VOGONS

ZIDA BX98-3D not ports?

Topic actions

First post, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi , i have old Zida BX98-3D motherboard, but icant see any ps2 and usb ports on card. in manual there are slots but not on card?

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/zida-bx98-3d

Attachments

Reply 5 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did the serial header come with the board or was it obtained elsewhere?

Asking because there are 2 common, one less common, and several rare and weird pinouts for serial headers.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 21, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the non-original, you have to measure where you have the individual wires for data, ground, Vcc and clock and sort the wires into a line accordingly to match the header connection - header wiring is in the manual, I marked it for you on the pics.

Attachments

• zida.jpg
    Filename
    zida.jpg
    File size
    262.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 21, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rain wrote on 2023-09-22, 15:34:

i see but com 1 and com2 ports not working im using serial mouse

This original bracket is not for COM (serial) port header, but for custom 20pin combined header as you can see on the top image.

Reply 10 of 21, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rain wrote on 2023-09-22, 15:56:

Im using this for serial mouse but did not work either

This may be due to a different wire connection, there are more ways, see: Re: I can't get my serial port mouse to work.

For PS/2 - you can use it, but you need to know, which wire is connected where on PS/2 female connector on bracket. Pinout you can see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_port

Reply 12 of 21, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a photo of my old Zid BX98-CT. The original PS/2 bracket looked like this (but as I was saying, you can use any other with wires connected correctly) :

Attachments

• s370a.jpg
    Filename
    s370a.jpg
    File size
    180.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s370.jpg
    Filename
    s370.jpg
    File size
    212.91 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 21, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2023-10-29, 08:58:

I found a photo of my old Zid BX98-CT. The original PS/2 bracket looked like this (but as I was saying, you can use any other with wires connected correctly) :

Thanks this mobo looks like mine but com ports (serial) not working did you try it on yours?

Reply 14 of 21, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rain wrote on 2023-10-29, 15:16:

Thanks this mobo looks like mine but com ports (serial) not working did you try it on yours?

for the nth time- there are many ways to wire serial dongles, you need to take measurements on your board and make one yourself

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 15 of 21, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2023-09-22, 15:29:

I mean original bracket, which seem to be as this from Asus (cannot found original Zida picture):

Oh wow! I didn't know that's what those looked like, neat.

I have a Zida board with similar headers and yeah, I had to rewire a one of my DB9 breakouts (Everex I think? actually looks like it was from Everex to DTK/Intel) to get a serial mouse working. USB works with my case's USB 2.0 front panel header. 😈

The silkscreen by the AGP port on this one faked me out and looked like an unpopulated header at first. 😅

Reply 16 of 21, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rain wrote on 2023-10-29, 15:16:
Ydee wrote on 2023-10-29, 08:58:

Unfortunately not on this one, I had to sell it for lack of space. But I have a similar one, only a slot 1, on which my regular Genius serial mouse works. COM header is plugged into this bracket and the pins are connected alternately to the top and bottom rows in brackets, look at the picture. The mouse works in MS-DOS, W95 and W98SE.

Attachments

• zida bx98.jpg
    Filename
    zida bx98.jpg
    File size
    124.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • header.jpg
    Filename
    header.jpg