VOGONS

Reply 20 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No ... get the Intel BXTS15A ! It is a great heatsink. The Delta made version weighs in at 448grams, one of the most mass HS you will find for soc 115x that I know of....True full copper core, the Pure Rock 2 has only a small aluminum block on the cpu to first grab the heat, tisk, tisk tisk ;p added: should be a copper block to the copper heat pipes, just sayin 🤣

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 22 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-09-12, 01:26:

I just picked this one up for 30 quid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256033739182

Not sure which version it is.

Nice ! Now that one has some mass to it and should well with near all i7/i9 IMHO think it is a Dark Rock Pro 4

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 36, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-09-12, 01:07:

No ... get the Intel BXTS15A ! It is a great heatsink. The Delta made version weighs in at 448grams, one of the most mass HS you will find for soc 115x that I know of....True full copper core, the Pure Rock 2 has only a small aluminum block on the cpu to first grab the heat, tisk, tisk tisk ;p added: should be a copper block to the copper heat pipes, just sayin 🤣

How can a third party, put the Intel logo on its product? Does it mean that it has been officially endorsed by Intel? I wish you guys had mentioned these fans MUCH EARLIER when responding (by their model numbers), so I could order one accordingly!
Regardless, I am eternally grateful for your awesome insights and help!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 24 of 36, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Duplicate, sorry

Last edited by C0deHunter on 2023-09-12, 04:33. Edited 1 time in total.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 25 of 36, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How can a third party, put the Intel logo on its product? Does it mean that it has been officially endorsed by Intel? I wish you guys had mentioned these fans MUCH EARLIER when responding (by their model numbers), so I could order one accordingly!
Regardless, I am eternally grateful for your awesome insights and help!

Edit: How came the packaging on BXTS15A says LGA 1151?

Reply 26 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

LGA 1150, 1151, 1155, all use the same mount holes to set the cooler. https://noctua.at/en/which-noctua-coolers-are … lga1155-lga1156
and Toms Hardware has an article about using 1155 and 1151 heatsinks that says same thing....

Reply 28 of 36, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bequiet! Pure Rock 2 does have copper made by heatpipes in direct contact with the CPU's IHS. The IHS is pure copper, about 3mm thick also, plated with layer of nickel.

In use, does perform great for us on i7-4790K

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 29 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-09-12, 22:39:

Bequiet! Pure Rock 2 does have copper made by heatpipes in direct contact with the CPU's IHS. The IHS is pure copper, about 3mm thick also, plated with layer of nickel.

In use, does perform great for us on i7-4790K

Cheers,

Thanks ! Some how the first picture I saw of the base did not look the one currently on their website, I can see the heatpipes do contact the cpu....

Reply 30 of 36, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2023-09-12, 04:33:

How can a third party, put the Intel logo on its product? Does it mean that it has been officially endorsed by Intel?

They're contract manufacturers for Intel. Intel makes the spec for their coolers (including appearance) and gives it to a few trusted companies instead of building their own. The original manufacturer is in the fine print on the fan label.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/suppo … processors.html

Reply 31 of 36, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received an Intel BXTS15A, and although it looks impressive, it is VERY LOUD. Is this normal? (normal for the other tower fans that some of you have recommended as well?)

Reply 32 of 36, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
C0deHunter wrote on 2023-09-16, 15:29:

Just received an Intel BXTS15A, and although it looks impressive, it is VERY LOUD. Is this normal? (normal for the other tower fans that some of you have recommended as well?)

Despite its vapor chamber and larger fin surface this cooler still uses a ~92mm fan blowing air onto the motherboard and has much less surface area than even simple tower coolers. It still needs high rpm to transport sufficient air to cool higher TDP CPUs and will create more turbulence because ist blows air against a large obstacle (motherboard). It makes a lot of sense that it would be much louder than a good tower cooler. Sorry.😕

Reply 33 of 36, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My motherboard has fan tuning so it only gets loud if I am fully pounding on the cpu. I did have to fine tune the temps/duty (bios has 5 adjustable steps for the cpu fan in Custom mode)....

Reply 34 of 36, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
C0deHunter wrote on 2023-09-16, 15:29:

Its enough to do the job .

Its not designed to be a quite cooler.

If you want a cooler that can do the job of cooling the CPU and be quite while it does it then you will need something like one of the big tower coolers. They have the surface area to disapate the heat and nice big cooling fans to move some air over the fin stack.

Reply 35 of 36, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All oem intel coolers have few issues. Stinking plastic clips that does not have springs in it, depends on motherboard PCB for springiness, 1" high barely can cool i5 but not i7, and any 2" tall is better but ones with copper core is expensive. The one you bought is poorly rated on reviews decades ago and *is* still expensive even used!

This is the *reason* why I steered you away from intel coolers and go for tower coolers and one of them I recommended is not more than 40 to 60 dollars.

The best rated coolers were always the towers. Not all are best, but there are pretty good tower coolers. Bequiet!'s Pure Rock 2 is one of good examples, smaller but yet works well in narrow computer towers. Cooler Master hyper 212 is very old and barely revised over the years, about 15 years old designs, is ok but bit on large side and their large, 5 bladed fan is not made for decent cooling, it is made to be quiet but not enough air.

Hence reason for different coolers with correct type of fans such as Bequiet! Pure Rock 2.

One another cooler I forgot but pretty good specs.

The high end is usually Noctua's.

How I know? I worked with computers for decades and knew what worked well and not break the bank.

The solid aluminum that is tall and big cooled well with 92mm fan was found in HP Elitedesk 8200, 8300 and 800 G1, G2 towers and Z220 use same cooler. So much metal even it doesn't need a copper slug.
If I wanted to convert, would have to make a brackets and use Noctua or Bequiet! cooler and make a correct plug with shorting jumper built in. Not too terribly difficult to do.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 36 of 36, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I am grateful, I just wanted to make sure if it is normal. I can live with the extra noise, when I close the case, I am sure I would hardly heart it.