VOGONS

First post, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never really followed all the desktop boards and CPUs at the time they were current and now Im wanting to get into some XP gaming so I got to wondering which Mini-ITX motherboard would be considered to be the best for WinXP?

I was thinking of the i7-4770K CPU but maybe the i7-4790 might be better as I know little to nothing at all about over clocking CPUs these days.

I was hoping to get something that will fit into the Thermaltake The Tower 100 because I like the aesthetics of it with regards to the side windows, but The Tower 200 would also fit and it can be outfitted with a side mounted AiO liquid cooler radiator.

I was also thinking of pairing the board/CPU up with either a 980Ti or a Titan X P

So im looking for a board to go with all of that.

Reply 2 of 17, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Asrock Z77E-ITX with a 4.5ghz 2500k on Windows XP & 10. Asrock has drivers for it for XP. It has a Geforce 970 and an X-Fi Titanium Fatility. For the X-Fi, I use a mini-PCIE to PCIE adapter. I have it built inside an old biege case for that retro sleeper look. However, I would be able to fit this in a smaller case if I wanted (970 is the limiting factor) since the PCIE adapters have long cable runs to mount anywhere.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 3 of 17, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats the kind of size Im looking for but that doesnt support the 4th gen i7 I want to run my system on 🙁

I would have thought you guys would be full of suggestions for this kind of thing...

Ive come up with these two so far.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Z97M-ITXac/

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97N- … ing-5-rev-10#ov

Reply 4 of 17, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-09-18, 13:24:

Actually I think I would also consider a MicroATX board that has a PCI slot for an Audigy 2 for some hardware accelerated sound games.

Unless you already have the Audigy 2, get an X-Fi for XP. Either PCI or PCI-E...

Reply 5 of 17, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-09-19, 06:21:
Thats the kind of size Im looking for but that doesnt support the 4th gen i7 I want to run my system on :( […]
Show full quote

Thats the kind of size Im looking for but that doesnt support the 4th gen i7 I want to run my system on 🙁

I would have thought you guys would be full of suggestions for this kind of thing...

Ive come up with these two so far.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Z97M-ITXac/

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97N- … ing-5-rev-10#ov

And neither of these boards have official XP drivers...

Do you already own a Haswell CPU? I'm guessing not motherboard otherwise you wouldn't be asking for motherboard advice... but... fundamentally, why not save yourself a bunch of headaches by going ivy bridge? If you are okay going i5, too, i5 ivy bridges are quite plentiful and cheap. 3770ks... not so much.

Reply 6 of 17, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Snappy Driver Installer is pretty good with matching up drivers to XP.

No I dont have a 4th gen system for XP. Right now I have a 3rd gen 3770k already. I want to take it as far as it will go on a single CPU socket. I dont think there are any XP drivers for 5th gen boards so I thought I would try 4th gen.

Reply 7 of 17, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-09-19, 22:11:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-09-18, 13:24:

Actually I think I would also consider a MicroATX board that has a PCI slot for an Audigy 2 for some hardware accelerated sound games.

Unless you already have the Audigy 2, get an X-Fi for XP. Either PCI or PCI-E...

How and why would the X-Fi be better for XP?

I have a few Creative cards but none of them are X-Fi cards.
I would like to use my Audigy 2 ZS Video but I dont think they ever made the drivers for XP.

Reply 8 of 17, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Audigy 2Zs absolutely has drivers for windows XP. It is an XP era sound card.
https://support.creative.com/downloads/welcom … erType=1#type_1

The Audigy cards support EAX 4. The x-fi cards support EAX 5 but there are only a handful of games that uses the latest version of EAX. You would get somewhat diminished sound from an Audigy 2 in those few games.

https://list.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_games_with_EAX_support

For a dedicated XP machine, anything sandy bridge or haswell should work fine. You can either boot in legacy mode, or slipstream AHCI drivers into your image. If you want chipset drivers though, it's pretty hard to find any after sandy bridge.

Reply 9 of 17, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I know the chipset drivers will be a problem that's why I asked what the best mini itx board for XP is.
I'm not sure where to start, I don't want a load of boards good only for Win7

Reply 10 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-09-21, 18:43:

Yeah I know the chipset drivers will be a problem that's why I asked what the best mini itx board for XP is.

Well, the "best mini ITX board for XP" is some Z77 board, no way around it.

It is possible to run XP on newer boards, but you'll have to resort to modded/backported drivers for the onboard Intel stuff. Also note that many other manufacturers of onboard peripherals also dropped XP support at the same time, why invest development resources on stuff that's supposed to go on boards that doesn't support XP anyways?

If I were you, and really wanted to use those 4th gen CPUs with XP, I'd select a bunch of Z87 ITX boards from a few reputable manufacturers, go through the driver download pages to see if there are XP drivers available for integrated sound, ethernet, wireless, additional USB controller, etc, and pick the board with the most complete support. I'd also stock up on Aspirin, there will be headaches if you decide to follow this through.

Reply 11 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep in mind you can install ESXi (what I use) or Proxmox on the latest hardware and then passthrough your GPU and soundcard to the VM if you want to go that route. Works great for XP for me.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 17, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-09-21, 18:43:

chipset drivers can be nice, but are absolutely not required.

Reply 13 of 17, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't have to be 4th gen, I just thought if I'm going to do it I would push it as far as it would go.
I remember the endless trouble I had with Windows 2000 when I did the same with that.

The real thing I want is it based in a Thermaltake The Tower 100 case with a Titan XP.
An i7-3770K would do just fine too especially as I'm not 100% sure it will work on a 4th gen.

I would also like a board that I can mount a big tower cooler to, so the cpu socket needs to be away from the graphics card slot.

Reply 14 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-09-21, 21:55:
It doesn't have to be 4th gen, I just thought if I'm going to do it I would push it as far as it would go. I remember the endles […]
Show full quote

It doesn't have to be 4th gen, I just thought if I'm going to do it I would push it as far as it would go.
I remember the endless trouble I had with Windows 2000 when I did the same with that.

The real thing I want is it based in a Thermaltake The Tower 100 case with a Titan XP.
An i7-3770K would do just fine too especially as I'm not 100% sure it will work on a 4th gen.

I would also like a board that I can mount a big tower cooler to, so the cpu socket needs to be away from the graphics card slot.

An i7-3770k or i5-3570k in a Z77 board is what I'd use for a completely overkill WinXP computer. If it's a question of building the ultimate XP rig rather than just overkill, and you're prepared to pay up, you might want to look into LGA2011/X99 mobos and CPUs. ITX mobo pickings are rather slim though, the CPUs are insanely power hungry and not really suited for compact cases, and a 3770k performs almost equally in games anyways.

Would not use anything newer than GF700 series GPUs with WinXP. The Titan XP is a 1000 series card IIRC. The original Titan or Titan Black would be more suitable. Titan Z is a dual GPU card, I'd avoid it for technical reasons.

Personally I'd pair that 3770k CPU/Z77 board with a GTX680 GPU. It's still complete overkill for XP era games, and there's a little bit less fiddling to get some games working properly than with a 700 series card.

If you want a specific suggestion, I really liked the Asus P8Z77-I in my HTPC until I replaced it with a Nvidia Shield TV picked up on a heavy discount. Had all the UEFI options I wanted, and was something of a work horse. Never had any trouble with it at all.

Reply 16 of 17, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-09-22, 06:42:

Is this what you mean?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/X99-Mini-LGA2011-3-M … d/dp/B08L4CG1BV

That Asus P8Z77-I does look quite nice, Ill have a look around for that.

Yes it was, however, the DDR4 sockets on that board made me double check it. Mixed the chipsets up, it's an X79 board you'd want in that case. Also, looks like there's no official 32-bit AHCI driver for X79, you'd have to run the SATA controller in IDE mode or find a backport, which kind of defeats the purpose of avoiding 4th gen stuff. Also, I'd generally avoid those Chinese noname boards, and get something from a reputable manufacturer instead.

It is 😀 Wouldn't set my mind on getting one particular model at this stage though, there were lots of great ITX offerings from other manufacturers aswell.

Reply 17 of 17, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

X79 LGA 2011 ITX it is then.
Isnt the SATA chip on the sound bridge chip... In which case some of those Frankenstein Chinese boards might be an advantage as they seem to mix n match their sound bridge chips. Which means I might get an X79 board that does have a southbridge that has XP drivers. 😀