VOGONS

First post, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello 😀

I don't know if this can be the right section, as i have problem with my "old" PC (a Windows XP and Win 7 dual boot desktop from 2006) but I really need some help if someone can figured it out, as i am going little bit mad :\

I have an ASUS M2N, AMD 64X2 5600+, 8GB DDR2 and a GTX 260 with two HDD (one PATA with XP and FreeDOS dual boot menu, other one SATA with Win 7 only).

The problem is since few days, both systems looks like suddenly died as I can't boot any of them: i didn't change anything and the problems are the sequent:

If i try to select Windows XP on boot menu along FreeDOS, as soon as i press enter the screen goes black with yellow led and it immediately reboots, this on loop infinite. FreeDOS works fine but is useless at moment.

If i try to press F8 Boot Menu and select the second HDD with Win 7 inside, as long the "Starting Windows" write appears, it goes back to black and white error screen when it says an error like 0xc000024c (sort of, can't remember but if needed i can look and write it more precisely).

I tried then to insert Win 7 DVD thinking that maybe the repair on installation would do the trick, but here comes the fun part: After I try to boot with the Win 7 Setup DVD, after the white bar ends to load it gives me a blue screen wit only write STOP in white at the center of the screen, no way to boot even with the DVD.

Then I thought trying with the XP installation CD, and the same happens: the blue installation menu appears, but as soon it starts load the files on the bar below it at very beggining gives me another error that cannot find a file (CD is even original, not burned and always worke fine).

So im pratically stuck, reading around looks like a boot failure (despite three days ago worked perfectly) or a BIOS setting error, but I've tried even to reset the default settings on BIOS menu and nothing changed.

The only thing that i assume can cause this is that I took away a stick of ram (8GB in four sticks 2GB each = 2GBx2GBx2GBx2GB) as it didn't even goes after POST with one stick, removing one boots fine with 6GB but can it be the problem? I added a 1GB stick going 7GB but it give same errors.

Please help me out, what I can do? No way to reinstall everything please, there are years and years of hard work, settings and games inside on both systems.

As last hope I had a USB drive with HirensBoot CD 15.2 inside, but almost whatever options I choose on the DOS menu it give me an error and so I can't even use the Mini XP that sometimes is very useful. Is like everything became unbootable and im forever stuck like this, any solutions would be VERY needed because I almost never faced this kind of problem and seems strange that suddenly two different OS's became like this.

Of course, not even safe mode works: as i said XP just reboots as soon I press enter on the choice menu, while Win 7 i can get the F8 menu but every choice i pick no matter what it appears the black and white screen with that number error.

Thank you very much and sorry for bad english.

Reply 2 of 9, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-09-22, 00:21:

To boot with one stick it needs to be in a certain slot.
Use memtest and check them all.

the "faulty" stick is removed, despite sometimes works fine if i move it a little bit. I'll try then for now to use one stick only, but can it be that with different amount of GB than before, can give such errors? Thanks for reply 😀

Reply 3 of 9, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-09-22, 00:24:

the "faulty" stick is removed, despite sometimes works fine if i move it a little bit. I'll try then for now to use one stick only, but can it be that with different amount of GB than before, can give such errors? Thanks for reply 😀

It shouldn't.
Try to clean with deoxidizer, that could be.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 9, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-09-22, 01:20:
VenomSpark wrote on 2023-09-22, 00:24:

It shouldn't.
Try to clean with deoxidizer, that could be.

tried it, still sadly no luck. Memtest says all sticks works, tried all combinations (7GB, 6GB,4GB,2GB) but still both OS's don't work...

Reply 6 of 9, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-09-22, 13:28:

Try in safe mode.

Try a different video card.

as i said sadly can't boot in safe mode in both systems 🙁 Win XP just goes black and reboot not even before see the logo, same goes for 7 that if i choose safe mode i see the write files loading then goes back to the 0x000024c error

Reply 9 of 9, by goofyahhuncle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe recheck the BIOS settings. Here's how to do it. Make sure your hard drives are being detected properly in the BIOS. If any changes were inadvertently made, it could explain why your operating systems aren't booting as they should.
Otherwise, go to a data recovery service if you don't want to lose the files.