VOGONS

First post, by pedro_rckt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought this Diamond Stealth, already defective. I found it curious that the Bios chip was poorly positioned, so I removed it, cleaned the socket contacts, also read the software using the Minipro without any problems. I put it back in the socket and still nothing works. Strangely, I hear ONE POST beep, and apparently, everything will work, but the screen doesn't change the orange LED to green. I tried with another video card together, with the monitor on the working card and it gets stuck with the list of IDE devices on the screen. I can open Windows 98 with another PCI card together without problems (two PCI video cards that work).

My question is how to find the defective component. I have basic equipment, so I could try to change the RAMDAC, or memory modules, but before blasting the card with hot air I need to get a better idea of the problem. Some one has any idea how to test it?

Visually, I have not found problems, the S3 chip and Texas Instrument RAMDAC are (as far as I can see) properly seated.

I will check with my POST analyzer, but I don't think it will give me real insight here.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have ~5 of these cards and only one works. I've never seen a series of so many defective cards while visually looking fine - maybe also Radeon 9800PRO.

I'm curious what will you find out 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 10, by pedro_rckt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Babasha, thank you for the fast reply,

Yes, I used contact cleaner. I don't see how it could POST with a bad connection to the PCI bus. As far as I know, BIOS checks the first 256k of video memory so the card has some kind of communication with the main board. More ideas are appreciated.

Reply 4 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can measure FB2 FB3 FB4 ferrite beads for connection, if you had oscilloscope you could directly look at the potentially generated signal
you can try poking all s3/ramdac pins with a toothpick under magnification looking for moving ones, or start computer while squeezing s3 /ramdac chips between your fingers

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 10, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-09-29, 06:08:

I have ~5 of these cards and only one works. I've never seen a series of so many defective cards while visually looking fine - maybe also Radeon 9800PRO.

I'm curious what will you find out 😉

I wonder why this is so. IMO the DRAM cards of the same era are pretty much bomb proof. For example, I have one 868 which came with my Pentium system in 1995. It was in use several years and at some point I dismantled the system and recycled most parts. This card was one of the parts which I kept for testing purposes, but after that, it spent years in cold storage and was definitely not kept in optimal conditions.

It is currently sitting in one of my 486/PCI system and works 10/10.

Reply 6 of 10, by pedro_rckt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update on my problem: Tested continuity from the RGB output of the DAC, from the pin on the IC to the output of the ferrite I got continuity (good). As I know from playing with Ethernet cards with XTIDE BIOS, as soon as all IDE drives are tested, the system runs all devices ROMs. So my suspicion of a failure to run the VBIOS made me review my BIOS, and it looks ugly. Opening VBIOS files of that card (found online) and similar DIAMOND Stealth cards, it is possible to read copyright text that appears on screen. See the attached images for clarity.

Now I am not so sure about the DAC, something before that is broken. I checked the clock for the DAC and it is working, so here is a list of what I already checked:

• Big capacitors are fine (not in complete short, just ramp up to a stable impedance, but not completely open).
  • General output resistors (checked values), ferrite beads, continuity from DAC to output.
  • Crystal that serves as DAC clock, fine to
  • Tested with a recently programmed EPROM

If someone has an idea of what should be my next step, please let me know!

Attachments

• Filename
    3000_207.zip
    File size
    18.59 KiB
    Downloads
    23 downloads
    File comment
    Diamond Stealth 64 Video PCI (S3 Vision968) BIOS
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Wrong bios.JPG
    Filename
    Wrong bios.JPG
    File size
    105.17 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Diamond Stealth 64 Video PCI (S3 Vision968) strange BIOS
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Right bios.JPG
    Filename
    Right bios.JPG
    File size
    103.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Diamond Stealth 64 Video PCI (S3 Vision968) found BIOS
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 7 of 10, by pedro_rckt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just did some news tests, I am more lost now!

With the old BIOS, I can only hear one short beep on POST (the only video card is the S3 968). With another card as my main display adapter, it locks just after all IDE devices are listed. With the new BIOS, the POST code is one long and three short beeps. With another card (one beep on POST), I see Windows loading, but the system locks on Windows 98 loading screen. With safe mode, it freezes with a corrupted screen (on the working card). Maybe I should test on a more modern Windows with better multi-display capabilities?

Attachments

• IMG_20230930_032836.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230930_032836.jpg
    File size
    1.94 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Diamond (S3 Vision968) AND Diamond (Alliance ProMotion AT24)
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_20230930_032705.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20230930_032705.jpg
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Diamond (S3 Vision968) AND Diamond (Alliance ProMotion AT24)
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 8 of 10, by pedro_rckt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, more information:

I check again the BIOS chip and I found out that the original one is a 64k so there are two copies of the original binary code. So if a read it as a 27512 ROM it shows a readable text (Stealth 64 Video VRAM and so on). So the BIOS is not the problem. I checked the continuity from BIOS pins to a pair of 744F374 logic chips, and it looks fine. So now I am considering a problem with RAM. With no BIOS on the card, I got a post error, and with the original bios, my computer has ONE beep on POST. So could it be the first ram chip that failed or has some trace broken? I will try swapping the memory chips from the top row to the bottom row, maybe I can get a better idea of what is happening.

Reply 10 of 10, by pedro_rckt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A quick update on my case. Checked all resistor arrays, and nothing is open, all have 33 ohms. Checked all resistors. Nothing is burning on the touch, I don't have a thermal camera, but the PU and DAC are lukewarm. Memories are cold. Removed all ram in despair, as I can't find other issues. I plan to install only one set of four chips, if I can find good-priced sockets I will try them, I think it will make it easy to test.

Attachments

• IMG_20231001_030232.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20231001_030232.jpg
    File size
    460.24 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Diamond stealth 64 Video PCI (S3 Vision968) with no RAM
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0