VOGONS

First post, by NHVintage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - I feel like this should be somewhere here, but I've been searching and can't find it so I apologize if I missed it elsewhere.

I have the Epson Equity 1+. It appears on review that it will only support 720k drives, not 1.4Mb - and unfortunately the Gotek floppy emulators I have are the 1.4Mb variety. Is it possible to flash some sort of firmware onto the Gotek to change it to a 720k version? Does it actually matter? Is there some other way for these drives to support 720k? Or are there hardware differences? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using FlashFloppy firmware on my standard 1.44 goteks. At least with FlashFloppy, it's purely software that controls what drive it looks like.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 5, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NHVintage wrote on 2023-09-01, 18:00:

Hi - I feel like this should be somewhere here, but I've been searching and can't find it so I apologize if I missed it elsewhere.

I have the Epson Equity 1+. It appears on review that it will only support 720k drives, not 1.4Mb - and unfortunately the Gotek floppy emulators I have are the 1.4Mb variety. Is it possible to flash some sort of firmware onto the Gotek to change it to a 720k version? Does it actually matter? Is there some other way for these drives to support 720k? Or are there hardware differences? Thanks!

I've even loaded 1.2M images on a Gotek and set the BIOS to 5.25" 1.2M drive, and it worked fine.

Reply 4 of 5, by wiibur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the stock firmware is not working for you then maybe the HxC firmware will work (it costs 10€ though).

Edit: Before you do that, did you try formatting your USB with the 720K option from the Batch Manage Tool? That's what I use on stock goteks to format and it has several format options.

Reply 5 of 5, by NHVintage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wound up getting a flashfloppy-preinstalled drive on ebay and it works like a charm (and it's a lot easier just copying img files right onto the usb stick with a modern pc, without any tables or other stuff).