VOGONS

First post, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

is there someone who can tell me how to turn on AGP 4x for my Asus V7700 Ti on Asus TUV4X ?
I have installed drivers for VIA chipset and last drivers for my Asus V7700 Ti (GeForce 2 Ti) but i have always only AGP @2x.
I tried on different OS from Windows 98 to Windows XP
Maybe someone had same problems?

Specs:
- MB: Asus TUV4X
- CPU: Pentium III-S (Tualatin) @1400 Mhz
- RAM: 512 MB ECC SDRAM
- GPU: Asus V7700 Ti Deluxe
- Actual OS: Windows Me

Thank you in advance

-TrueVegas-

Reply 2 of 8, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-09-06, 19:40:

Check in BIOS under Advanced settings -> Chip Configuration, what mode is selected for AGP.

Thank you for the answear! I forgot to write that I set into the BIOS AGP 4x too.

-TrueVegas-

Reply 3 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reinstalling the Via 4 in 1 drivers in Turbo mode should do it. You can likely use Rivatuner to force it on as well.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 8, by TrueVegas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2023-09-06, 22:42:

Nvidia drivers often force 2X on chipsets not made by Intel. On AGP 4x chipsets other than Intel's, 4x is usually unreliable.

I think you are right. I found on asus.com a reg file to enable agp 4x with nVidia GPU but it doesn't work... 🙁
Maybe I have to change the graphics card or the motherboard...

-TrueVegas-

Reply 6 of 8, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrueVegas wrote on 2023-09-07, 12:38:

Nvidia drivers often force 2X on chipsets not made by Intel. On AGP 4x chipsets other than Intel's, 4x is usually unreliable.

I think you are right. I found on asus.com a reg file to enable agp 4x with nVidia GPU but it doesn't work... 🙁

Other cards are likely to do the same thing. ATI has SmartGART which tests your motherboard and will often drop speed on non-Intel AGP 4x boards.

Being at 2X isn't really anything to worry about. The speed difference is minimal with games you will play on a GeForce 2.

If you want more solid AGP you want either an Intel chipset or to go up to AGP 8x motherboards.

Reply 7 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrueVegas wrote on 2023-09-07, 12:38:

Install Rivatuner, force AGP 4x, and test it in benchmarks and games. The difference will be likely almost unnoticeable, but that way you'll know for sure.

Reply 8 of 8, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently picked up a computer with a Tyan S1854 with a P3 450, and spent this morning installing Windows 98SE. The video card is a Quadro 2 Pro, and I used the 45.23 driver. After running 3D Mark 2000 a few times, adjusting the memory and such to get a higher score, I thought I'd try AGP 4x. I set it to 4X in the CMOS settings, then used Riva Tuner to force it to 4x. It very quickly locked up when I ran 3D 2000, so I set it back to off. You never know for sure unless you try.