VOGONS

First post, by x73rmin8r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an HP T5740 I'm running DOS 6.22 on that has BIOS level USB support where USB keyboards, mice (with ctmouse), floppy drives, and flash drives (formatted to FAT16, interpreted as second hard drive) "just work" in DOS. I'd like to get an external CD drive working, but am not having any success. The one I have is a Rioddas BT638.

How should I be thinking this problem through? I've read through some guides on getting USB CD drives to work in DOS, but they're for older systems where the USB interface needs to be set up in DOS as well. Should I assume that the USB part of the problem is being taken care of by the BIOS (and not try and load any DOS USB drivers) and just work on trying different DOS CD software? Are there differences in drives that make them either compatible or not with DOS?

I've tried Freedos that automatically loads in all the necessary CD drivers to get a normal IDE drive to work, and I think it has its own USB support as well, but it didn't recognize it. I would have thought that Freedos would have loaded some modern hyper-compatible CD driver and it'd be fine.

Anybody have any experience doing this or have any info you could point me toward about how to figure this out?

EDIT:

tried using Philscomputerlab's CD drivers VIDECDD.SYS, with DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL and LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL in the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. No Dice.

Reply 1 of 4, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Duse and or usbcd.sys

https://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

The cdrom interface is kind of an attache' in dos ecosystems, and always requires a driver.

Bios level usb support either emulates a ps2 mouse controller, or hooks in13 interface. It does not emulate ide controller. This is why vide.sys doesnt work.

The dos usb cdrom drivers use the scsi aspi interface spec, and present usb hid devices as scsi luns.

Reply 2 of 4, by x73rmin8r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wierd_w wrote on 2023-08-16, 01:22:
Duse and or usbcd.sys […]
Show full quote

Duse and or usbcd.sys

https://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

The cdrom interface is kind of an attache' in dos ecosystems, and always requires a driver.

Bios level usb support either emulates a ps2 mouse controller, or hooks in13 interface. It does not emulate ide controller. This is why vide.sys doesnt work.

The dos usb cdrom drivers use the scsi aspi interface spec, and present usb hid devices as scsi luns.

Appreciate the info! I didn't have any luck unfortunately. I tried this guy's Method 1 and 2 using DUSE and usbaspi/usbcd. He had several versions of the files and I tried all the combinations, sometimes it seemed to load everything correctly and just not detect the drive, sometimes it would freeze on boot. Might just not be meant to be, at least not with my drive and or PC. FAKECD seems to be working for a couple of the games I tried. Not the most elegant solution, but I think I'm done throwing random drivers against the wall to see if any stick.

Reply 3 of 4, by oso2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You’re not going to automatically have access to a USB cd drive in DOS even if the BIOS has good support. DOS is limited in that way. Like weird_w said, you’d need to find a DOS that supports your USB drive, usb ide/scsi adapter, etc.

I have several HP t5745 myself. From the BIOS, you can expect to boot a bootable CD-ROM disk. Everything else is handled by an OS, wrt USB Optical support. Generally what I’ve read people have success with usb on DOS the drivers or DOS requires the disk/drive to be inserted on driver loading/DOS boot and changing the disk/drive requires a reboot. Maybe try different usb drivers, usb adapters, or cd drives.

The Rioddas BT638 looks like a really new drive and is likely SATA internally which is likely the issue. Find an ide cd/dvd drive and ide usb adapter.

This page recommends a couple other drivers I’ve seen used. https://modelrail.otenko.com/retro/dos-usb-cd … rives-of-course