VOGONS

Reply 40 of 65, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you find something super cheap then of course it makes sense to just grab it and figure out the details later. But as the price increases, you'll obviously start to be more selective about what you really want.
I disagree with the notion that boards are so hard to find that someone should just buy the first thing they see. You still have choices, and every week you'll find different things for sale.

I agree that price and availability are major criteria when shopping for anything. But we can't evaluate those things here because nobody knows what you will find at a given time and place.
Only the buyer can weigh the price of whatever they find against how well they think it will suit them. But to do that, they need to have information to base their decision on.

The only useful thing we can do here is discuss how well different boards might suit your needs. Reliability of the capacitors is one of the criteria that could factor into this, just like picking a favorite chipset or anything else.
How much weight to put on the quality of the capacitors depends how comfortable you are with replacing them. If you will be collecting other motherboards or old electronics of any kind, it's valuable to gain this skill. But if you'd rather avoid the issue, then it pays to know which boards are less likely to be affected by it.

HanSolo wrote on 2023-08-09, 10:26:

The capacitor plague affected capacitors produced in the years from 1999 on. Many Slot 1 boards are older and many companies were affected. Abit was only more prominent in the media. And they went out of business because of shady management practices. At least that's my knowledge about that part of history 😀
Now it all doesn't really matter because any 25 year old board can have bad caps."

The problem of bad caps in the P3 era is widespread, but it's not so generic as to treat all brands as the same. Some brands had much less exposure to it because they were more conservative about who they bought their parts from. Among those that took a chance, ABit was especially unlucky.
I doubt you could find a single ABit 440BX board that doesn't have bad caps. They seemed to have a deal with a single cap supplier (Jackcon) which turned out to be among the most guaranteed to fail caps ever made. Most other brands at least had a lottery, where you might get a 2nd tier brand cap that held up.

I doubt you could find a single Intel slot-1 board with bad caps. They're obnoxiously large, conservative, older series caps that were already known reliable at the time.
Most other brands lie between those extremes.
It would be very hard to find an Asus 440BX with bad caps either. They used more modern series than Intel, but they were from the top tier manufacturers and have all proven to be good.
All these capacitors are old now, but age has not neutralized the issue. Quality caps are still far less likely to be faulty, even today.

Asus isn't perfect. Their P2L97 (440LX) was probably the most famous example of boards that used an onboard 3.3V regulator that couldn't supply the amount of current that AGP standards required.
But by the time of 440BX that issue was resolved for most brands, it's mostly just a 440LX era problem. The P2L97 also has cheap caps on it, surprisingly, but they aren't commonly known to fail. It seems Asus switched to quality caps at exactly the right time.

Capacitors are not the only factor to consider, but if you hope to avoid messing with them then their quality shouldn't be ignored. You might also put weight on the slot configuration, or tweaking options, or what CPUs it can run.

To put it another way - if you find an ABit, an EpoX, and an Asus for similar prices, you can either have reasons to prefer one over the other, or you can just be guessing. 😀

Reply 41 of 65, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bloodem wrote on 2023-08-09, 08:23:

Interesting... I would say that you were either very unlucky, or one or more of the components you used during your tests did not support the out-of-spec frequency.

A long time ago I was selling a lot of 440BX boards, and I tested many of them for 133FSB.
Most of the test notes I found were from Asus P2B and P3B boards, but I only tested this on the boards that could run a Coppermine.
In a quick look through the list I see 17/23 Coppermine 440BX boards I tested at 133FSB were good for it. I was being very strict, though, in what I considered a "pass". Some of the fails might have passed with less RAM installed, and arguably those could count since 440BX specs don't actually claim to support more than 512MB of unbuffered memory. I was using 768MB-1GB (depending what the board allowed).

The CPUs I used for this were either a P3-600EB, or a P3-600E that I knew could run 840/140 on a good board.
Neither is an ideal test. The P3-600EB doesn't stress the VRM enough, so it might show a pass on a board that would have failed at something like 1000/133.
The overclocked P3-600E @ 800/133 might not be as tolerant as a "real" 800EB would be, so if that's the case then it could increase the number of fails.

The RAM was 3-4x 256MB Micron modules with PC133 CL2 rated chips on them (-7E).

Reply 42 of 65, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote on 2023-08-10, 00:33:

I doubt you could find a single ABit 440BX board that doesn't have bad caps. They seemed to have a deal with a single cap supplier (Jackcon) which turned out to be among the most guaranteed to fail caps ever made. Most other brands at least had a lottery, where you might get a 2nd tier brand cap that held up.

My two Abit BH6 both worked last time I tested them (last year or so). But as I already said: many Slot 1 boards (like the BH6) are from an earlier year than the production of the low quality caps started. That was my actual point about 440BX Slot 1 boards.
The caps of a later Abit board (KT7A, Socket A) exploded on me 😀

From the wikipedia article: "Most of the affected capacitors were produced from 1999 to 2003 and failed between 2002 and 2005"
And there is also the reason why Abit is always mentioned in that context: "ABIT Computer Corp. was the only affected manufacturer that publicly admitted to defective capacitors obtained from Taiwan capacitor makers being used in its products"

Reply 43 of 65, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@all It is really nice to see that my thread turned into a very interesting discussion. 😀.

@shamino I think you are right caps are not the only factor to consider to chose a nice mainboard but they are quite a important one. My pal hopes to get lucky with his upcoming rig like I did with my asus p2b system. With luck we that the system just works with just small adjustments and tinkering.

So getting a board that is known just to work even today with only small problems is important to him. Problems can never be be excluded with such hardeware of course.

But that's just a beginner problem. In the long run the basic skills to change the caps should be aquired anyway for maintance reasons alone.

The search of my buddy reaches the finishing line btw. We found 3 potential motherboards from local sellers that might be worth a purchase

Chaintech 6BTA3-E100N

Siemens W26361-W10-X-02

Legend QDI P6I440BX/B1S/2000 BrillianX-1S

He is know going to study footage of motherboards with good and caps to figure out how I good mainboard looks compared to a bad one and then he is going to visit the sellers to check out the boards in person.

Which of the above mentioned boards you pros would pick if you ha to chose regardless of the condition of the caps?

Reply 44 of 65, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
theiceman085 wrote on 2023-08-10, 06:56:

Siemens W26361-W10-X-02

Its ZX chipset, and its low-end - only 512M RAM, just 100Mhz FSB

PS. Siemens & Intel hasn't capability of 133 FSB and Cu-mine & Tualatin.
http://web.archive.org/web/20010612063045/htt … ed_cpu_bxzx.pdf
Because officially BX does not support 133FSB and Copermine.
Well, BIOS from AMI is a very little modifiable for their implementation, it seems.
I myself had no business with AMI in those years, alas.

The right Fujitsu Siemens Scenic board is D1219
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/siemens-nixdorf-d1219
Only the variants A32 and C32 of the D1219 support the tualatin processors.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 45 of 65, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Win98 system runs all the games fast enough and without any issues. At least with the games I‘m playing 🙂.
I have a P3B-F with PIII-600B, a Voodoo5 AGP and a SB Live!

Reply 46 of 65, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-08-10, 08:34:
Its ZX chipset, and its low-end - only 512M RAM, just 100Mhz FSB […]
Show full quote
theiceman085 wrote on 2023-08-10, 06:56:

Siemens W26361-W10-X-02

Its ZX chipset, and its low-end - only 512M RAM, just 100Mhz FSB

PS. Siemens & Intel hasn't capability of 133 FSB and Cu-mine & Tualatin.
http://web.archive.org/web/20010612063045/htt … ed_cpu_bxzx.pdf
Because officially BX does not support 133FSB and Copermine.
Well, BIOS from AMI is a very little modifiable for their implementation, it seems.
I myself had no business with AMI in those years, alas.

The right Fujitsu Siemens Scenic board is D1219
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/siemens-nixdorf-d1219
Only the variants A32 and C32 of the D1219 support the tualatin processors.

That's good to know. Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.

Kouwes wrote on 2023-08-10, 11:20:

My Win98 system runs all the games fast enough and without any issues. At least with the games I‘m playing 🙂.
I have a P3B-F with PIII-600B, a Voodoo5 AGP and a SB Live!

Thanks for your answer as well. Sounds like a good system. And you were even lucky enough to get Voodoo 5 which is really cool

Reply 47 of 65, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2023-08-10, 03:10:
My two Abit BH6 both worked last time I tested them (last year or so). But as I already said: many Slot 1 boards (like the BH6) […]
Show full quote
shamino wrote on 2023-08-10, 00:33:

My two Abit BH6 both worked last time I tested them (last year or so). But as I already said: many Slot 1 boards (like the BH6) are from an earlier year than the production of the low quality caps started. That was my actual point about 440BX Slot 1 boards.
The caps of a later Abit board (KT7A, Socket A) exploded on me 😀

From the wikipedia article: "Most of the affected capacitors were produced from 1999 to 2003 and failed between 2002 and 2005"
And there is also the reason why Abit is always mentioned in that context: "ABIT Computer Corp. was the only affected manufacturer that publicly admitted to defective capacitors obtained from Taiwan capacitor makers being used in its products"

+1 for BH6 ... 440BX mobo with only one jumper (clr cmos). Also got 2 with original caps. I would certainly add Epox and DFI to the "bad caps" bunch.

I'm not sure about 440BX vs i815 perforrnace claims, so 133MHz FSB didn't matter? I mean there were also other improvements like AGP 4x and SATA66. GeForce3/4 should have benefited. Anyways, seen the benches. Not sure what to think.

Reply 48 of 65, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stef80 wrote on 2023-08-10, 13:39:

I'm not sure about 440BX vs i815 perforrnace claims, so 133MHz FSB didn't matter? I mean there were also other improvements like AGP 4x and SATA66. GeForce3/4 should have benefited. Anyways, seen the benches. Not sure what to think.

133FSB certainly matters, but the 440BX can also frequently/usually run at that speed, and it's faster when at the same clock. So the i815 doesn't have a speed advantage if an overclocked 440BX is an option.
I doubt there's much difference between AGP 2X and 4X with a P3 and those cards. Especially in this scenario with an overclocked BX which will run the AGP at 89MHz, so it's faster than standard AGP 2X would be. The introduction of faster bus speeds for video cards has almost always been way ahead of when it was actually useful.
Geforce3/4 are a good choice for overclocked BX because it seems they all work fine at 89MHz AGP 2X.

There are other differences, but I think the i815 is generally more enticing to people who don't want to overclock, and the 440BX more to people who do.

Reply 49 of 65, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote on 2023-08-16, 04:53:

[...]

There are other differences, but I think the i815 is generally more enticing to people who don't want to overclock, and the 440BX more to people who do.

Indeed - when the question is 'most stable platform', something that requires overclocking to meet the basic CPU spec isn't the first thing that comes to mind. For pure stability, if you do want 133MHz FSB and you don't need ISA or >512MB RAM, i815 is the better match.

Of course the i815 could also be overclocked and if into that sort of stuff, could significantly outperform the BX. I recall people getting 166MHz FSB speeds if lucky with CPU, board and RAM. But that's a whole different topic 😉

Reply 50 of 65, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i815 can achieve 200+. 160-166 is mostly 440BX and VIA chipsets.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 51 of 65, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can understand that most enthusiasts want to eek out most of the power of a platform and therefore recommend the BX chipset versus the VIA.
But if understand it right, the OP asks for a stable and affordable platform in the pentium III 450-600 MHz range.
In my experience for this scenario a VIA Apollo 133A is also a viable option.
They might be a bit slower clock by clock versus a BX system, but you can get compensate for this by just taking a slightly higher clocked socket 370 pentium III, which are still dirt cheap to get (i have heaps lying here and collecting dust) and you can run 133 MHz FSB without even overclocking.
If you happen to have a VIA board with the 686B southbridge, you can avoid the corner case with the problematic IDE controller by adding a separate controller card and deactivate the onboard one.

This is not saying that this solution is better than a BX based board, but is is still another possible solution for an affordable price, which might fit the demands of the OP.

Reply 52 of 65, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can pick "The Nuclear Option" and grab a motherboard with ServerWorks chipset. Can't get any more stable than that.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 53 of 65, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skorbin wrote on 2023-08-16, 11:50:

I can understand that most enthusiasts want to eek out most of the power of a platform and therefore recommend the BX chipset versus the VIA.

There is no such thing as a "VIA chipset motherboard".
Due to the strong bios-dependence of the stability and performance of VIA`s chipsets for S370.
You may come across a motherboard that will be no worse than BX.
You might get motherboard that makes you curse the day you bought it.
For VIA chipsets for socket 370, only certain boards can be discussed.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 54 of 65, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-08-16, 14:25:
There is no such thing as a "VIA chipset motherboard". Due to the strong bios-dependence of the stability and performance of VIA […]
Show full quote

Due to the strong bios-dependence of the stability and performance of VIA`s chipsets for S370.

I was referring more to the fact that VIA chipset are considered slower than BX in general.
Of course there is also the individual implementation of the manufacturer.
But this also applies to BX boards: there are some, which are also divas or just are badly manufactured.

My intention was to make the OP aware that he should be open minded when it comes to choosing the board.
Otherwise he might limit himself from boards which might actually fit his bill.

Reply 55 of 65, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skorbin wrote on 2023-08-17, 06:27:
I was referring more to the fact that VIA chipset are considered slower than BX in general. Of course there is also the individu […]
Show full quote
shevalier wrote on 2023-08-16, 14:25:
There is no such thing as a "VIA chipset motherboard". Due to the strong bios-dependence of the stability and performance of VIA […]
Show full quote

I was referring more to the fact that VIA chipset are considered slower than BX in general.
Of course there is also the individual implementation of the manufacturer.
But this also applies to BX boards: there are some, which are also divas or just are badly manufactured.

My intention was to make the OP aware that he should be open minded when it comes to choosing the board.
Otherwise he might limit himself from boards which might actually fit his bill.

Thanks a lot for your recommendation. I think you are right. Being open minded to finding the right parts is a very important to find proper retro hardware. The amount of available hardware is limited anyway so the focus should be as broad as possible to find the proper parts.

We will include via chipsets in our seach as well. Thanks for the advice.

Reply 56 of 65, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skorbin wrote on 2023-08-17, 06:27:

Good implementation lags behind by 5 percent, maximum 10.
Bad - three times.
It is at times and not at a percentage.
You can get the speed of working with memory at 133FSB at the level of Pentium MMX with EDO RAM.
I personally went through this on my first motherboard on the Via Appolo 133A

Reply 57 of 65, by Skorbin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it is not a big deal to put a mainboard name into the search engine of your choice and check for unusual high amount of complaints.
You also might ask on forum like Vogons here or DosReloaded for experiences with certain boards.
Chances are high that there are people owning such board and can give you a heads-up on the typical properties and quirks.

Reply 58 of 65, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For i815, I'd say Intel Desktop Board 😀. Totally non-overclockable but usually high quality Japanese caps and decent build quality. Some of them came with integrated Creative sound chips.
For slot-1, I'd say Asus is trouble-free in most cases. Abit had BH-6 that was not affected by capacitor plague. AOpen boards were also OK in that regard.

Reply 59 of 65, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stef80 wrote on 2023-08-17, 11:34:

For i815, I'd say Intel Desktop Board 😀. Totally non-overclockable but usually high quality Japanese caps and decent build quality. Some of them came with integrated Creative sound chips.
For slot-1, I'd say Asus is trouble-free in most cases. Abit had BH-6 that was not affected by capacitor plague. AOpen boards were also OK in that regard.

That's a good point. For compatibility, often it's not the chipset, it's the OEM.

Those Intel reference boards were the standard. They don't have all the features, but didn't cut corners on the components, usually have a very clean, well spaced layout, and every addin card manufacturer tested with them.

The 440BX board that I mentioned earlier in the thread was an Intel reference board in a Gateway E-4200. Total boring board, but no exciting incompatibilities either and still stable 25 years later.