VOGONS

First post, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Is it possible to use a rocker switch with LED to power up an ATX PSU? What would be the wiring in that case?

An example of such switch is this:
11155-01.jpg
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11155

It has three prongs: PWR, ACC, GND. Typically you power up an ATX PSU by wiring the green line to a black line. This rocker switch makes a closed connection between PWR and ACC when it's in the ON position. In the OFF position, nothing is connected. So I can connect ATX green to PWR, and ATX black to ACC. This would turn on the PSU when the switch is ON. But the LED only powers if GND is also connected to ground and the switch is in the ON position. So I'm thinking this won't work.

If this type of switches doesn't work, is there a correct switch with LED that can be used instead of the above?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 10, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, for powering the ATX power supply you have to connect the PS_ON to the ground. But when you connect the power supply to a motherboard, the switch will short the pins on the motherboard for a moment. You can’t use the rocker switch if you're planning to use the power supply to power the motherboard.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 10, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I want to power up an AT motherboard with the PSU. The PSU is actually a pico PSU, and the ATX connector is going through a ATX2AT adapter, which has two lines coming out of it for manual power up (green and black). I'm hoping to find a power switch with LED in it integrated. Fallback plan of course is to have a dedicated power LED.

Reply 3 of 10, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wbahnassi wrote on 2023-09-30, 22:45:

The PSU is actually a pico PSU, and the ATX connector is going through a ATX2AT adapter, which has two lines coming out of it for manual power up (green and black). I'm hoping to find a power switch with LED in it integrated.

Details of ATX2AT adapter? (there's a few different designs)

Reply 5 of 10, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

M'kay, can't use that switch for purpose intended ~ PS_ON is active low (switched to ground), so there's no current/voltage present to drive the LED.

YVDsTve.png

You can use a SPST switch with isolated LED (4pin switch) ...

Reply 6 of 10, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like E-Switch R1966A series is a suitable switch (two terminals for switching purposes and two terminals for LED purposes, that you could hook up to Power LED on your motherboard) but they are rectangular. There should be a circular switch with similar circuitry I guess.

Reply 7 of 10, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-10-01, 01:33:

Looks like E-Switch R1966A series is a suitable switch (two terminals for switching purposes and two terminals for LED purposes, that you could hook up to Power LED on your motherboard) but they are rectangular. There should be a circular switch with similar circuitry I guess.

Yeah, something like that ~ I do note on the datasheet there's no dropper resistor for the led, so one would need to include it (likely left out so different LED supply voltages are catered for)

17CTZ2n.png

Reply 8 of 10, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you powered the LED from the "power LED" aka keylock header from your motherboard, since the ATX power switch pins don't provide a +5V anyway, doesn't that circuit already incorporate a resistor?

Reply 9 of 10, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-10-01, 01:43:

If you powered the LED from the "power LED" aka keylock header from your motherboard, since the ATX power switch pins don't provide a +5V anyway, doesn't that circuit already incorporate a resistor?

Most do, yes... but I tend to assume nothing =)

Reply 10 of 10, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys that makes sense. I'm not attached to a circular switch. A rectangular one can work too. I'll need to take a ride to my electronics shop and see if has something with 4 pins and an LED.

Cheers!