VOGONS

First post, by andrean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I have acquired an Intel Server Board SE7320SP2 / SE7525GP2 with two Xeon CPUs attached, but no cooler / heatsink came with it. From the specs I gathered this is Socket 604, and by looking on ebay, I found this heatsink https://www.ebay.com/itm/253440198925 which to me at least resembles the holes that I have on my board. There is a sort of backplate below the board that I can see, and is where I believe the screws will attach. I am just wondering if this heatsink is the right one actually, cannot tell if there are multiple versions with different screw mounting positions or not. If anyone knows I'd greatly appreciate any information!

Thanks

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That should fit OK, though I would measure the gap around your sockets as the caps look to be very close to the socket!

Your bigger issue will be fans. Those heatsinks are designed to be installed in highly channeled airflow cases, in 1 or 2U rackmount cases. Channeling air flow from the intake fans across the CPUs and out through shrouds to the exhaust.

I ended up using water blocks for my S604 build.

dual-s604-2-2.jpg

Reply 2 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andrean wrote on 2023-09-07, 06:07:

Hello!

I have acquired an Intel Server Board SE7320SP2 / SE7525GP2 with two Xeon CPUs attached, but no cooler / heatsink came with it. From the specs I gathered this is Socket 604, and by looking on ebay, I found this heatsink https://www.ebay.com/itm/253440198925 which to me at least resembles the holes that I have on my board. There is a sort of backplate below the board that I can see, and is where I believe the screws will attach. I am just wondering if this heatsink is the right one actually, cannot tell if there are multiple versions with different screw mounting positions or not. If anyone knows I'd greatly appreciate any information!

Thanks

Which processors did the board come with? - should be marked on the back side...

Socket 604 processor - back.jpg
Filename
File size
115.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...though you're more likely to need an active heatsink (with a fan) rather than passive (without) - something more like [url]ttps://www.ebay.com/itm/125059725115?epid=82065924[/url]

The heatsinks don't attach to the backplate (its called a CEK spring) but through it directly to the motherboard tray - these are normally server-type cases...do you have a particular case in mind?

Reply 3 of 8, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same problem on the same board...
My board came with 2 copper heatsinks, but no mounting material.
The hardware to fix the coolers to is in the server case.

I have replicated how its mounted originally.
After i had installed the mainboard in its proper position, i marked the 8 holes for the cooler through the mainboard on the case back.
Then i used standoffs from the same size as the ones the mainboard mounts to for those 8 holes.

Because the heatsinks i got work with airflow from the servercase and have no fans, i have attached 2 fans on top.

2023-09-07 12.30.06.jpg
Filename
2023-09-07 12.30.06.jpg
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2023-09-07 12.30.31.jpg
Filename
2023-09-07 12.30.31.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 4 of 8, by st31276a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a SE7525RP2 with two Xeons since new, still in use.

The boxed cpu’s came with a hefty copper heat sink and fan each. The bracket they screw into gets attached to the motherboard tray, the case has different screw holes for it and you move it to the right spot so that it aligns. The coolers do not attach to the motherboard.

Mine is in an Antec Titan server case.

The E7525 north bridge supports DDR2-400 registered ECC memory. Latest cpu’s supported is the Irwindale 2MB Prescott / Hyperthreading based Xeons. It does not support dual core socket 604 cpu’s. Highest clock 3.8GHz. Mine is running 2x3GHz.

The 6300ESB south bridge supports ATA100 and non-native SATA150 (SATA in IDE mode, no NCQ)

A silicon image 3124 PCI-X card is a nice storage addon.

I see yours also has the 8MB Rage XL PCI on board. Good for text console only, video quality is a “knife through the eyes” experience 😀

Onboard LAN is a single lane pci express Marvell 8050 gigabit chipset in my case, quite a good performer. Runs wire speed on gigabit without breaking a sweat at all. Looks like yours has a dual lan option, those came with a marvell and an intel chipset, looks like yours has the e1000 intel populated. That one is connected to pci or pci-x if Im not mistaken.

The weak point of the E7525/6300ESB combo is the link between the north and south bridges only runs at 266 megabytes per second. Sata, ide, pci and pci-x buses sprout from the 6300ESB, where the E7525 has the cpu bus, memory controller and pci express (1.0) controllers built in. If you want fast and unbottlenecked IO you have to use pci express. (and keep the 266MB/s limit in mind of everything on the south bridge, so that you put stuff there that will not exceed that)

Reply 5 of 8, by andrean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-09-07, 06:38:
Which processors did the board come with? - should be marked on the back side... […]
Show full quote

Hello!

Thanks

Which processors did the board come with? - should be marked on the back side...

...though you're more likely to need an active heatsink (with a fan) rather than passive (without) - something more like [url]ttps://www.ebay.com/itm/125059725115?epid=82065924[/url]

The heatsinks don't attach to the backplate (its called a CEK spring) but through it directly to the motherboard tray - these are normally server-type cases...do you have a particular case in mind?

Thanks everyone for the replies, it came with two SL8P5 Xeon 3.2GHz CPUs. I would like to run the board on a PC bench so it would be sitting on top of desk, horizontally, not vertically as would be the case with regular PC cases.. Can I attach the above linked heatsink with cooler to the motherboard as is in that case? (I have no support for that from the PC bench that I use).

Reply 6 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
andrean wrote on 2023-09-07, 17:30:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-09-07, 06:38:
Which processors did the board come with? - should be marked on the back side... […]
Show full quote

Hello!

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies, it came with two SL8P5 Xeon 3.2GHz CPUs. I would like to run the board on a PC bench so it would be sitting on top of desk, horizontally, not vertically as would be the case with regular PC cases.. Can I attach the above linked heatsink with cooler to the motherboard as is in that case? (I have no support for that from the PC bench that I use).

You can attach those (particularly heavy) coolers like you're suggesting (done it myself on a similar socket 771 board...BUT) if it's done on a temporary basis, say for quick testing purposes. I wouldn't want to run like that for extended periods / permanently or with significant cpu tasks running regularly, as this family of processors are absolute space heaters thermally and need a properly installed cooling system to match. For proper contact between the cooler base, paste and the processor IHS, you need the heatsink screwed down to the case from above while the CEK spring pushes up from below - this ensures good surface contact between all the layers whilst reducing stress on the motherboard to an absolute minimum. Doing it the quick way will likely cause the board to flex in and around the cpu sockets which can easily lead to solder joints cracking or to component failure.

Reply 7 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

check this thread: A Kick-Ass Dual 3.8GHz NetBurst Xeon Build

Irinikus had to make a back plate to mount the heatsinks. I would pick his brain over the process.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 8, by supercordo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-09-07, 06:31:
That should fit OK, though I would measure the gap around your sockets as the caps look to be very close to the socket! […]
Show full quote

That should fit OK, though I would measure the gap around your sockets as the caps look to be very close to the socket!

Your bigger issue will be fans. Those heatsinks are designed to be installed in highly channeled airflow cases, in 1 or 2U rackmount cases. Channeling air flow from the intake fans across the CPUs and out through shrouds to the exhaust.

I ended up using water blocks for my S604 build.

dual-s604-2-2.jpg

I just bought the same board! HAHA