VOGONS

First post, by AmbassadorCosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't see a max output on the sticker. I see resellers online listing it as "90w" but that is the +5V +3.3V.

The model # starts with 150..is it safe to assume 150w?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a 150W PSU that is rated for max 90W on 5V and 3V3 combined. Pretty bog standard for early AT systems.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 6, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

90w 5v+3.3v is really nothing special and the 12v doesn't have much oomph either, I'd avoiding using it if you can. Hipros are not known for be especially reliable and it'll probably let out the magic smoke sooner rather than later. If it's all you have, I'd highly recommended testing the rails to see if they're still within spec with a multimeter, and doing so periodically.

Reply 3 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be enough to power up average Pentium MMX system or older, but not much more.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! Good for a test/bench PSU for low end ATX boards if all voltages are within spec but only with minimal components.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 6, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NTG2001 wrote on 2023-08-15, 22:36:

Hipros are not known for be especially reliable and it'll probably let out the magic smoke sooner rather than later.

The big problems with Hipro are cheap caps (not always a problem - even Su'scon caps last a long time in them) and lacking protections. I've never had one blow up under normal conditions, but they can be massively overloaded until they blow up instead of safely shutting down. I've also seen them smoke hardware where something shorted. They tend to be overbuilt to compensate.

I think it's fine for socket 7 or the low-power slot 1 CPUs.