VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Soyo Was a popular brand where i live, it was one of the good brands, not like ASUS but it served well.
They made some good SLOT1 motherboards, some good Super socket7 motherboards. And they continued releasing even motherboards in the Athlon XP era where they even released white pcb motherboards.

Now, 20 years after, each time i see a soyo motherboard around, there are 4 common things:

1) They used these crap silver SACON branded caps.
2) The caps are all bad and bulging
3) The caps smell really bad
4) If you take the cap out of the motherboard, they have paper weight, nothing compared to a same UF and voltage replacement cap weight.

These are the silver hated caps they used to release their motherboards with:

Produto13599.grande.39d802cf03250b331f5a9d9545ef8c0d.jpg

I am sure that many others in the forum have experienced the same with the SOYO brand.
So i wanted to ask if you had fixed any soyo motherboard?
Did anyone do a soyo motherboad recap?
Was the recap done fully or just some of them? (during that era they used about 40-50 capacitors in the full motherboard. so you will need to spend a lot of money for a full recap)
What kind of capacitor replacements did you use for the recap? what brand and series was used that is currently available.

If soyo messed up so bad with the electrolytic caps, maybe they did the same with SMD caps?

Reply 2 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Soyo 5EMA+ was fine (I bought it in 2019) as it was. But the two other Soyo boards I have both had to be recapped. My Soyo Dragon Plus was so bad that I was afraid to even see if it would POST, so I recapped it on faith. But both it and the 7VMA-B I have are now working fine.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 6, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same with my Dragon Platinum edition - when I do get round to the recap am hoping to use suitable spec polys to maintain the aesthetic

Soyo SAC OFF.jpg
Filename
Soyo SAC OFF.jpg
File size
452.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 6, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-09-27, 03:13:

Same with my Dragon Platinum edition - when I do get round to the recap am hoping to use suitable spec polys to maintain the aesthetic

Soyo SAC OFF.jpg

that board is a beauty
what replacement brand and series are you going to buy?

Reply 5 of 6, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pabloz wrote on 2023-09-27, 02:22:
Soyo Was a popular brand where i live, it was one of the good brands, not like ASUS but it served well. They made some good SLOT […]
Show full quote

Soyo Was a popular brand where i live, it was one of the good brands, not like ASUS but it served well.
They made some good SLOT1 motherboards, some good Super socket7 motherboards. And they continued releasing even motherboards in the Athlon XP era where they even released white pcb motherboards.

Now, 20 years after, each time i see a soyo motherboard around, there are 4 common things:

1) They used these crap silver SACON branded caps.
2) The caps are all bad and bulging
3) The caps smell really bad
4) If you take the cap out of the motherboard, they have paper weight, nothing compared to a same UF and voltage replacement cap weight.

These are the silver hated caps they used to release their motherboards with:

Produto13599.grande.39d802cf03250b331f5a9d9545ef8c0d.jpg

I am sure that many others in the forum have experienced the same with the SOYO brand.
So i wanted to ask if you had fixed any soyo motherboard?
Did anyone do a soyo motherboad recap?
Was the recap done fully or just some of them? (during that era they used about 40-50 capacitors in the full motherboard. so you will need to spend a lot of money for a full recap)
What kind of capacitor replacements did you use for the recap? what brand and series was used that is currently available.

If soyo messed up so bad with the electrolytic caps, maybe they did the same with SMD caps?

I got the news for you. Sacon is a rebranded name for GSC, which indeed made one of the worst low ESR caps and they were used by many MB manufacturers during the plague era. I recently recapped the VRM of EpoX 8rga+, which had around 10 or so GSC caps, some of them bulging. Oddly, those which didn't bulge were still fully in spec, but naturally I replaced them.

GSC got so bad reputation that they changed their name several times. You get the same awfully unstable low ESR stuff if you have caps with GSC, Evercon, Sacon or Capsun brand. It is all literally same crap.

So, in a way Sacon isn't the worst, because manufacturer just changed the name several times and produced same horrible low ESR stuff. Perhaps another brand that is close or equal to GSC turds is Fuhjyyu. And of course there are several smaller brands with awfully performing products, some of which even used fraudulent names (like Rulycon) and so on, but both GSC and Fuhjyyu stuff were really common back in the day. Fuhjiyy may be a bit rarer on MBs, but many PSUs had those.

Reply 6 of 6, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, those are classic bad caps. They had some polymer-looking caps on video cards (which weren't actually polymer), and the later ones didn't have vents.

I want to find an archive of their website because they had a funny quote about being inexperienced, but still being the best anyway.

I just remembered Tayeh. They didn't seem to make any of their caps, considering the similarity in markings to other brands. GSC is one of the companies that might have made their caps, but there were a few others as well.