VOGONS

First post, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had an awful itch in the back of my head for a few years.
When I was a kid, I got my first free computer. It was some sort of server that I've since tried to ID.
Here's what I can remember:

• Peculiar design, addon-cards didn't exit at the rear, but at the top of the case
  • 400+W(?) power supply (AT) located at the lower front of the case. This had a huge 230VAC fan (I actually still have this somewhere)
  • The case was HUGE, at least for a teenager and weighed a lot
  • 486 CPU
  • IIRC the motherboard had the option to redirect console to a serial port on BIOS-level
  • a couple 5.25" bays in the front

Mind you, I had this somewhere in 1999-2000 so the memory is "a bit vague". The direction of the addon-cards is the one thing that could make it easier to identify

Reply 1 of 9, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

400+ Watt power supply? I'm sorry but the things you mentioned can be part of any brand.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 9, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_compatib … IBM_competitors

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 4 of 9, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a similar for sale here in Finland. Didn't buy it - although I'm tempted.
Product code PS401258B0 or similar (not so good photos)
FCC ID: EJM4865401 or similar (not so good photos)

Reply 5 of 9, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many industrial computers have super weird placement of parts and large power supplies to be on the safe side.

The problem with these is that they sometimes were made locally by local companies and are not very well documented.

I have computers and parts that i have in front of me and i am still not abled to identify them... even with the whole internet on hand.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 6 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oh2ftu wrote on 2023-10-22, 08:50:

I found a similar for sale here in Finland. Didn't buy it - although I'm tempted.

Can you post links for those ? Neither of the codes you list give me any google results.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-22, 09:27:

I have computers and parts that i have in front of me and i am still not abled to identify them... even with the whole internet on hand.

Do you have them described & photographed somewhere?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 9, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2023-10-22, 09:44:
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-22, 09:27:

Do you have them described & photographed somewhere?

Not me. The sellers i got them from did.
Bottom left is an unknown Single board computer i got from a fellow vogonian from sweden (i needed a chip from that). He wrot about it here on vogons but still unidentified.
Bottom right must be some kind of soundcard. My best guess its from a conference system. The seller i got it from already did some research and it ended in nothing.
Top left must be some kind of input card to measure things. it came from an industrial computer from a railway service. I cant find anything about it. Its from Berlin/ germany.
Top right is probably an isolated can bus interface and came from the same system as top left. The term "PC-NET" on the card is so generic it makes it hard to search. i have an idea what it could be and who made it but i need to write the company i think its from to get confirmation.
this link : https://www.hkaco.com/zdh/systec/en_product_pcnet_can.asp is the closest thing i could find for the card top right.

Once you start exploring industrial stuff you will find that informations are extremely rare...

2023-10-22 11.57.28.jpg
Filename
2023-10-22 11.57.28.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 9 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-10-22, 09:42:
oh2ftu wrote on 2023-10-22, 08:50:

Can you post links for those ? Neither of the codes you list give me any google results.

EJM486S401 is one of those 'building block' parts from Intel (pictured), so this tower chassis plus other intel internals of your choice (or not).

EJM486S401.jpg
Filename
EJM486S401.jpg
File size
452.08 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception