VOGONS

First post, by Mitsuke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will be traveling to Japan for work soon. I'm curious if anyone has been to shops that sell retro computer hardware there. I'm not referring to video game stores like Super Potato, but rather stores that offer vintage PC hardware and perhaps software.

Has anyone who visited Japan gone to such a store?

Reply 1 of 8, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of the interesting stuff is in the little shops in the bizarre. All the glass fronted shops with the bright lights sell new hardware.
Prices aint to good, they are struggling with economic deflation which makes the prices of certain things very low while other things so high its not worth it at all.
Depending on where you end up your better off with a guide.

Reply 2 of 8, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite computer store there was JunkWorld (.jp) but they deal with products that would be sellable to a common person, ie C2D and better - although just like my favorite-ish local computer store, if you go throughly through their website, you can find their inventory of BNC network gear and CD-Rs at full 1999 retail price 😜

Yeah, minority shops in Akihabara (= no large signs) or the usual auction/classified sites would probably be more efficient, especially considering there's a tax AND a hassle (public trash service won't touch them) on throwing away PCs, TVs, fridges, and another thing I don't remember - but for computers there are private ewaste companies that will take them free, of course for flipping or for gold...

Reply 3 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't imagine normal PC stuff would be much better there.

On the other hand, it's bound to be a better place for their own native PC-88 and PC-98 equipment.

Of course, all the normal 'hot' stuff like X68000, FM Towns and the like is mostly now priced as rare and isn't cheap anywhere. NEC PC stuff doesn't appear to have got to that point yet.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 8, by iyatemu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're not gonna find a lot of 90s IBM stuff in Japan. It's almost all gonna be PC-x8 with a healthy sprinkling of MSX and X68000. Very little for AT and XT.

if JPC stuff is what you're actually after (or seems interesting enough to start getting into) BEEP! is a great place to look. Huge selection of everything, both rare and common.

Reply 6 of 8, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are a bit late to the party sadly. Prices are high across the board, console, dos pc, pc98 etc

Used to be BOOK-OFF, HARD-OFF, JUNK-OFF, HOBBY-OFF can have some real goodies but definitely not near central Tokyo.

I was there 1 month ago and saw tourists rushing to anywhere famous for retro stuff and looking very disappointed.

I remember being amazed at some of the great stuff available back in 2014/2015 but that boat has sailed unless you go to a much more remote location.

Yahoo auctions/mercari delivered to your hotel might be an option if you plan to stay a while.

If you are into electronics I recommend the Akhibara Radio department stores for a browse though. This is one of the entrances:

_20230812_175135.JPG
Filename
_20230812_175135.JPG
File size
591.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And inside they did have a tiny computer junk ジャンク shop. I took this photo to show how well known the retro value of (Dos) PC components are. Considering how tightly packed those shops are, taking up half the shop floor was this display (not for sale) and next to lots of stuff from the core duo era that was for sale...

_20230812_175056.JPG
Filename
_20230812_175056.JPG
File size
675.05 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Cool catalogue that might interest people, no idea if it's still going

_20230812_184539.JPG
Filename
_20230812_184539.JPG
File size
837.08 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 8, by Mitsuke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I'm back from Japan. I'm posting this in case anyone else is going and wondering where to buy retro stuff. I had a LOT of spare time; I was there for 2 months, so I visited many stores.

- Hard Off: Hard-Off barely has anything related to computers that is worth buying. Forget about Hard-Off in Akihabara; they have nothing. I was able to find two Radeon 9600s in Kichioji. Some Hard-Offs do have, however, boxed games. I saw a couple of SimCity and The Sims (in Japanese, of course).

- Akihabara (in general): Nothing but old notebooks and some peripherals.

- Nakano Broadway: There is a computer shop there, but there is nothing retro.

- BEEP Akihabara: This place is small but has a couple of retro computers (mostly Japanese 486s and stuff like that). I saw a boxed version of Windows 95 and Windows 2000. This is the only place where I was able to find boxed retro software.

I couldn't find much, but I still got a nice PS1 in mint condition and a couple of games. Things are getting pricey, though!