VOGONS

First post, by dweeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, have you experienced problems with these two pieces of hardware ?

I bought this video card recently on ebay, seller tested it working and i kinda trust him, but here at home it won't boot (motherboard is beeping and screen stays black), the system is ok and tested with an ATI rage pro and a GeForce 2 GTS (both AGP).

I tried a few things :

to boot with a PCI 2D card + kyro II and flash the bios with a gui utility i found, the tool gives me some checksum error and cannot erase the bios.
then i tried installing the driver anyway and windows became somewhat unstable, the video card shows in device manager but flags as a non working.
tried 2/3 and 1/1 settings for AGP in the bios.

I found this post regarding compatibility issues with AGP 4x but correct me if i'm wrong BH6 motherboard is 2x only.
Kyro II compatibility/stability issue? (Intel 845GE / ICH4 chipset?)

System is P3 600E, 256Ram, Abit BH6 (440Bx), win98.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried what I did regarding hot-plugging the card? If that works then it’s likely you’ll need the mods I did.

If hot-plugging gets you nowhere then you either have a much bigger compatibility issue between card and motherboard, or a dead card.

Reply 4 of 5, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kyro II should run on i440BX just fine. If it doesn't, then it is probably damaged somehow.
AGP 4x/8x boards (chipsets) are completely different story as the Kyro II is known to have issues there. But on any AGP 2x capable board it should run.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware