VOGONS

First post, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, just got a 166 mmx scoket 7 computer up and running with Windows 95.

I had these two "scrap" cards in my old retro collection in my garage and thought they could be used as my guess is they are from around this era.

Ethernet PCI card:

20230819_231100.jpg
Filename
20230819_231100.jpg
File size
276.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20230819_231112.jpg
Filename
20230819_231112.jpg
File size
212.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

USB PCI card:

20230819_231141.jpg
Filename
20230819_231141.jpg
File size
242.71 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20230819_231146.jpg
Filename
20230819_231146.jpg
File size
151.16 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

How can I go about try and find drivers for Windows 95 for these? Would it be possible?

Reply 1 of 17, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the DFE-530TX try here: https://support.dlink.com/resource/products/DFE-530TX/REVA/

Win95 USB support is only with version "C" and only after installing the USB support package and even then is extremely primitive. What are you hoping to do with the USB card? Adding a card won't add USB keyboard/mouse support in DOS/BIOS. Are you going for USB flash drives I guess?

Reply 3 of 17, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-08-19, 21:45:

Is there a specific reason you chose Windows 95?
Windows 98 SE is basically the same but more polished with better USB support and so on...

To be fair I run 95C w/o Active Desktop on my own Pentium 166 and just don't bother with USB at all.

Reply 4 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
claesbas wrote on 2023-08-19, 21:31:
Hi, just got a 166 mmx scoket 7 computer up and running with Windows 95. […]
Show full quote

Hi, just got a 166 mmx scoket 7 computer up and running with Windows 95.

I had these two "scrap" cards in my old retro collection in my garage and thought they could be used as my guess is they are from around this era.

Ethernet PCI card:

20230819_231100.jpg
20230819_231112.jpg

USB PCI card:

20230819_231141.jpg
20230819_231146.jpg

How can I go about try and find drivers for Windows 95 for these? Would it be possible?

This looks like the only 9x driver package (95 OSR2 & 98FE) that Winic issued for the W-670

Filename
filter.zip
File size
13.92 KiB
Downloads
33 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 17, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-08-19, 21:40:

For the DFE-530TX try here: https://support.dlink.com/resource/products/DFE-530TX/REVA/

Win95 USB support is only with version "C" and only after installing the USB support package and even then is extremely primitive. What are you hoping to do with the USB card? Adding a card won't add USB keyboard/mouse support in DOS/BIOS. Are you going for USB flash drives I guess?

I installed that OSR 2.5 version (I guess its latest and should be possible with USB?) .

I have keyboard working but no mouse in Windows. I only have that old DIN port - no PS/2 port at all. So I am not sure how to get my mouse going. Was hoping USB could work via this PCI card?

It also could be nice to move some files via USB-stick even though slow.

DerBaum wrote on 2023-08-19, 21:45:

Is there a specific reason you chose Windows 95?
Windows 98 SE is basically the same but more polished with better USB support and so on...

Was thinking 95 would be more lightweight for a 166 mmx machine. Maybe better compatibility too? I have a PIII tulatin with Windows 98 and 2000 and thought this would be more era-correct etc.

Reply 6 of 17, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
claesbas wrote on 2023-08-19, 22:31:

I have keyboard working but no mouse in Windows. I only have that old DIN port - no PS/2 port at all. So I am not sure how to get my mouse going. Was hoping USB could work via this PCI card?

It also could be nice to move some files via USB-stick even though slow.

A socket 7 motherboard likely has pins near the keyboard port for connecting an external PS/2 mouse port on a slot bracket. If you go that route, be aware that you usually have to move wires around to match the pinout of your motherboard as they were not standard. Lacking that, people would have used a serial mouse but most are unwilling to do that now since they are all ball mice or an old-school optical that uses a special mouse pad.

Yeah, perhaps USB will get your mouse going now that someone found the driver.

claesbas wrote on 2023-08-19, 22:31:

Was thinking 95 would be more lightweight for a 166 mmx machine. Maybe better compatibility too? I have a PIII tulatin with Windows 98 and 2000 and thought this would be more era-correct etc.

Nice, makes sense if you already have a Win98 machine. To me Win95 has leaner interface/fewer default settings to revert 😁 (I don't like gradient titlebars, don't like animated menus popping around and such, etc.) and better sounds before they messed with them in 98. And it installs so much faster.

Reply 7 of 17, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If there's no PS2 port then you would have been expected to use the 9-pin RS-232C serial (COM1) port - with a suitable mouse of course.

I installed a USB-stick driver for my WIN95B and yes it's primitive but it worked. Didn't try USB keyboard or mouse.

Reply 8 of 17, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks so much everyone here with finding drivers etc. They all seem correct here! However when I try and install these Windows asks me to enter Disk 5 and 6 etc to get files. I have installed from CD so I wonder why it thinks I have the floppy disks of win95 also? and I have tried to located the files it is looking for on the CD but now luck? what am I missing?

Reply 9 of 17, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-08-19, 22:43:

A socket 7 motherboard likely has pins near the keyboard port for connecting an external PS/2 mouse port on a slot bracket. If you go that route, be aware that you usually have to move wires around to match the pinout of your motherboard as they were not standard. Lacking that, people would have used a serial mouse but most are unwilling to do that now since they are all ball mice or an old-school optical that uses a special mouse pad.

Yes, I have one of those! I googled and there was a ASUS bracket as a "extra part" shipped for some. It was like the "plus version" of the motherboard that got that one. But I see the pins yes and probably would be possible to do something there to get that proper PS/2 port. Will see if I look into that - would be nice to have for sure.

Reply 10 of 17, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robbbert wrote on 2023-08-19, 22:47:

If there's no PS2 port then you would have been expected to use the 9-pin RS-232C serial (COM1) port - with a suitable mouse of course.

I installed a USB-stick driver for my WIN95B and yes it's primitive but it worked. Didn't try USB keyboard or mouse.

Ah, yes I remember that now those early mice with that "inverted VGA socket" 😉 (serial) - might not go that path for my mouse. Will first try USB here and then see if I perhaps make that special custom pin connection for a PS/2 port as was suggested

Reply 11 of 17, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
claesbas wrote on 2023-08-19, 22:52:

Thanks so much everyone here with finding drivers etc. They all seem correct here! However when I try and install these Windows asks me to enter Disk 5 and 6 etc to get files. I have installed from CD so I wonder why it thinks I have the floppy disks of win95 also? and I have tried to located the files it is looking for on the CD but now luck? what am I missing?

If you copied the WIN95 from the CD-ROM to the C: drive before installing (always recommended) sometimes it will start referring to disk numbers.

Also, when you install drivers, sometimes Win95 will forget where the drivers are or forget where the Win95 CD is, and you have to give it the path again. It seems to only cache the most recent place where it was looking at an .inf file.

Reply 12 of 17, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-08-19, 23:12:

If you copied the WIN95 from the CD-ROM to the C: drive before installing (always recommended) sometimes it will start referring to disk numbers.

Also, when you install drivers, sometimes Win95 will forget where the drivers are or forget where the Win95 CD is, and you have to give it the path again. It seems to only cache the most recent place where it was looking at an .inf file.

Yes, I see - I will pull extract the win95 iso on my main pc and search for the files there to find the path on the cd.

Thanks again! Enough tinkering for tonight anyway.

Reply 13 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DFI was incredibly confusing with their models back then. The DFE-530 range had at least three competely different chipsets. The original DFE-530CT+ used the DEC 21040 'Tulip' chip, the DFE-530TX+ used the Realtek RTL-8139, but the DFE-530TX (without the +) used the Via Rhine controller. In Linux (where I played around with this card) you use the Via Rhine kernel driver. Possibly in Windows you could also use a Via Rhine driver, if it's available for Win95...

Reply 14 of 17, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-08-19, 23:30:

DFI was incredibly confusing with their models back then. The DFE-530 range had at least three competely different chipsets. The original DFE-530CT+ used the DEC 21040 'Tulip' chip, the DFE-530TX+ used the Realtek RTL-8139, but the DFE-530TX (without the +) used the Via Rhine controller. In Linux (where I played around with this card) you use the Via Rhine kernel driver. Possibly in Windows you could also use a Via Rhine driver, if it's available for Win95...

D-Link actually has directory browsing still enabled on their driver server (https://support.dlink.com/resource/products/DFE-530TX/REVA/) rather than disable it as a security through obscurity measure, so you can back up a directory or two and see what else is on there if the DFE-530TX Rev A (which is what I came up with from the picture) isn't right.

Reply 16 of 17, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
claesbas wrote on 2023-08-20, 13:27:

I've got USB working now - usb-drives work and I can easily move files now. However mouse does not work - tried 3 different kinds. Seems there is no HID drivers for mouse in win95 really.

There is no direct way to use USB mouse with Win95.
Anyway read about this indirect way - Re: Help: DOS USB mouse and Win95 USB Human Interface Device support

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 17 of 17, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

USB and Ethernet is working fine with the exact posted drivers in this thread - incredible knowledgeable and helpful community here at vogons!

The machine is working great - will go ahead and try and solder on a PS/2 socket thing on the PS/2 pins on the ASUS motherboard. I think that is the best way anyway to get proper mouse that works everywhere.

Here she is:

20230820_214049.jpg
Filename
20230820_214049.jpg
File size
236.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

166mmx
voodoo 2
awe 64 gold