VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, that´s quite exactly the type I used - with 6 crosspieces at each angle so the socket won´t get expanded too easily when a chip is inserted.
I also made VERY bad experiences with the conventional PLCC tools when extracting stuck 84-pin chips, so I bought myself one of those - problem solved:

PLCC84_tool.JPG
Filename
PLCC84_tool.JPG
File size
22.36 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 21 of 22, by maksg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2023-10-02, 16:52:

PLCC84_tool.JPG

The Hakko tools are great. I bought PLLC-68 for 286 CPUs right after I destroyed one with a cheap remover. I'm so freaking hate when it happens. Like a knife in the heart.

Another question. Can you suggest a place where to buy/find all those VLSI chips? Seems that I have trouble with my 286 SBC.
I found that website https://www.searchelec.com/product-details/?I … er=VL82C101B-QC
But not sure that this is a real company. I checked the address and google maps says that this is someone's house.
update: they actually responded and confirmed that "No Retail Sales!"

Attachments

Reply 22 of 22, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would suggest buying some VLSI mainboard with heavy VARTA damage on ebay for about $ 40.00 - and you have a complete set of chips for testing.

I did this a couple of times, but ended up repairing all of them - so I still have to borrow chips from my working boards...