VOGONS

First post, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cant find what a constant repeating long beep means. I can find the beep codes for other beeps but not this one.

Its a socket 370 asus cuv4x motherboard.

Reply 1 of 14, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-09-08, 14:50:

I cant find what a constant repeating long beep means. I can find the beep codes for other beeps but not this one.

According to the manual it means that the RAM is not detected. You can find the reference in [Hardware Setup] =>[Starting up the first time] =>[Award Bios beep codes]

Reply 2 of 14, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2023-09-08, 15:19:
Law212 wrote on 2023-09-08, 14:50:

According to the manual it means that the RAM is not detected. You can find the reference in [Hardware Setup] =>[Starting up the first time] =>[Award Bios beep codes]

Shoot. I have tried a bunch of different sticks or RAM and still nothing. I think the board is done. Thanks

Reply 4 of 14, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zerthimon wrote on 2023-09-08, 15:45:

I always thought continuous beep means CPU has not started (bad CPU, voltage, clock etc. problem)

Hmm, Ill have to check that. Ill do it right now.

Reply 5 of 14, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking at the manual it looks like this motherboard only takes up to 800 MHZ . Here I am trying to run a 1ghz CPU on it. Ill have to put the 700 MHz chip back in and try it again. Though i think that cpu is at home and ill have to try it out on Monday.

Reply 7 of 14, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CPU supporting higher frequency than the board can provide is not a problem. The voltage is a problem, though. What CPU is it? A tualatin, by chance?

Reply 8 of 14, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI all, So I tried the original CPu in the Mobo and it still gave the beeps.

So heres a quick story with some background into this pc.

I had this computer ( I forget where I got it, and I had a cool dual CPU P3 asus cuv4x-D . The dual CPU mobo had two 933 mhz cpus and this one had a 700 MHz cpu. Well the motherboard on the dual cpu machine died. Caps exploded and i didnt have the skill to fix it. I got that computer for free anyway.

So this one stopped working shortly after. I figure , maybe just bad luck or maybe i changed something, and cant figure it out.

Well last weekend, I went to the thrift stores and was hoping to find another Pentium 3 and wished it could be a 1000mhz machine. (I get all my PC stuff from thrift stores)
Well I walked in and lo and behold a beige computer sitting on the shelf. It was a desktop not a tower and I saw that is was an IBM Netvista and it had the P3 tag on it. It was priced at 9.99 so i bought it.

I took it home and booted it up. It was a P3 1000mhz cpu with 500 gigs of ram . It only has 3 PCi slots, onboard sound and video. It had a HDD which had windows xp and someones pictures and music. Apparently the person made his own music and remixed songs.

Anyway, I swapped the HDD for the one in my troublsome P3 with win 98 on it and put in my PCI voodoo 3 2000 and it so far runs great. I did remove the CPU and clean it and re-apply thermal paste.

Quake 3 runs like a charm where the other computer when it did work, would freeze seconds into running the game with the voodoo 3. Ill need to test my other games like SIN and Max Payne 3, as SIN would freeze as soon as you changed to 3dfx on the other p3.

Also The DVD rom wouldnt register so I swapped it out for the one you see on the pic. The case is super dirty and has tape all over it so I have to clean it up

mM7ytH6.jpg
ZUoKF7x.jpg
P9aLsxx.jpg

Reply 10 of 14, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zerthimon wrote on 2023-09-12, 19:08:
Law212 wrote on 2023-09-12, 19:00:

It was a P3 1000mhz cpu with 500 gigs of ram .

Nice! Lots of memory...

Lol 500 gigs. I means 500 megs ...

Reply 12 of 14, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zerthimon wrote on 2023-09-12, 19:18:

The "beeping" motherboard, what CPU is it jumpered for? Or is it set to auto detect?

There is a jumperless mode where it will autodetect. Same result.

Reply 13 of 14, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So Here is the Netvista P3 1GHZ. I think its complete now. I have a sound blaster live and a voodoo 3 2000 inside and it runs great. I now have a pentium 1 233 MMX with a voodoo 2 12 meg card, This P3 , a P4 and a 486.

I also have a pentium 2 but i dont need it and will sell it off and I have another P3 which is a Slot A 450 MHZ that I also will sell as I dont need it.

I think ill also sell off my extra Voodoo 3 2000 card

rN0Tjpn.jpg

vj7zQns.jpg
QPUk10g.jpg

hWriOPO.jpg

The case is dirty and yellowed so Ill clean it up more and one day might retrobright it but for now I just want to play my old games.

Reply 14 of 14, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For case cleaning, isopropyl alcohol works very well when removing tape glue residue. I'm guessing that some of that is quite old, which will make the task more difficult and time consuming, but I know of nothing that works better.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey