VOGONS

First post, by kickloch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons,

I have a a really strange problem with the DFI K6xv3+ mainboard. First of all I salvaged it decades ago from a pc of my father's where it used to run with a K6-2 450 for several years reliably. Time went by and some while ago I wanted to see if it still worked. After having installed Win98se I noticed strange registry errors, scanreg had to repair things and occasional bluescreens came up. After having copied some zip archives to the disk and trying to unzip them Winrar reported CRC errors and so on, stuff like that. So it was time to try diffferent hardware, different memory sticks in different slots, various CPUs like K6-III, K6-2 and K6, some different vga cards and so on. But the problems reappeared so I was thinking that this board obviously has some damage and put it back on the shelf for a while. Then again I don't know why but I thought I could try it with my good old Pentium 133 MHz. And you know what, it worked. No errors whatsoever. I then went on and tried it with a K5 PR133, and it also works without an issue. I moved further on and gave it a Pentium MMX 166 and voila, the problems were back.
So I was wondering what could be the problem here. The things that all CPUs that don't work in this board have in common is that they use split voltage planes and they have MMX instructions. The P1 and the K5 do not. So, does this make sense to you? Any ideas?

regards
kickloch

Reply 2 of 4, by kickloch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Repo Man,

That is good question indeed. Because my adventures with this board started already many months ago, if not several years. Every once in a while I tried something different, and I cannot really say that I was using the same psu all over again, but chances are I did. But the one I'm normally using for testing is quite a good one, I have also been using it with my Asus K7M with an Athlon 800 MHz and I never experienced any of the problems like I did with the DFI.