with compression is a pain...

Reply 4 of 11, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right about the "security." That's incredibly stupid and doesn't affect security at all.
https://www.andovercg.com/datasheets/hp-compa … 0-quickspec.pdf

I've never heard of this happening outside of game consoles. I'm curious about this since I have an HP laptop that won't detect my known-good slim IDE optical drive. I never would have thought that optical drives would be whitelisted, especially not to make the system "completely secure" with an exclamation mark.

Reply 5 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 yeah the missing TPM and cannot change the CD/DVD player is a security feature.... NOT !
"5. Completely Secure! CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-RW or Combo Drive can no be changed." What kind of grammar is that hahaaa

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 11, by k24a1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeahhh I do not get that AT ALL. I don't see how the optical drive being tied to the machine would make it "secure"... if anything it would make it more of a paperweight than it already was...
I've attached the BIOS file (zipped) in case you all wanna take a peek at it. I believe its AMIBIOS 7??

Attachments

• Filename
    JB0108.zip
    File size
    264.91 KiB
    Downloads
    31 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing is a normal D510 SFF will accept any old drive and basically the same size. I guess given the E-PC is a low cost variant they were making sure once warranty was over a sale of a new PC was "secured"

Reply 9 of 11, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try another Compaq branded drive?
I had the experience with Proliant servers that can only boot off their Smartstart configuration CD from a Compaq branded CD-drive.
They do not use ordinary CD-boot, so it might be a different issue,but might be worth a try.
Usually these office desktops are much more reliable than their home pendants, as they were designed for 24/7 uptime despite temporary use only.

Reply 10 of 11, by k24a1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I tried another HP/Compaq branded drive though this machine was from months *before* the merger. The lockout carried over to the D510 e-pc and that's the only mention of the lockout that I could find in HP/Compaq's documentation.

Reply 11 of 11, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The BIOS looks for the firmware of the CDROM.
You need to repair the CDROM drive not replace it.
I never tried to flash the firmware to another similar model. But after all these years Im not sure if I would bother looking for one then go through all the trouble to flash it just to find there is something else stopping you from getting the BIOS to see it.