VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have got an 486 machine with a cyrix processor in it.

My source HDD is a Seagate ST 3491A 428MB which iam not sure of if it will die in a few months or not. Sometime make clunky noise.. (could maybe a bad config drive issue)

Want to make an 1:1 copy of it.

Target drive is an Seagate ST31276a CABO drive 1275MB

I have only this tool available:

DOS operating system (iam guessing its 6.0 - 6.22)
Norton commander version 5.5

How can i get everything over. (Knowing how to setup drives Master and slave )

Yes i need to have an compact flash adapter for easier transfer. But dont have that right now.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 11, by ChrisXF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you have both drives installed, format the new one with /s to transfer the system, then use:

xcopy c:\ {newdriveletter}:\ /s /e /h /i /c /y

That should copy all the files and subdirectories (including any empty subdirectories, any system or hidden files) from drive C to drive (whatever).

I think that should do it?

Reply 3 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i didnt SYS the target drive. But its only fdisk and formatted..

Its saying that /h is an invalid switch.

Working with MS-dos 5.0 boot disk.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 11, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to get everything, including the MBR and partition tables etc. for a full backup, hook up both drives to a Unix/BSD/Linux system:

dd if=/dev/wd0c of=/dev/wd1c

The disk names are OS dependent and may be "sd1" etc. on Linux.

This way you can clone the entire disk. I'm an OpenBSD fan, so `wd` disks are IDE, `sd` disks are SATA/SCSI. IMO it makes more sense, but we're the minority.

Reply 5 of 11, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UNIX / BSD / Linux isnt an option for now.. Iam on the 486 system.. Not on a modern pc.

It should work with Xcopy.. or other software running under dos.

Reply 6 of 11, by ChrisXF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robin4 wrote on 2023-08-09, 01:08:

i didnt SYS the target drive. But its only fdisk and formatted..

Its saying that /h is an invalid switch.

Working with MS-dos 5.0 boot disk.

You'll have to sys the target drive if you want to boot from it, which you'll probably need to when your primary drive dies: once you've copied it all I'd swap them over right away.

/h and /I I think probably is an invalid switch for xcopy in DOS 5, it's potato DOS. Can you boot a later version? Ideally 6.22. (edit: actually turns out you'll need a windows ME dos boot disk for that /h option.) Can you create floppies from an image? If so: https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-wind … ws-boot-disk/me

If you want to actually image the drive but not use Linux, you can probably find a version of Symantec Ghost and use that - but I'd keep it simple and stick with the xcopy.

Reply 7 of 11, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fortunately DOS is a rather polite OS - you just partition/format the target drive, sys it if you didn't format it with the /s switch, run a "fdisk 2 /mbr" which I never had to back in the days yet I do a lot lately. Then you can simply copy over all the files, using the very NC you mentioned. Given it's set to see hidden/system files (can it be configured otherwise? I dunno, I've been using Volkov Commander since my HDD-less XT days when it was small and snappy while NC was big and painfully sluggish) it will just work and have everything just the like the old drive.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 8 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a file-based transfer from one HDD to another, my father used to use PC-Backup/PC-Restore R4 as part of Central Point PC Tools. He used floppies to make a backup, replaced the HDD, restored the backup.
Another program was Sytos, along with an SCSI streamer (QIC).

On a Pentium 166 w/ 64MB of RAM, Acronis True Image 7 to 9 may run (DOS-based rescue medium, floppy set or CD).
It can do an 1:1 sector-based image, as well.

Edit: Norton Commander v3 and earlier was quite small, I remember. It did fit on a bootable DOS diskette and was written in ASM.
NC 1.x and 2 had NCMALL utility to lower RAM usage, too, I remember.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used Microhouse Ez-Copy from DrivePro and DiskCopy from Powerquest in the past to clone HD's under DOS, worked very well. If the Xcopy does not work and you want to find them (and bunch otherold HD's utils just search archive org here: https://archive.org/details/old-hd-utils
edit: oops was a bad link....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 11, by st31276a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would hook it to a ide/usb bridge and dd the drive on linux. That way you can keep a backup image of it around.

By the way, an st31276a is a good drive 😀