VOGONS

First post, by doublebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How do you keep your hardware stored and (hopefully) organized?

I noticed I am accumulating cards and such more than I actually need, piling them in anti-static bags in Ikea containers, surely there is be a better way?

Reply 1 of 14, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use clear plastic bins that I label accordingly. As I accumulate more specific items, I separate things into more specialized bins.

Attachments

• Parts Storage 01.jpg
    Filename
    Parts Storage 01.jpg
    File size
    128.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Parts Storage 02.jpg
    Filename
    Parts Storage 02.jpg
    File size
    138.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Shponglefan on 2023-08-04, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 14, by doublebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-04, 18:37:

I use clear plastic bins that I label accordingly. As I accumulate more of specific items, I separate things into more specialized bins.

I am heading towards the same kind of system, but I wondered could the cpus, cards and ram sticks and other more fragile items get damaged when stacked against each other.

Reply 3 of 14, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's what I use..

Motherboard Storage: https://gbepackaging.com/Item/16-x-10-x-2-3-4 … iler-bsmfl16102
RAM storage: https://www.amazon.com/ZMAX-Package-Cover-Des … /dp/B07LG4WMC2/
CPU storage: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162164636507

Bulk shelving for parts/computers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225620010283?epid=27034755121

Video of part of my storage: https://youtu.be/r7u0Vy1y4-k

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 4 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
doublebuffer wrote on 2023-08-04, 19:40:

I am heading towards the same kind of system, but I wondered could the cpus, cards and ram sticks and other more fragile items get damaged when stacked against each other.

Depends on how many you stack, but usually no if within reasonable amount.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 14, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use clear plastic bins that I label accordingly. As I accumulate more of specific items, I separate things into more specialized bins.

RAM sticks aren't likely to be damaged. For those and CPUs you can get clamshells and small boxes.
Re: How do you store your cpus collection?
For the clamshells, you can visit all the satanic places like ebay, aliexpress, amazon. Maybe even ask around local computer stores, especially those with repair services if they have some they'd throw away otherwise.

You can also harvest sockets from dead boards:

IMG_20230804_214910.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230804_214910.jpg
File size
874.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 6 of 14, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lots of plain brown cardboard boxes here, three basic types. IKEA PAPIS for the bigger items - three of them to an IVAR shelf, perfect fit. Smaller ones (~shoe box sized) for cards and junk. It's easy to glue in some dividers so cards stay put and don't rub against or put pressure on each other. Sprinkle in liberal amounts of antistatic bags whereever necessary. Finally, for the very small stuff like RAM, wide (A4) and flat boxes so as to keep the weight/pressure down and get a good overview of the contents. Nice, large labels on the front of everything so I don't have to rummage around.

Reply 7 of 14, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a mess. I'm putting up track shelving, though not entirely for PC parts, and from there I hope to get things more organized.
I have a dresser full of video cards, sound cards, disks, and some CPU and RAM trays. I put that stuff in there when I moved, and most of it is still there.
Some of my PC cases have random parts inside, again that's from moving. You can stuff a lot of bagged hardware into a case - but then you need to keep records of where to find it later.

I have some stackable plastic drawers like they sell at WalMart/Target, but they're a little weak. I had trouble with those at the old place because as I stacked them higher, they sometimes got hard to open and the plastic structure that supports the drawers started to break. The bins that Schpongle posted above would be better for strength.

My (working) motherboards are on a shelf, standing vertically. They are in shielding bags so they don't scratch each other. Tags taped onto the bags make it easy to find them - but a lot of them are unmarked.
The problem is there's no dividers. It's hard to pull one out, and the total weight might put bending pressure on the boards if they lean too much.
With the new shelves, I want to get one of them at the perfect clearance for motherboards. That way the supports for the next higher shelf will also serve to divide the boards, so the entire total of them aren't all leaning on each other. Because of the granularity of track shelving, I'll have to compromise on the thickness of the plywood in order to get the clearance right.
ATX is 12x9.6", EATX is 12x13", and MicroATX is 9.6x9.6". My plan was for ~12" clearance, but another option would be ~9.6" clearance, turning the boards sideways on a deeper shelf. This would not work for EATX though.

Reply 8 of 14, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most components are pretty tough and won't damage unless handled or store really improperly.

Protecting CPU pins are what I worry about the most. I store all my CPUs in individual anti-static bags (labelled) either in a protective case or with anti-static foam protecting the pins. I also have a few 3D printed CPU cases. CPUs are then stored side-by-side (not stacked) in a small plastic bin.

CPU bags.jpg
Filename
CPU bags.jpg
File size
355.49 KiB
Views
File license

RAM is one of the few things I don't generally use anti-static bags for, instead just storing inside individual plastic organizers.

RAM storage.jpg
Filename
RAM storage.jpg
File size
454.37 KiB
Views
File license

Cards I typically try to stack side-by-side in plastic bins and anti-static bags. But even stacked on top of each other, the risk of damage is quite minimal. The anti-static bags help prevent components from snagging on each other, which is where damage is more likely to occur.

Sound Card bin.jpg
Filename
Sound Card bin.jpg
File size
523.21 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 9 of 14, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mainboard are in antistatic bags standing vertically in a plastic box. Most ATX in one big, AT boards in a smaller box. Graphics cards in the same way in another big but less tall box. I don't have the storage space to pack every board in its own card-board box.
Everything else looks similar to Shponglefan's pictures. Even the CPUs are in a similar plastic box but with a layer of soft foam (don't know how that's called) between each layer of CPUs. And then I have several moving boxes full of stuff that is in its original packaging.
But that's the easy stuff. The real space eaters are home computers, CRTs and big box games

Reply 10 of 14, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use clear plastic bins that I label accordingly. As I accumulate more specific items, I separate things into more specialized bins.

You're using plastic bins, but what about static electricity? From my experience those plastic bins sometimes act like electric shockers when you touch them.

Reply 11 of 14, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-08-05, 05:31:

You're using plastic bins, but what about static electricity? From my experience those plastic bins sometimes act like electric shockers when you touch them.

I keep components in anti-static bags within the bins.

Attachments

• Sound Card bin.jpg
    Filename
    Sound Card bin.jpg
    File size
    523.21 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 12 of 14, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-05, 14:46:

I see. Plenty of antistatic bags I see. 🙂

Reply 13 of 14, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-05, 14:46:

One addition I'd like to make - if the goal is to *block* static, then metallized shielding bags are needed (as in the photo). The cheaper pink "antistatic" bags don't block static. They're only called "antistatic" because they don't create static themselves.

Reply 14 of 14, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some time ago i noticed that my local supermarket always gets vegetables in the same super sturdy and stackable boxes. There are even different sizes...
I asked if could get some of them from time to time, and they were glad somebody wanted the trash...
Now if i need new boxes i just go there and grab a stack of those... Its not only great to not have to buy new plastic boxes, i even keep waste out of landfills...
And just today i got myself a new stack of the smaller ones. Perfect for cards, ram, and general "stuff"...
And its free... nothing can beat free...

2023-08-10 21.39.43.jpg
Filename
2023-08-10 21.39.43.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2023-08-11 15.00.07.jpg
Filename
2023-08-11 15.00.07.jpg
File size