VOGONS

First post, by polishvito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm conflicted. Or rather my P70 is conflicted.

So I got and have been trying to restore this PS/2 P70. One problem after another of course. Totally dead HD so I got the MCIDE (https://zzxio.com/product/mcide/). Works great, boots off CF card etc.

I ordered the Resound New Wave MCA https://texelec.com/product/resound-new-wave-mca/ for sound blaster sound to add to this machine.

Unfortunately, these devices don't seem to want to play nice with each other. Either card works independently (at least the adlib compatibility does as that is the best I could test from a floppy drive), but when they are in the machine together the reference disk throws up configuration conflicts:

IMG_1024.jpg
Filename
IMG_1024.jpg
File size
83.26 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This happens when either or both of the IDE channels (A or B) are enabled. The MCIDE gives the option of making each channel primary, secondary, tertiary, or quaternary. All of them show a conflict and then the configuration utility just disables the MCIDE. If I don't enable the channels the MCIDE bios comes up, but obviously doesn't detect my CF card since all the IDEs are disabled.

There isn't much to configure for the sound card as you can see - though I have cycled through all the port/irq/dma options but the same problem remains. Enabling the joystick port brings up a conflict error as well, but that is something I can live without.

I wish the configuration program was a little more helpful and actually told you where the conflict was.

I've attached the .adf files for both cards to this in case anyone can look at them and see any obvious reason why these would be conflicting. I was wondering if there was some sort of IDE conflict from the New Wave, like leftover IDE support even though this sound card isn't supposed to have it. The card is supposed to be a clone of the Sound Blaster MCV Model CT- 5320, which itself is a clone of the sound blaster 2.0. I don't think either of these had IDE support like the later SB16s.

I don't have much experience when it comes to setting up MCA stuff so I'm at a loss here about where to go next. I would love both of these cards to work together and it would be a real fun machine with some solid sound and a bootable CF drive.

Please help my dumb ass. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Filename
    @5085.txt
    File size
    1.55 KiB
    Downloads
    27 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    @71F1.txt
    File size
    4.74 KiB
    Downloads
    28 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 3, by polishvito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a solution! Thanks to Mark from ZZxio who made the MCIDE and responded to me very quickly.

it looks like there was an error with Texelec’s ADF file. […]
Show full quote

it looks like there was an error with Texelec’s ADF file.

ADF:

Choice "220h" pos[1]=xxxxx010b io 0220-022fh

This works fine with other adapters e.g. NIC cards, but seems when using the McIDE card, the auto-config can't handle this omission well.

Fix:

Choice "220h" pos[1]=xxxxx010b io 0220h-022fh

Used the edited .adf file and it works! Sound blaster in all its glory running off my CF card on a gas plasma display that cost $8000 in 1989. Love it.

Can't imagine I'll be the only person combining the New Wave and the MCIDE, so hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Reply 2 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P75 was retailed around 10,000 usd in 1989 or so as well. Real 486 machine with scsi. At about that time, Mac IIfx was in that range as well, 10,000.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks alot! It looks like this also works for the Joystick Enable option.
After i add the "h" i can enable it without conflict. (55SX)

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS