VOGONS

First post, by Flameboi420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started building a 486 system, pretty bland, 486 DX2, 16 MB RAM, AWE 64, Tseng labs ET4000 VLB video card. I also got an Adaptec AIC-6360 disk controller. it has floppy scsi and ide plus parallel and serial on the back. But i havent been able to boot anything off of it. I noticed the bios chip slot is empty but i heard of people getting it to boot without that chip? I'm a bit lost and this is my first time building a 486 so any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 13, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like to be an Adaptec 1520 / 1522

1) Does the SCSI controller include a floppy disk controller?
2) Do you have another floppy controller on or near your IDE controller?
3) If your SCSI controller have an unpopulated ROM socket, you need to boot either from floppy or IDE device.

You just need the SCSI BIOS when you want to boot from any SCSI device.
Perhaps you can post a picture of your SCSI controller.

Reply 2 of 13, by Flameboi420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-09-28, 19:18:
Seems like to be an Adaptec 1520 / 1522 […]
Show full quote

3) If your SCSI controller have an unpopulated ROM socket, you need to boot either from floppy or IDE device.

it just has one floppy controller, i cant get it to recognize and boot from floppy at all

Reply 4 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Flameboi420 wrote on 2023-09-28, 21:08:
Show full quote

it just has one floppy controller, i cant get it to recognize and boot from floppy at all

Post a picture of the controller ! No one can help proper without a picture....and

Flameboi420 wrote:

I also got an Adaptec AIC-6360 disk controller. it has floppy scsi and ide plus parallel and serial on the back

reading that sounds like the Adaptec has floppy, scsi and ide and serial ALL on same adapter.
Is why we need a picture....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah was thinking it could be like that but want to be sure, there is also no mention of the motherboard make/model but we know the sound card, video and ram 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 13, by Flameboi420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-09-29, 00:58:
Post a picture of the controller ! No one can help proper without a picture....and […]
Show full quote
Flameboi420 wrote on 2023-09-28, 21:08:
Show full quote

Post a picture of the controller ! No one can help proper without a picture....and

Flameboi420 wrote:

I also got an Adaptec AIC-6360 disk controller. it has floppy scsi and ide plus parallel and serial on the back

reading that sounds like the Adaptec has floppy, scsi and ide and serial ALL on same adapter.
Is why we need a picture....

the motherboard is a PCChips M912 v1.7. the card has IDE SCSI and Floppy plus parallel and serial all on one card, which was why i got it was because it seemed like a good idea. I just cant figure out how to get it to boot from floppy without the bios

Attachments

Reply 9 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting.

You would probably use this basically like a I/o card.

In that you would put this in a motherboard that otherwise didn’t have any onboard fdd/ide/scsi ports

You would go into the bios and set up the disks cylinder, head, sector, etc the floppy type , all the usual stuff.

And finally you would go to the jumpers on the card and make sure they were set to the usual memory address ranges/IRQs that a typical motherboard expects to see fdd/hdd at and it usually would work from there

But things get a little complicated if you have more than one hdd, or more than one fdd controller.

Trying to use the ide part of that and the scsi part at the same time may also be tricky.

If you can get the fdd working and solve any irq problems you may be able to use a fdd plop image/disk as a boot loader

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 10 of 13, by Flameboi420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-09-29, 06:36:

Interesting.

In that you would put this in a motherboard that otherwise didn’t have any onboard fdd/ide/scsi ports

Right, I got that part. I'm just scratching my head as to how to set the jumpers or any of that so the bios actually can see the drives so i can boot off of them

Reply 11 of 13, by Flameboi420

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick update, My dad helped me figure this out because he had the same controller. For anyone else having this issue, JP 5 and JP 7 must be on in order to properly enable the Floppy controller. I have an IDE hard drive hooked up to it and working as well. Im going to try and get SCSI working so i can use my SCSI CD ROM drive. But as of now I resolved the issue.

Reply 12 of 13, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Flameboi420 wrote on 2023-09-29, 12:36:
Sphere478 wrote on 2023-09-29, 06:36:

Interesting.

Right, I got that part. I'm just scratching my head as to how to set the jumpers or any of that so the bios actually can see the drives so i can boot off of them

It may be possible to look up the ISA pinout and use a ohm meter to determine which jumper blocks go to which Irqs

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 13 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the manual is here: Unknown Multi I/O VLB Card (Hornet Technology?) VL-300 with SCSI if you didn't find it yet...