VOGONS

First post, by gryffinwings

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So after replacing the PSU in this old beast, the computer POSTed and started trying to boot, but shortly after, the old Quantum Bigfoot TX 8 GB died, but from my research, I'm not sure if it is completely dead, it seemed to be running pretty ok, so I think the logic board must have died, as the only thing I see is a steady green light on the logic board. I thought the sound that this thing made is pretty awesome, and I am contemplating putting in another Quantum Bigfoot in there, were there models that were better than others in terms of reliability. Thoughts?

Main Computer: Custom - Intel 12900K, Asus Nvidia 3080 Ti, 64 GB DDR5.
Retro Computer: Packard Bell Legend I - AMD 286, 640KB RAM
Retro Computer: Dell Dimension 4400 - Pentium 4 2.8 GHz FSB 400 MHz, ATi Radeon 9600XT, Sound Blaster Live!, 768 MB RAM.

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would not replace with another Bigfoot (they were 3600 or 4000 rpm slow). Get a similar sized 8GB 3.5" IDE (5400 rpm) and use a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter to mount the new drive in same spot.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2023-08-08, 02:39:

I would not replace with another Bigfoot (they were 3600 or 4000 rpm slow). Get a similar sized 8GB 3.5" IDE (5400 rpm) and use a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter to mount the new drive in same spot.....

I wholeheartedly agree.

They were slow and already relatively unreliable, even when they were new .

Reply 3 of 3, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far as I know, the TX and TS models were the most reliable of the Bigfoot series, coming out after the generally less reliable original Bigfoot and Bigfoot CY drives.
I'd say get a Bigfoot TX or TS if you can find one for a decent price, if you like those drives and would like one again, even if it's not the best choice even for the era.

Of course there are more reliable choices for old hard drives, but then consider that all era appropriate drives are gettin' seriously old and cranky.
Having the era appropriate spinning rust is fun, but they're definitely one of the first components to go bad in retro rigs.

sUd4xjs.gif